Leadership Group 2023

He was also on @CJohns patreon show and he said Redman has captaincy traits but he’s not ready yet. He reckons it’s between Heppell and Merrett

I agree.

Can someone explain to me the knock on Merrett.

Hepp might be great for the touchy feely stuff.

But as a supporter I want a captain with passion & desire to win - Merrett has this in bucketloads.

2 Likes

if anyone listened to @CJohns podcast he said that scott has quite often looked to shiel, and got him to gather the group, bring things in etc or words to that effect

thst says to me, he’s clearly in the leadership group in some capacity

4 Likes

I think the knock is that he’s not vocal enough on-field or a known speaker in group situations.

2 Likes

I think there’s a perception of him that he’s somewhat selfish, in terms of being very consumed by his own performances rather than the team. Whether that’s correct or not I can’t comment. Very much like a Brendon Goddard, sets very high standards of himself but maybe not a leader of a group.

Yep. It’s either that or Scott has realised his experience is vital for the young team and is trying to get him to share it around more. Personally, I’ve really come around to Shiel and reckon it would be the former.

1 Like

And he’s described himself across various interviews as being focused on himself. Not as in he’s up himself, but that he doesn’t engage (I’m obviously paraphrasing) with everyone that he plays with. He’s said he needed to work on opening up. He’s said in his opinion he was out of the leadership group because he didn’t make an effort to get to know the newer guys. He plays like a captain and he often gives the type of during the game media grabs you’d expect from a captain, but he is not a motivator of men, which is a significant knock on anyone aiming to be any kind of leader.

3 Likes

He got 37 that night but didn’t go near it at the start of the third when the tigers kicked 6 straight.

Did any of our players get near it when the Tiges put the foot down?

2 Likes

I’m all for Redman but I think Zach would become an even better player if given the captaincy.

1 Like

Merrett and Redman duel captain’s. If you don’t have one leader strong enough, two is better. It’s good enough for a lot of better teams than us, Sydney as an example.

1 Like

It’s tricky. Redman appears to have the raw attributes of a captain, but overlooking Merrett will probably not be well received by Merrett. Merrett has been talked about as the next captain based on his playing ability so much that I’d be surprised if he didn’t feel like he’s owed it. But he has so much non-fitness/non-playing stuff to work on that I would worry about him over thinking it and it affecting his game.

So they get to sort it out at 20 paces? And which captains are they going to duel?

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of it but I recon Merrett will share the captaincy with McGrath. I’d prefer Redman.

Not all of our players are putting their hand up to be the next captain. The expectation is that we perform better, but when the momentum has been lost…… it’s the responsibility of our leaders to stand up & halt that momentum.

Our leaders traditionally go missing when momentum has been lost.

All the local dogs would follow him into battle.

2 Likes

He spent more time on the bench in Q3 (21%) than the other three quarters (11-16%). That may explain a chunk of the flat patch in Q3.

2 Likes

Whats the fkn hold up, announce Merrett already

1 Like