Lid on 2018 - have we gone to soon? Nervously hanging out for Friday

Surely even the most cretinous of Blitzers can work this one out by themselves?

2 Likes

I have generally agreed with your view of the future and who we should be looking at, but I do think you have been taking your own pills.

I agree we need to be playing all the players youā€™ve mentioned. Mutch is on the cusp and Begley and Langford should be rewarded when they show good VFL form while doing what Woosha wants them to develop. The others should stay in the side until they have had a good go at least.

I think we have less young players available because of our previous draft restrictions and better prospects at the lower end of the draft have been found amongst mature players as well as via free agency. So it is misleading to go by the age of our recruits entirely.

3 Likes

Apparently - not.

I donā€™t think Mutch or Begley are quite ready yet. I think they need another 10 games or so in the 2ā€™s, and then be brought in to senior level.

Thing Im most surprised about is how bad our midfield ranking is. To me this was pretty unexpected with the likes of Heppell, Watson who started the pre season on fire, like he never missed a beat. He actually looked leaner and fitter than ever. Zack Merret a ball magnet, and Parish who seemed set to really launch up a gear. Watson who seems a combination of physical and mentally fatigued.
Leuy seems very athletic, energetic and gets good tapouts, but just doesnā€™t do anywhere near enough possession wise around the ground. Cant recall him droping deep and pinching a goal here or there, cant recall him taking many if any decisive big bloke marks at cricitcal times.
I think for all of his brain farts, Iā€™d rather have Mckernan in this side. He has moments of impact that I just dont see from Luenberger and seems to have learned a bit from his few appearances
We seem to have all the ingredients,on paper in this midfield but it just isnā€™t working for some reason.
Is it tactics? Is it poor coaching? Is it team selections or timing of rotations? Probably a combination of all that

I think everyone has been.

But names on paper mean nothing if they canā€™t play their positions adequately. Which they havenā€™t been for varying reasons.

And there is flow on effects from our lack of clearance ability to our outside runners also.

Funny you should mention this, my son, 19 asked why I love the bombers so much, they never win :-o

This ā– ā– ā– ā– !!!

Lid off again.

2 Likes

I think as we saw last night why Langers and Laverde will need to midfield if anything as the fwd line could be a fixture fir quite some time. Im tending to think they are getting it right at bomber land

Itā€™s exciting to remember that Lav Kanga, Ambo Bird, T Bell, Frang, Mutch, Stants, Brown Heater, Howler, SMcK & Tonto, are all building and /or recovering and will all likely soon be in line ready to come in for a crack.

A few points.

i have no idea who a few of those blokes are.
Some of them have been tried and failed to keep their spot. They arenā€™t building or recovering, they just arenā€™t best 22.
This is the lid on thread.

3 Likes

I reckon the thing to take out of last night is, as Iā€™ve been saying since round 1: that mid-career tier (Brown Bird Hocking Myers Bellcho Howlett) arenā€™t that important either now, or into the future.

Folly to keep persisting with them.

3 Likes

If you want a negative out of last night, its the whole ā€˜waiting for it to clickā€™ nonsense that was being parroted, thats the worst geelong side iā€™ve seen in 10 years they almost pipped us over the line.

4 Likes

Yeah, not all will probably get back. But I disagree on Brown T bell & Bird out of the fringe dwellers. I reckon thereā€™s every chance Tom gets back & plays his best footy ever, Brown showed a lot last year & this in his limited time before he was injured, and Bird is no older than Myers, and younger than Hooksy etc, and has carved it up in the ressies thus far.

Hocking Howlett & Stants may have had the game go past them though, ā€¦ but any of them could still get right back into it before the years out.

1 Like

They should be the depth this year but building around any of them would IMO be very foolish

just love coming into this thread for a bit of how the other half live.

dont you just want to enjoy a win? cmon, just for one day enjoy the win

6 Likes

In the spirit of Lid On - I reckon Geelong were pretty poor, sure our pressure and attack was frenetic for 3 qtrs but for the same amount of time theirs was non-existent.

2 Likes

Yep, 18 tackles in a half of footballā€¦ Geelong pls.

I am very much looking forward to the day when we really put a side to the sword. itā€™ll happen one day.

1 Like

Geelong are average and rely far too heavily on Dangerfield and Selwood. If either is below oar and the other canā€™t cover for him, they are truly ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . Theyā€™ve been worked out and we exploited that.