Leadership Group 2023

Captain and vic captain is enough leaders why clubs need to have 4-5 players as leaders i dont understand

I think there is an element of scale. Try managing a team of 22ish people - thats difficult.

That’s the personnell ratio when you have a leadership group of 2 in a playing list of 45ish.

A large leadership group also means you expose more players to being leaders.

Those are some of the arguments for. In practice I’m not sure. It probably depends a lot on the players, the coaching/off field structure and what exactly you want to get out of a leadership group.

I had this thought before his B&F that Peter Wright was a prime candidate to be the next captain with a new era/coach, Captain Peter Wright is your typical follow me type of leader. The hardest worker at the club, first into the club and last out of club, does speak articulately and people look up to him as he sets the standard (that’s not heightist joke). I noted the games that Wright lifted were the games when he was instructing, pointing, setting up the ground, resetting the forwards and mids (Games I saw live). If not captain certainly would make a goo vice captain behind Merrett I guess.

2 Likes

un orthodox I agree, but would be a way to bring in the culture and leadership from the most dominant/successful club of the last couple of decades

I am betting Merrett will get the captaincy but it would be the wrong choice.

Personally Laverde is the standout option atm with perhaps Redman VC.

Zach just lacks that intangible leadership presence.

Co-Captains: Merrett & Redman
Vice captains: Laverde, McGrath, Guelfi

Captain: Patrick Voss
VC: N/A

1 Like

No thanks

4 Likes

No brainer

Zerrett- Capt

Draper - VC

1 Like

Merrett - Captain
Redman - Vice

Draper, Laverde and Guelfi leadership group.

Toughness and putting your body on the line in a contest should be rated higher amongst the playing group.

1 Like

We dont have any decent leaders.

Hopefully someone stands up this preseason and says ■■■■ it, i have had enough of mediocrity. Follow me.

Spoiler, that person isn’t Dyson Heppell.

Captain - Merrett - he’s our best player so why not.
VC - Wright
Stringer, Laverde, Shiel

Back the experienced heads in
All these guys work hard on their own game, but its time they step up as leaders.

McGrath can bide his time out of the group, and work on his own game.

C - Merrett
VC - McGrath
Leadership - Redman & Wright

idk. slim pickings, yikes.

Gimme Langers over Wright and I’m just about with you.

2 Likes

Merrett will be captain. He will drive standards and lead from the front, its a different leadership style to Heppell but its what we need. The rest, VC, leadership group etc is irrelevant. If players want to be leaders they don’t need to be part of a group.

The leadership group should be:
Langford
McGrath
Merrett
Redman

With the Captain being one of those (obviously).

1 Like

Wright (c)
Draper (vc)
Ridley (dvc) give the boy some responsibility. He’s, or should be, the general of the backline anyway.

We need an Essington bypass.

Why do you hate short people???

They’ve had a crack.
The player commitment in the latter half of last year should put a big red line through many supposed leaders.

Edit: you know who never put in a half-arsed effort?
Wright. Draper.
I’m taking Ridley over Redman on trust.

I want Wright to organise the forward-line, not Stringer.
I want Draper to organise the clearances, not Merrett or Parish.
And I want Ridley to organise the backline.

2 Likes

Captain: Merrett

Vice Captain: Redman

Rest of leadership group: Wright, McGrath

1 Like