Left Essendon - Alex Morgan

Totally fair comment. Surprised he wouldn’t jump at a 1 year deal, at least we still gave him the chance to prove himself.
Must have another offer.

Enjoy Norf, or another VFL side that trains at a community oval. Lolz.

Long should probably take that spot on the list now. McNiece still signed as a Cat B Rookie or will he be upgraded?

Norf probably offered him 10 million over 5 years

12 Likes

seriously what has long shown to warrant a senior spot? if youre basically pushing morgan out, then surely you dont give that spot to someone else whos on equally shaky ground. doesnt make sense.

2 Likes

Can’t say I blame him. There are a lot of players ahead of him on our list…probably most of them.

1 Like

Yup. Well, Dodoro is on record as believing that 2nd round picks are for swinging for the fences. When you connect, you’ll hit some sixes, but most of the time, you lose your stumps.

14 Likes

I think Longy will be extremely lucky to keep his spot this year, but even he showed more than Morgan did this year.

Wish all the best to Alex. there was no way he was going to crack into our side. its probably the smart thing to do if North are offering him a more long-term deal and a better shot at senior footy

An average footballer, i doubt many tears are being shed at tullamarine.

And I suppose it’s better 2 years 0 games and gone than 5 years 3 games and gone.

2 Likes

I would have thought a shallow draft was the only reason we offers him 1 year and didn’t delist. Morgan VS pick 100 you’d probably take Morgan for another year but him going is inconsequential.

All the best to him though. Hope he gets some games at North.

1 Like

Well, Jake Long will be a certainty to stay now.
Probably offer Jackson Merrett another contract.

might upgrade a McNeice

Waste of draft pick 29 and waste of time we put into him.

2 Likes

I actually think that’s a pretty sound strategy. Otherwise you end up filling your list with vanilla players that are in and out of the side.

Merrett, Langford, Laverde, Morgan, Ridley and Begley all fit that high risk strategy and at least a couple of them look like very good footballers.

It becomes obvious quickly if they aren’t up to it and then you turn them over.

2018 becomes a big year for both Langford and Laverde I think.

3 Likes

Win some, lose some. To be fair, he had a chronic hamstring injury, and it basically crippled him for 18 months, and inhibited him from using his speed off the mark for nearly 2 years…

It looks like we are becoming a top side. It makes it very very hard for average players to get into such a side, unless there are injuries…

We just replaced one set of problems with another, and the only solution is to keep on cycling players through the list, knowing that fewer recruits will get a game at AFL level, when compared with a poor side like Carlton. ( see what I did there?)

1 Like

No need to upgrade him. He’s in a separate branch of the Rookie List isn’t he? He’s a free hit basically.

laters

It’s all about increasing quality now rather than numbers whilst trying to keep the list together.

It’s easy to see why we got somebody like Stringer in. If as reported we are only paying him $600k then that type of recruit could be an absolute bargain.

Our list is in really good shape at the moment.

1 Like

Long featured in the bests in VFL quite regularly, Morgan not at all this past year.

Finish your hammy and eff off?

13 Likes