Lid on 2016 - even tippa can't save this ship

And I mean "rightfully belted" in that it's very likely we field a young side most weeks that is likely to lose more games than we win.

So I guess Goddard, Jobe, Cooney, Stants, Bird, Hocking, Myers, etc etc etc will be playing a lot of reserves?

I doubt it. Some will, some won’t, but we should have the opportunity to put a balanced side out there each week.

And for the sake of this being the ship of fools, er, sorry ‘lid on’, thread, it remains likely that the best we can expect out of our “well balanced” side is a mid table finish if we don’t get some major lifts from some of the kids.

And I mean "rightfully belted" in that it's very likely we field a young side most weeks that is likely to lose more games than we win.
It depends whether Woosha decides to carry on "steady as she goes " and just introduce young players as they prove they are ready, or go for the cold reset button and get games into as many young players as possible, without copping a total shellacking each week ( that would be counter-productive in terms of fan expectations) . If Woosha presses cold reset, next year will be a bottom 4 finish and we might get another 2 top 10 draft picks and complete the list cleanout in 2 years .

Jesus. It’s a lid on thread people. What did you expect in here, rainbows, unicorns, happiness, and outrageously over the top enthusiasm???

I am abandoning the Lid Off thread this year, and will remain with the more realistic folk here in Camp Lid On. I don’t think we’ll play finals this year - and really, that’s ok.

Realistically, we will probably finish 9th - 12th this year, which is an improvement on last year, so that’s good. We won’t play finals, so that’s bad. But I think we’ll show some good signs, and probably beat a couple of the top sides.

4th oldest list in the competition.

AFL Masters

Sorry I thought this was the thread where we got to be over the top pessimistic

As opposed to what?

Doesn’t this thread usually pop up at about Round 8?

I’ll start,
Drop every player in the 22 and bring in the kids who will instantly be superstars, because they played 1 decent game in the VFL.

Is that right?

Perhaps it’s the pre-season, list clean out has happened, new guys on the list, injured players have had time to recover and the young kids look all right but I’m thinking of leaving the Lids On Camp and might start hanging around with the Lids Off guys.

Let's not forget James Hird wants the club to go well too.

Yeah, but he’s a pro-Hirder.

Sorry I thought this was the thread where we got to be over the top pessimistic

As opposed to what?

“Lid On: Thread for Realists”

Perhaps it's the pre-season, list clean out has happened, new guys on the list, injured players have had time to recover and the young kids look all right but I'm thinking of leaving the Lids On Camp and might start hanging around with the Lids Off guys.

To be serious for a moment, I’m very excited about the direction the club is going in and doubly so since the draft period. But I also expect us to get beaten most weeks and belted more than once next year. New coach’s tactics, young players being given extra games, the last few older guys trailing off. It’s important to separate the excitement of new coaches/players from the expectation of what they can do.

But if I’m wrong and we win heaps that’s awesome.

Perhaps it's the pre-season, list clean out has happened, new guys on the list, injured players have had time to recover and the young kids look all right but I'm thinking of leaving the Lids On Camp and might start hanging around with the Lids Off guys.

To be serious for a moment, I’m very excited about the direction the club is going in and doubly so since the draft period. But I also expect us to get beaten most weeks and belted more than once next year. New coach’s tactics, young players being given extra games, the last few older guys trailing off. It’s important to separate the excitement of new coaches/players from the expectation of what they can do.

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised in 2016 Riolio.

yeah at least 22 10 goal wins coming up.

Is that post drafts?

You grumpy bastards need a ‘dislike’ button. Save all the likes for the rest of us!

List 'age' probably skewed by a high number in the 27+ category, yet our youth stocks are still pretty reasonable
We seem to have had this problem a few times in recent years. Our best players are 27+ and we have good players under 21-22 but the ones between 23 and 26 are average at best.
Hibberd 26 at start of next season and Hurley 25 are average at best?

Was referring to mainly in the past as a general rule. Who else do we have in that bracket though? How old is Hooker?

You have to admit (assuming they are only 2 that came to mind) that’s pretty thin.

Checked it up. Between 23 and 26
Howlett (27 by 2016 season)
Myers (as above)
Hooker (as above)
Hurley
Zaka
Smack
Hibbo
TBell
Pears
Hep
Colyer
Ambrose
Merrett (23 by next season)

Of that list, how many would you say are A grade? 3 (including Hooker). It’s pretty thin. But worse is that it drops away quickly. Myers (injury) and Hibbo could probably get to A but I wouldn’t expect it now. Colyer maybe in a couple of years.

We are relying alot on Z Merrett, Laverde and Francis and Parish to really come through and we really really need them to come through and be A grade as quick as Hep has.

All of that list, with the exception of Pears and Ambrose, could be A grade next year.

Wrong thread for you then.

Howlett won’t be A Grade and I think Myers has missed his chance due to injuries (and being played out of position for his first 5 years).
Don’t think Smack has the tools to get to A grade and TBell doesn’t have the heart to get to it. Zaka, well he would want to do it soon.

The only one I disagree with is Smack. Too early to say I reckon. Made such big gains last year in a side where most were poor.

Just maybe he does make a very good player.

Very good player /= A grade.

Does anyone know how to do the “does not equal” sign?

I’d use !=

Is that post drafts?

Not sure. I know it was post retirements/ delistings, which is why it surprised me.

I hope so!

I hope so!

Hey - hacking a website owner’s account is not cool.