Lid on 2018 - have we gone to soon? Nervously hanging out for Friday

The first two games after the bye are crucial imo.

We tied a few of the saga players up to 2 year deals so looking ahead even further to the team of 2019, I reckon we’ll be looking at something like the following

Gleeson Hartley Ambrose

Francis Hurley McGrath

McKenna Heppell Colyer

Fantasia Daniher Tippa

Green Hooker Stewart

Foll: Luenberger, Zerrett , Parish

BACK UPS/Interchange from
Backs: Dea, Ridley*, Long*, M Brown, Jerrett
Mids: Clarke*, Begley*, Myers, Mutch*
Forwards: Redman*, Laverde, Langford,
Rucks: Draper*

• = developing players

Delist/Retire over the next 2 years
Watson, Goddard, Hocking, Howlett, Stanton, Kelly, Bellchambers, Baguley, Bird, Morgan (can’t get on the park)

Potential Tradebait: Zaka, Langford, Gleeson

Looking at this I think we need to pump games into those with the biggest question marks in that squad this year: Gleeson, McKenna, Long, Redman, Langford, Laverde, Stewart, even Jerrett in a back pocket in a reinvention similar to Jetta at Melbourne (not overly impressed by McNiece, rarely a standout at VFL level in the games I saw, Jackson has reasonable pace combined with neat disposal). Give them an extended run as the alternative is to go with the tried and tested who won’t be part of the next wave, seems a no brainer to me.

Zaka is RFA

Agree with your delist/retire comments CmP. Methinks 2017 will be a farewell year to the older players both banned and top up. Sadly the Bombers did not recover from the 5 day turnaround since ANZAC day. But there again, ‘The Filth’ were in the same boat, but surprised all by beating the Cats. Joe Daniher sure had the yips at FF kicking one goal six behinds with
a couple of oob’s as well. Missed forward line opportunities makes it very difficult to win. I suspect we will win a few matches and may finish out of the eight. and that 2018 will see our youngsters play.

1 Like

Before this season, I’d hoped that the 2015 shambles followed by the 2016 “year of the top-ups” were just a blip on the radar, and that we would return to our 2013-14 finals level.

However, as of team for Freo, it seems the only returned players selected are:

Hurley
Hooker
Colyer
Myers

Very good players, but not exactly a whole new team. I feel that this year is the 2016+ edition, rather than 2014 mkII. e.g. its going to have to a gradual climb back up from the bottom rather than a quick bounce back into contention. If Jobe/Stants/Zaka were dominating, it’d be a different story.

I think 8th position would be a mighty effort. 10th more likely.

2 Likes

Looks like Jake was right.

5 Likes

We’re so ■■■■■■. I mean, I know we aren’t inside the club so we don;t know just how awesome they are going, but on the outside, it looks ■■■■■■■ terrible.

We are in for a lot of pain in the next couple of years on top of the 10 years of rubbish we have put up with so far.

4 Likes

Still penciling us in for a jammy win against top 6 opposition.

3 Likes

13 years and counting…

We’ll win that and then the do-gooders will come here and say “Where are the negative ones now”, before hiding away until our next win 5 weeks later,

6 Likes

I reckon we’re about 3 years off solid drafting and trading before we are good again

1 Like

Pretty sure we said that in 2008, and 2009, and 2010 etc etc

5 Likes

Our list is in better shape than them years. Fantasia, tippa, parish, zerrett, Hurley, Heppell and joe are a good base to start from. I really rate lav too, but that’s about our base to build a side around

Even by making the briefest look at Essendon’s list one can come up with 9 names who won’t or shouldn’t be there in 2018.

1 Like

Reckon we were happy where the list was heading in 2008/2009 as well.

1 Like

Saying that we are a bottom 4 team, would be generous.

It’s time we started treating this major rebuild like the necessity that it is.

8 Likes

Agreed

McKenna Hurley McGrath
Ambrose Hooker McNeice
Colyer Watson Goddard
Fantasia Daniher Langford
Walla Stewart Green
Leuenberger Heppell Parish

Give me that line up for the rest of the year

It’s time we stopped talking about it like it’s treasonous to think about even the medium term.
SAGA is over.

This is not the possible last chance the guys on this list have or the coach. It’s just a football side now.

And we’re not going to make top 4 this year. So let’s start thinking about the next Bombers side that will make top 4.

7 Likes

And then we didn’t do 3 years of solid drafting and trading.