LID OFF 2017 - Went all in, on a bluff, and had it called! The flop gives us a chance, on the turn it's 50/50, we're home on the river. Now to make a big run at the final table!

Whether we play finals or not… who knows. We would need to go on a fair kind of run but I’m sure we all agree we are capable of it. What I do like about our side is just how ■■■■■■ exciting we are when we get the game on our terms. I think it’s also interesting to note in relation to our ‘consistency’ since round 8 (the Geelong game) where we started to play our better football of the year we have won 5 (Geelong, Port, West Coast, Coll, St Kilda) by an average of 47.5 pts. In that time we have lost 4 (Richmond, GWS, Sydney, Brisbane) by an average of 10.5 pts. The facts are we were in winning positions or within striking distance against all of those teams we lost to and conversely didnt really look troubled in our wins. There is a ‘consistency’ there.
I appreciate you can make stats fit most arguments and as I’m sitting here after the glow of two commanding weekend performances however there is plenty to like in our performances over the last two months. From a developmental perspective I would prefer to be the team that can blow away anyone on there day and is showing demonstrable evidence of improved consistency than the team consistently being around the mark. If we had won against Sydney and Brisbane we would be the most hyped team in the league and in reality we are not far off that side. We haven’t really won ugly this year (perhaps the Brisbane game), id be very happy, with a scrappy win this week where we didn’t get the game we wanted but we ground it out anyway, I think that would speak to some mental maturity.

5 Likes

Depends on whether you are the groom or not.

5 Likes

The door is holding the lid ajar. We have to keep playing well, keep winning and kicking accurately.

Let the other teams crash and bash and destroy each other.

I’m all in, were going to win the lot this year here’s why

Jobe Watson – This guy was a rock in the face of an unending storm over the past few years, he went away and discovered there’s more to life than footy, like coffee & supermodels. He could have easily just walked away and not come back, no one would have blamed him, but he did come back, and I believe he is burning inside to have the opportunity to stand on the biggest stage in AFL and stick it right up them.

Brendon Goddard – Here’s a guy that came to us to experience the ultimate success and was dumped into the middle of a S H one T storm. He fronted the media, took on the captaincy and never once publically complained or stated he regreted the decision. He had every right to, but he didn’t, he will want as much as anyone to prove he made the right decision to come to Essendon. He, like Jobe, would be burning inside to experience the ultimate success and given the chance will stop at nothing to achieve it.

Cale Hooker & Michael Hurley – These two boys look determined to make up for lost time, both were visibly shaken when the decision was handed down. Cale recommitted early showing he was ready for redemption, Michael took his time and thought long and hard, there were times when even the most hardened of Essendon supporters thought it was a possibility that we were going to lose him, but he decided to stay. Both these men recommitted to finish the job, they said as much when they signed back on, they’re on a mission and I pity the fool that stands in their way.

Dyson Heppell – Dois may appear laid back and casual but I think there’s a hard edge to the man behind closed doors, I can easily see him after a loss like the Brisbane one pulling a few blokes aside, looking them in the eye and offering up a few words. There seems to be steel behind those eyes, he wants success, he wants to lead this club to the ultimate success, and if you look deep enough he has a determination about him that suggests he will achieve it.

The young boys –all tasted the bitter tears of defeat last year on an all too regular basis but have now tasted how good success is. They have seen what it’s like sitting at the bottom of the ladder and have no desire to see it again. They want to win, they had enough losing last year, its time.

The older boys – have battled through all the crap and now see light, they see the young ones coming through bringing excitement, they can see the chance to grab one before they go, be a part of the history of this great club, be remembered as the men who went through hell and came out the other side to win it all.

The cohesion between players is building, the players know the coach backs them in to win their positions, for the first time in a long time players have expressed their hunger for success and from the outside it doesn’t just sound like a typical footy cliché, they mean it. The season is as open as you want it, on any given day any team can win, our destiny is in our hands and we will grab it and win the whole damn thing

LID OFF

11 Likes

My ladder predictor has us as an away team in an eliminate final on our own merits in week 1.
(we get either 7th or 8th)
Likely against the swans, power or the dees.
(those teams between 4th and 6th)

i have us knocking out a richmond that had only barely scraped through to the final 8

I’m in Kyoto for our first final. Anywhere there that has an Aussie bar?

2 Likes

Richmond’s win today took them from ninth to fifth in my reckoning!

Till the follow-up set of random results next week, of course.

2 Likes

If we can keep winning, us finishing 3rd or 4th is not too outlandish a proposition.

The teams above us are playing each other in six games. If we rate the bulldogs, they are playing GWS at home as well. The only other result that would have to go against ladder position would be Richmond needing to drop a game against the Hawks or Saints or an away game against Gold Coast or Freo.

The dream scenario (with dream being the operative word), would have us playing a qualifying final against Geelong.

Were in boys! Cant see us a single losing game.

Dub nation

Nah they’ll be more upset wins, Richmond is prime to ■■■■ up.

We are in now. Time to play like we mean it.

1 Like

Turns out I will be in Osaka for our first final. Will have to remember this place and head down there when the fixture is released

I did a ladder predictor in what I think is a conservative way. I had us losing two more to Bulldogs and Adelaide but still making it through on percentage if others teams stay to form. It’s in our own hands. I believe we’ve got the talent and game plan. Now we need the application of consistent ruthlessness.

I think we have a gap overall for a couple of skilled inside mids who also run defensively. The defensive run of our older midfielders is an issue. But we clearly can beat the best teams if we’re switched on from start to finish.

I’m lid ajar, pending the next three weeks. Three wins and there’s no lid.

Lid partially open.

7 Likes

I would be as confident as ever if we got Richmond in week 1. Their implosion would be amazing.

1 Like

Could go either way.

we’d have a collectively meltdown to rival Chernobyl.

they’d be an atomic bomb.

2 Likes

So when did the wooden spooner last play against the reigning premier as favourite? Lose that lid!

4 Likes

A bit late maybe but if you are in Tokyo hook up with the Tokyo goannas football club. Watched the 09 gf with them and they are a hoot.

We will storm the next two weeks against the dogs and scum and our game against the Crows will then be match of the round.

This place will go full lid off that week.