Let's Talk Solutions

Bucks had been afforded a lot of patience before he turned things around, changing the culture of the place and surrounding himself with solid citizens.

It took 5 years (the first 2, Pies played finals on the back of talented senior players) but he rid the club of questionable types and brought in players (yeah, some stuffed up off the field but there is genuine care amongst team mates) he wanted to execute his game plan.

Like others have said, there might be a period of ordinary on field results but the sooner the unwanted types are moved on, the sooner supporters can start enjoying their footy again.

2 Likes

Not just no head coach, not a single person in any place of responsibility has managed to do it, not has the club evolved to be anything other than the same little fiefdoms that existed when Sheeds got there.

Anyone listen to the Howie Games Fev episode? Considering Fev said Carlton was an absolute cultural disaster when they managed to lure Judd shows just how far bags of money will sway you.

Merda! That’s amazing.

1 Like

Sheeds put up Choco Williams name to take on Worsfolds role.

Would have him in at Essendon in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

Give me a pick

2 Likes

Imagine instead of a yearly thread on Blitz there was a yearly benfti draft pick for us. Most exciting part of the year!

Saints were very good for big chunks of the game. Would be excited to be a Saints fan.

So culture… what part of the culture ? Losing culture or are we talking mateship inside the club…
One hand shows rutten giving great kudos and nice introductions to first gamers being selected for the game… everyone seemed engaged and happy… the. Suddenly everyone wants our.

If we are talking living away from home and losing , I can see how that would be pure ■■■■. Everyone would be frustrated and touchy…

But if there’s something deeper , what exactly are we suggesting ?

Nothing will change unless there’s an external review and recommendations are accepted. While we keep being our own judges we won’t get anywhere.

3 Likes

BRING BACK HIRDY

2 Likes

Got enough threads coveringe this. Don’t need more.

Employ Ronnie andrews , John burke and solly and roger Merrett put them all in a corner and sort the wheat from the chaff !

1 Like

Not sure if this has been posted in other threads:

1 Like

A week pig shootin’ with Saltbush up at Wentworth would sort out a few of the boys

“The club of magic beans and quick fixes.”

Just how a spivvy businessman would run the club… everything surface level… everything for show.

Get rid of the spivs should be Point 1

1 Like

The only way you’ll get better is to admit you’ve got a problem, unless you’re Essendon of course. I realise they’re not going to air their dirty linen so, the next best thing (for supporters at least) is for others to call them out. The latest “revelation”…

Saga guys getting a free ride because of guilt, giving them an unrealistic and damaging sense of entitlement. FMD, 4 years of toxic selection eating away at the fabric of the playing group with players picking and choosing when they’d adhere to team rules without recrimination.

Senior players berating kids or players trying to establish themselves, while failing to deliver on expected standards.

Must be why we bought Woosha in, he did the same thing at Essendon as he did at WEST COKE while almost half the team were using drugs, its a good thing they were winning at the time. And again, denial is a wonderful thing, no one knew anything.

He allowed the EFC player to play the way they wanted, to manage themselves and didn’t they did a great job of that? Once again, he stood by in his introverted self and said and did nothing. How many people could see there was a problem/s? Nothing changed!

Tptb were content to let it ride until they bought Rutten as an assistant in without due process. Now they have another mess on their hands. And; it will be interesting to watch the repair of the broken unworkable bits take place. Get out the broom.

To the CEO and the Board - not good enough once again, all asleep on your watch.

I think we need to focus on the “now”, rather than the saga or the fact we have been crap for 15 years, or that we were good before that.
This year was a horror year, we came 13th after coming eighth last year. Lots of injuries, lots of disruption, etc.
Can’t talk about the culture at Tulla affecting the players when they haven’t been there for 6 months.
If there IS a culture problem, it needs to be isolated.
Do the older crew not agree with the game plan?
Are kids dominating at training and not getting selected?
Are certain players being “managed” so they don’t have to train but still get selected?
Are there divisions within the playing group?
Has Heppel lost respect because he can’t play?
Are certain players encouraging others to ignore the game plan once in the field?
Does anyone know what the game plan is?
Is the chain of command not clear?
Is it not clear why certain players are favorites?

