Leadership Group 2023

I just want a footy team that plays real footy🤣

Seriously though totally agree with this.

1 Like

Rumours has it that an announcement re. Captain and assume leadership group is imminent?

FWIW - not a big fan of this but I think it will be

C: Heppell
VC x 3: Merrett, McGrath, Redman

Anyone but Merrett being Captain please, don’t really get top boy leadership vibes off him, and I really struggle to understand why he is seen as the obvious pick on here and elsewhere in football world. I think outside people love him more in terms of leadership than the lads around him at the club.

Just because you’re a great player for the club who trains hard and has high expectations of yourself and others, doesn’t automatically make you good Captain material.

McGrath is my choice to eventually take over personally, a good player for us, not our best by any means but that’s not important, younger and just gives off better leadership vibes externally then Merrett I think.

But what do I know hey.

5 Likes

That’s not what I had seen reported anywhere. I thought the younger blokes in the group get that he’d not really made any kind of effort to get to know them, and so they voted for blokes that had.

With you on Merrett but not on McGrath.

2 Likes

I think by Merrett’s own admission that in the past he has been too abrasive and needs to get around the boys a bit more. Aside from being a really good player, I don’t think his skill set is suited to Captaincy.

i think shiel will be in the leadership group this season

4 Likes

Leadership Group

Merrett, Redman, McGrath, Shiel, Walla, Draper

That would make me reasonably happy.

I’m almost certain I watched an interview where he described the issue as him being “too inside himself” with regard to being removed from the leadership group. He’s recently said he’s been working on being more open in order to improve his leadership.

1 Like

I thought I read somewhere on Facebook that Ridley was a contender for captain?

1 Like

3 Likes

different take on him being vocal compared to the training reports

maybe his voice is loud and forceful in a restricted range…

pretty much the exact opposite to what training reporters have said, but that seems to be a strategic leak/conditioning so i guess it’s merrett

6 Likes

Or maybe he sends the most msgs in the WhatsApp group

1 Like

Ham for Captain, make it happen Essendon

1 Like

the same training reporters that have said ‘wow we’re improving’ then we see round 1 and go wtf were you watching?

2 Likes

Big name?
Anthony McDonald-Tippingwuti

8 Likes

If we got to play Essendon seconds in Round 1, we’d be shoe ins.

The reports are basically what is seen when we are the opposition.
We don’t see how that translates to when we are actually against an opposition club.

But you’re welcome to turn up to training and give your own report if you wish.

5 Likes

Why doesn’t Parish get a mention in our leadership discussion?