Left Essendon - Alex Morgan

Out of all the clubs you could go to…
Start booking holidays for September Morgan…
Can’t say the same for Essendon…

Parish is the only quality from that year

Tippa! We can’t ignore the rookie draft.
But I agree, overall our 2015 draft is looking pretty bad. Eades was in there as well.

2 Likes

Yeah but have a look at the players we didnt get past St fannga :frowning:

This should be Norths’ slogan.

6 Likes

Understand his decision. If we weren’t prepared to match length of norths offer he made the correct decision. Dissapointed to see him go as he has had a lot of injuries and finally started to look like he was coming good. I was very excited when we picked him up. His draft highlights looked very smooth.

That said. I think one year deal was appropriate offer. Possibly a 2nd year trigger if he plays x amount of games…

Good luck to him.

I would, now.

1 Like

You’re calling a draft where we picked a future A grade midfielder, two AFL quality mature aged key position players and TIPPA! a “disaster” after only two years? Only one player from that draft is no longer on an AFL list and that’s pick 64, who was always a high risk/reward pick, who got in trouble with the law and went home.

If one of Francis and Redman (who both have heaps of talent, but have been held back by injuries this year) can carve out a decent career it will have been a very good draft. If one or both can become top line players then it’s a massive draft.

8 Likes

This hurts even more as I broke a TV when we passed on him and took Morgan instead.

1 Like

You should hang out with aceman.

Redman, Francis, Morgan, Eades…all combined a total of 8 games. Brown is gone!!! and Hartley Ok, thats not a good stike rate

Two stars in Parish and Walla and it doesn’t matter what else happens.

The fact that Francis can/will come good and some solid tall defenders is just a bonus.

I seriously wonder what people think is a win these days.

2 Likes

2 years>1year.

Best wishes to Alex, opens up an opportunity on our list for someone else.

1 Like

One thing this does do is show up how stupid the “free” agency rules are

If he leaves during trade week - when the club can actually do something about it - and he’s 26+ y.o: the player is a “free” agent (which means he has less freedom), his club can hold him by matching a contract, and the club get compensation if the player leaves

Because he leaves now (with no other avenue of compensation for the club to pursue), and because he’s got a potential 10 years in front of him, not 4: you get donuts.

None of it makes any logical sense.
Not to mention, if a manager wanted to be a jerk, they could do this with a blue chip kid, and hold a club to absolute ransom - hold out on signing until after trade week, then “give us $1.5M a year or we walk, you get nothing”

It would be extraordinarily easy for the AFL to fix these loopholes, yet they won’t.

4 Likes

Brown is gone? Where did he go? He was injured for most of the year, but actually played some good footy in the firsts before it happened.

If you’re going to have a whinge at least get your facts right.

6 Likes

Shame isn’t it, probably couldnt count backwards from 100 in 3s.

if Brown gets another game at Essendon we have got big problems… hes finished

I thought Brown was good before getting injured.

In fact Woosha was playing him in front of Gleeson.

2 Likes

Based on what? His career ending injury? His rapid decline due to old age?

Being a free agent would make no difference at this point. RFA period is done, there’s no contract matching any more, there’s no moving directly to a club, it’s ND/PSD or nothing (if there’s a contract from their current club on the table). You’re right that there’d be no compensation though.

Edit: We’ve also been over this before somewhere, but when a club matches an RFA contract offer, the player doesn’t have to stay, it just puts him into exactly the same situation that eg Morgan is in now.

Edit edit: I do agree though that it’s stupid clubs can get compensation for letting a long serving player go, but not if they just let a short serving player go. Because FA compensation is dumb.