We need a circuit breaker.

Start with Xavier and Richardson. You can bring in any players you can name, but if the club has totally lost its way internally then the buck stops with the head of footy and head of commercial arm.

Ffs, it feels like we spent more time and effort trying to develop a friggin world of warcraft team than we did trying to develop real footballers. Honestly, what the fark was that!!?

Oh, we need revenue streams. For what? To pay players who don’t want to play for us because it stopped feeling like a footy club years ago!?

And in fairness , it predates the current executive. This club has mis-prioritised it’s aims for decades. Even Hirds era was misguided - even beyond the obvious saga (which was, tbh, a symptom of the overall outlook, not the cause of it).

Maybe it’s a personal rankle, but I vividly recall when Jackie Mihocek , myself and others got shut out of training. In the name of “professionalism”. The club got so far up its own backside that “professionalism” became the coverall excuse for any and all manner of arrogance and stupidity. It completely forgot that the Club exists entirely because of its people. Both within and without. It put more than half the playing list on a light aircraft in a typhoon because “professionalism” dictated that half an hour of faster recovery (from a preseason match of all things ) was the 0.05 percent advantage we would sieze. An absolute cluster fark.

Then we moved into damage control (understandably) , but marketing spiel became the preeminent selling point, not footy. The club survived due to good commercial arrangements, yes, but ultimately it all rested on a bedrock of fan support. We never left. We waged a constant rear guard defence of our club. We still do - look at the anger of the Saga thread that continues. Members joined up that never had. Records were set. But why? And here’s where the heirarchy failed again. Because we loved and love the club. Not because the admin was so good. Not because they provide brilliant services, because of fancy marketing, because of corporate claptrap speak. No. What admin presumably took as endorsement of them and their actions was actually a rebound from the Saga disaster. We back our boys and our club to the hilt. We’re through the heartbreak, now we’re all onboard. But we were backing a phantom, a thin miasma that looked like the Essendon Football Club but was shredded into misty entrails of fog when we reached out to embrace it. Because the club, the real club, has been drifting away even as we watched the facade get a fancy new livery.

And now the cats out of the proverbial. You can’t corporate speak out of this one. You’re losing the players. And you’re losing the fans. One is the heartbeat, the other the lifeblood. Insiders are talking of strife and crisis. Not financial crisis, that’s irrelevant. Something far worse. A crisis of belief in the essence , the reality, of the institution itself. If the Corporation has strangled the club, then it has also drawn its own noose.

The real professionalism lies in recognising that an Australian football club is exactly that. In not trying to make it a new age conglomerate. In recognising that no one gives a ■■■■ if it makes a billion dollars, or can double speak in corporateze , or can outsmart itself by dreaming up spurious new “ideas” rather than admit that it’s already tried to be too clever by half. And that includes backgrounding media on outgoing players, seemingly in order to deny what we can already see. I hate that that happened. Hate it. It plays us all for fools even if it’s true.

I sit here on October 11 and I’m certain of several things. The Essendon Corporation has lost many of its current playing group. And it has lost the belief of its fans. They can argue the point all they like, they can justify whatever they like. It doesn’t change the reality. Rightly or wrongly, I don’t believe in Campbell . Not to do what we really want EFC to do. And I don’t believe in Richardson, not to run a Footy program. And I’m unsure on Rutten, mainly because I can’t get a read on where he sits in regard to clear internal playing list unrest.

All of that adds up to a diabolical situation for me as a fan. And therefore for the club as a, well, club. I can perhaps best sum it up as I desperately want the EFC to survive. The corporation feel needs to be expunged.

End of stream of thought rant.

20 Likes