Lid on 2018 - have we gone to soon? Nervously hanging out for Friday

Someone might prove this post wrong with actual data, but I’m guessing we’re putting out one of the oldest teams on the park most weeks. Last night shouldn’t be the exception, it’s absolutely what we need to be putting on with this team.

It’s almost worrying that performance happens without Francis, Parish, Langford, Laverde (and that only one of those four has genuinely proven themselves so far) let alone anyone from 2016 other than #1.

I’m not nearly convinced we’ll make finals this year, and if we don’t, still need to make some deep cuts at season’s end.

3 Likes

4th or 5th oldest most weeks

I don’t think it should make much difference.
Only thing I’ve changed my mind on since round 2 or 3 is I’d keep Bellcho now.

Stanton still needs to go, Hocking, Howlett, Bird and Jerrett still need to go; Kelly surely pulls the pin.
Get 6 x mids/flankers, and try and find an upgrade for Green on the rookie list.

I said this in the VFL thread, just two more of those kids pushing out two older VPMs makes the whole list look so much better balanced. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yes there it is…win against Sydney and we are bound for glory, its the must win game of the year and looking forward to smacking them 1.

We’re 2 games away from 17th spot.

LID ON

5 Likes

Tangentially, you know who’s still routinely putting out one of the top 2 or 3 oldest teams in the league? The hawks. Good times.

1 Like

Well done to the thread name change. Made me genuinely laugh out loud. Not sms teenage lol style

2 Likes

Oh, and while I’m put back on my heels by Zaka’s return to form I still think he’s the best trade bait on our list.

2 Likes

That’s give us pick 2! Finally a beast inside mid!

Also 3 games from top spot

Trade one of our better midfielders, in order to improve the midfield?

5 Likes

This thread is a lot like the Hawthorn football club

I thought the same. I think one of our key backs represents the most trade value especially if Francis is supposed to become a CHB and we draft Fletch jnr in 2018.

Yep.

1 Like

But he’s a free agent, and I’d be very surprised if we got better than a second rounder for compensation.

So again, one of our few outside runners out for a second rounder. Are we really ahead there?

1 Like

Depends how likely you believe another 6-week form slump this year and/or next is.

1 Like

I’ve put the lid on the lid on thread.

We’ve lost to Adelaide and GWS interstate and Richmond who are in the top 4 at the moment.
The other top four team is Geelong who we’ve beaten.
We beat Port and West Coast here and yet to play the Bulldogs.
If we make the finals without beating other top eight teams, then we could end up with an early exit the way North did last year.

If we win in Sydney then that’s a great sign as we haven’t won interstate in a long time.

We are improving and you could argue that the Bulldogs and Swans have greater scope for improvement in the second half of the season as well.
How we go against those guys will define whether we go lid on or lid off.

Signs are good, but Essington can show up at any time and smack you back to reality.

every one of our mids except BJ has had a big slump this year. He’s got fewer excuses than most, but still, good for the goose…

When was Zerrett’s slump?

2 Likes