Lessons from the 2018 finals

Context. He is meh above his head.

1 Like

nah, mate. The points I made are relevant regardless of the result because they were proven to be successful.

Dead set I have never seen a bigger set of cry babies after a gf. And I’m not even talking about the players.

are you saying we have 1-2 players that don’t run 2 ways in the midfield?

I didn’t seen enough of us this year to make a definitive call (and on TV it’s hard to get a true gauge of the players running patterns) but there’s definitely been instances where if I was the coach I’d be livid with how hard individual players were pushing into defence.

No matter how many times I hear the West Coast theme song I always forget how horrible it is. Maybe this is the year I finally learn

When you have a team on its knees…don’t rest players as a tactic to make sure they see the game out, stick the knife in further and put the game to bed. You can slow the game down & play keepy offs when its out of reach.

2 Likes

One thing I noticed this yearw was we didn’t sook after crap decisions, we just got on with it.

Also, we have quite a bit of niggle in our game, which I like, and I think we will benefit from it in finals when the whistle gets put away. Actually, we often look at “frees against” after the game and feel ripped off, but a lot of them are for “in the back” when it was going to be a ball-up anyway (no prior), or for chopping the arms when it was going to be a mark anyway. We just make the opposition “earn it”, and I like that, if it’s not really costing us anything.
We need to read the mood of the umps a bit better though, if they start blowing the whistle for soft frees early then we need to pull our heads in.

Sure, but improved over last year, and I’d argue better than it’s been for a decade.
And, shock horror, the real blowout losses have pretty much dried up completely.

1 Like

So Richmond are getting Lynch, and want him primarily because of what Cox did to them in the prelim, CLUNK CITY which eliminates their pressure game in defense as the ball does not go to ground.

Reason to start Hooker FWD next season?

No.

1 Like

No. Other teams are more likely to be trying the same thing with big forwards, so hooker will be more important in defence.
Plus we’ve got Smack! And Joe

This. This is all we have to do IMO. We at least have the equal talent to those sides, just don’t have that will or unrelenting desire. Yet.

8 Likes