Leadership Group 2018 - Announced

LAV

Here bud,
This is from Sept 17.

There was plenty of people who thought Hooker should have been captain. Imagine the hysteria when he had a few of his quiet games at full forward in the first half of the year if he was captain at the time.

Or Zerrett when he got tagged a few times later in the year…

Or Daniher when he kicked 1.6…

Or Goddard when he pointed…

1 Like

5 Likes

That still makes me laugh.

That and Stewart making that flog Darcy look like a fool on live television.

And Smith putting that reporter in her place for not listening was a close third😀

Here bud.
Got it now. you’ve repeated yourself often enough.
You have a limited understanding of on field leadership. In my opinion Ok?

Do you want to replace Hepp as captain this year?
Yes or no.
Cause that’s what your comments imply.

Haha cool Windsock.

It’s not important to be consistently winning your position when you are captain then I take it?

Or.Hepps physicality inspires others??? aaaahh doubtful

Or his instructional approach, encouragement etc is enough? Maybe

Or his discipline and.defensive efforts set the tone??? Nope

Or he repeatedly steps up when the big moments count? Historically yes,.2017…not so sure.

I’ve pointed out some challenges and areas he struggled in during 2017. Please highlight to me his “onfield” strengths in 2017? Then tell me how they compare to emerging leaders like zerrett and McG.

As for you question. No, probably not advocating for change…BUT I’d like to see an improvement from last year and I am very confident he is a beneficiary of timing. A year or 2 later and he would not have been selected skipper IMO. Zerrett and McGrath will outgrow him…fast.

For the record I’ve pointed out issues. Still love Hepp and I have no doubt at this moment in time his off field leadership of our club is exceptional.

• getting personal and critiquing the poster not the post is probably a dead giveaway you are struggling to argue your point.

Thanks for finally responding clearly
Heppell stays as captain, hope his form improves.
Hardly controversial.
Ps pointing out you’re repeating yourself is not getting personal.

Thanks for your lack of response to mine.

4 Likes

I have simultaneously “avoided my original comment” whilst also continually “repeating myself”.

I have also been chastised about “finally answering a question” meanwhile said poster has provided no real opinion, evidence or otherwise as to why they feel the opposite.

Blitz life.

How do you measure this improvement? How will we know he is being more “Captainy”?

Also what do you mean by “onfield”? Do you mean the 120 minutes that players are on the ground during the game or does it include the pre-game, after game, qtr time and half time breaks? Does it include when the guys are training (in the gym, running, inside skill work, outside skill work)? Does it include leadership of the young players predominately in VFL? Does it include keeping the spirits up of long-term injured players? Does it include all the team meetings? Does it include keeping the players spirits up? Does it include keeping the players motivated to stick to their training schedules and their dietary regimes? or is all this stuff “off-field”?

Your view of Captaincy seems to be right out of the 1970s when the captain was often the teams best (or toughest) player and they didn’t have to do anything expect toss the coin and say phrases like “Do it for the ■■■■■■■ jumper!!” at the breaks. The modern day Captain does a lot more than that. Yeah Heppell didn’t have his best year on the ground in terms of his own game - but it wasn’t bad. I think we as fan’s can rightly make an assessment on that.

But how do we assess all that other stuff I mentioned above? We can’t directly because we aren’t within the club. We can indirectly by gauging the general vibe around the club. And the result there seem nothing but positive - players wanting to join our club, new coaches and other staff joining the club and commenting on the positive culture and other footy pundits commenting on the feel the EFC is building something. Surely the Captain has a role in all that.

4 Likes

Why do you all hate everything?

Agree

Let’s be honest. Most of us make opinions based on small levels of information. I do however believe Heppells onfield leadership last year had room for improvement.

Nobody has really shared any strong opinions on why that’s not the case…

Nor has anyone challenged my opinion that zerrett and McG will end up better leaders in time. Very quick time.

But anyway. Happy for someone to actually share a contrary opinion with supporting info…I’m open. It’s just opinion in the end. How about one of the contrarians share one???

It’s fine to have an opinion but I think its best to move on from this discussion.

I agree with you that Heppell struggled at times last year but I believe that’s to be expected after a year out and taking over from one of the greatest leaders this club has had.

From all reports Merrett is more of a leader in the Goddard mould so for all we know that may not work.

McGrath has leadership written all over him. But is he anywhere near ready considering he still is not fully developed as a player? Most likely not.

Heppell has captained throughout juniors and always looked the heir apparent to Jobe so he deserves an opportunity to do it his way and create his own style.

I think we will see a better player next season and no doubt an even stronger leader and to be honest I could question that even now.

He loves the club and will do everything he can to take us to success.

1 Like

Hepp,Zach,BJ,Hurls,Hooksy,T-Bell ?
http://www.aflphotos.com.au/galleries/results/?q=collection:AFL+2018+Media+-+Essendon+Team+Photo+Day+060218&image_id=566964&page=2

1 Like

And TIPPA ranks ahead of our AFLsuX skipper.

Based on that photo i think the leadership group will be.

Captain: Heppell
VC: Merrett
Hurley
Bellchambers
Hooker
Daniher
Goddard

Would be good.

He’s a very positive and influential character around the club. And frankly he needs to lift when we need him onfield as well so added responsibility in general ideal.

Based on that photo it could even be a massive and ridiculous 10 man leadership group consisting of all of those plus Tippa, Smith and Zaka. Hope not.

If go something like:
cap: Heppell (possibly last year before swapping to Zac)
vc: Merrett
Daniher
Hurley
Hooker