Leadership Group 2020 - Who is "Highly Rated Internally"?

Agree - still have no idea what he really does.

I would be curious why a “streamlined” leadership group is beneficial as well.

Ball mentioned that both Hurley and Hooker weren’t to pleased about the decision so how does that benefit the side?

who gives us ■■■■ who’s names on an arbitrary “leadership group” list?

people really that players like hurley and hooker wouldn’t be consulted on a daily basis about their thoughts on issues? homies pleeaaassseee

1 Like

I think we established that Hooker and Hurley care that they are not on the arbitrary list.

That doomed rag, the Age has a typical negative headline " Hooker, Hurley cut from leadership group"

Look, I know times are tough in the newspaper business now that “The Age” is a useless withering appendage on a TV station, like a ■■■■ on a 97 year old man, but lets not allow depressive negativity to permeate everything.

Its time for The Age to embrace positivity and curiosity, take a leaf out of Rupert Murdochs playbook and use Outbrain methodology to come up with alternatives. like:

“You would never believe what Essendon has done now” or
“10 leaders who did not make the Essendon Leadership Group” or
“What happened to these former Essendon Leaders” or
“Secret all Essendon Leaders have in common” or
“5 Essendon leaders share top leadership tips”

But “The Age” staff are too up themselves to change, even when print news faces death. In the meantime, just block The Age because they will never write anything positive about Essendon

3 Likes

Question is, what does the leadership group do as a leadership group?

I see them as representatives of the players and are there to handle issues for individual players and the playing group as a whole. They’d be there to maintain standards and drive morale and ensure training and culture standards are met. During a game they’d have the voice (above other voices) to address issues and direct the players to ensure they are doing the right/expected thing.

If it was business situation, I see the leadership group as the executive committee of the playing group. You have the chair (Heppell) and deputy chair (Merrett), with Myers, Fantasia and Daniher as representatives drawn from the playing group. Myers, Fantasia and Daniher provide advice and support to Heppell and Merrett on there to help the captain and the vice-captain. They may also be delegated specific jobs. Myers for instance to look after the kids.

No different to a work place, where some get to sit on the big boys committee. And committees are a dynamic beast and their size and make up can affect their effectiveness. Appears last year we had communication issues. Maybe too many voices caused this. So they made it smaller in 2019 to make it more efficient.

And like a work place everyone has a role to play and can show leadership. You don’t need the executive to decide a note needs to go up by the sink telling everyone to put their dirty dishes into the dishwasher and not leave the sink a mess.

5 Likes

we did? i missed that bit. where?

Luke Ball mentioned it in the video.

1 Like

Thank God we don’t have “Co- Captains”

4 Likes

22 CAPTAINS ON THE WING

3 Likes

I think Ball said they were disappointed. Which is fair enough. You’d liked having that as part of your role at the club. But they should also know things change and if they reduce the group size then someone has to miss out. I think it is what it is.

KFC to release 22 Captain Wings.

I liked the idea of having a member from each line in the leadership group. Now there is no defensive representative.

Both Hooker and Hurley have made huge sacrifices in the past to stay at the club so I’m not as convinced as you are that this is the right way to go about things.

1 Like

Got the same impression. I’m guessing he’s there to chat to/help the players with their footy but also their personal life away from football. Help them with their banter. Just making sure all is good.

maybe Daniher is going to play full back this season

1 Like

Personally I feel Joey’s lucky to be in given that he barely played last year and is no guarantee this year. Hooker is stiff to miss out as he has always impressed me as the consummate team man. He was one of the first to re-sign in 2016 and has been happy to play whatever role he has been asked ie forward or back without complaint. Goes into bat for the younger guys on-field too.

3 Likes

If that means he’s playing then that’s a win.

no full back until mid season…

1 Like

We are going to fark this up again aren’t we Bomb Doe?

Please hold me… and Finding Nino…

1 Like

With Hurls and Hooks out, leadership looks very onball and attack orientated which I like.

Go Dons.