Lid On 2019: The Lid remains on, until a final is won

The season was over Q1 at out first JLT match.

1 Like

I go back to the first JLT game against Carlton. The writing was well and truely chiseled into the wall by that soft lack of effort

6 Likes

Anyone who wasn’t here the last three weeks (and are now) should question their credibility.

YES!
Remember the glappers proudly proclaiming that it was only JLT and that we would switch it on like magic for round 1.
Season once again derailed by inadequate preparation in the offseason

2 Likes

I did tell them that they would all be back…

So now that this season is 100% dead, Ridley and Zerk in for Hurley and Hooker? Why not.

The best we can hope for is to be middle of the road with the odd season of getting to top 4. We are basically St Kilda of the 70s through to 2010. That’s where we will be up until 2030.

Club is too softness top conservative and think they can do a re-build by delisting 4 players each year.

Lots of talk about what a great list we have…really? We have recruited poorly. Tonight is evidence of why. The two teams level pegged on stats… possessions, kicks, tackles… but we were blown away on the scoreboard and entries. We’ve got front runners who can rack up cheap possies but, in the clinches against the best, we don’t have the bodies and mongrel to win the footy and do real damage when the heat is on. We are team with far too many light bodied players who lack the necessary mongrel. Our footy barely stands up in H&A… it’s the exact opposite of what’s needed in finals… better off not trying to scrape in for one. We are miles away.

5 Likes

To be fair, “mongrel” isn’t part of our strategic plan.

3 Likes

Play the kids time!

No more Zaharakis please

Play Ridley , play Mozzie, play Zerk!

These guys have real talent!

1 Like

Just tank the rest so woosha can be let go and we can move on, whatever

5k crowd there next Thursday night should do the trick. Time to vote with your feet and stand up to the club

2 Likes

On behalf of Mr Hooker, get nicked.

2 Likes

Delicious

I will cry IRL when he retires. But the club is going nowhere for at LEAST 5 years. So why delay the inevitable?

Do you realise how ridiculous this sounds ?
Take the emotion out of tonight’s result.
Are you actually suggesting dropping Hooker, resting Hooker, putting him up for trade because we aren’t anywhere near the Top 4 and therefore challenging ?

I can understand these types of comments about Myers, Baguley, even Zaharakis because he’s a frustrating player, but Hooker is playing at such a high level still.

3 Likes

Agree. Out of all the senior guys, hooker is the last one I would be dropping/resting/trading

2 Likes

I would never trade Hooker. he’s easily our most important player.

I would let Zaharakis get to 200 games, and then replace him with Ridley for the rest of the season. The position Zaharakis is currently playing is perfect for Ridley. At the end of the season I would absolutely trade Zaharakis.

I would give Hurley a rest and play Zerk with Hooker and Ambrose. If he could show something in the final 6-8 games of the season, I would absolutely consider trading Hurley. I have thought this for ages, not basing it on tonight.

1 Like

At the end of the season Xavier will talk more crap about driving purposeful innovation and developing a “unique Essendon football philosophy”.

But we all know he should probably be calling it a eunich football philosophy given this club hasn’t had the balls to be anything other than utterly ■■■■ for almost 2 decades.

The executives and board members have made some decisions over the journey sure, but in all their various iterations, they have very obviously failed to turn around on-field performance over a very long period of time.

The coaching group collectively are failures. Even Matthew ■■■■■■■ Knights could get a team going at .500. There is no winning system in place. There is very little consistency in what the players are doing week to week hence the shithouse results. Leading patterns are all over the shop. Workrate is rubbish. Tactics are sketchy as hell. There’s little blocking and shepherding for teammates, no running to receive, the list goes on. Standards are so ■■■■ they are non-existent. The coaching group collectively are not delivering results and the weight of evidence is starting to demonstrate that they simply cant deliver results.

Then you have the players. “But we have such an awesome list” people keep saying. Classic ■■■■■■■ Essendon. Just like the players at this club are always looking for the earliest possible point to relax and go back to playing like front-runners EFC supporters are the ■■■■■■■ worst when it comes to overrating players who’ve done nothing.

A player can hit a target? “Oh he’s elite, best kick in the side”. Young player shows something? “Oh he should win the rising star”. Player amasses more than 25 possessions? “he’ll win a brownlow one day”. Its pathetic how the complete absence of any form of success for almost 20 years has reduced people to one big blind circle-jerk of praise for players who have achieved and continue to achieve absolutely ■■■■■■■ nothing.

Hope we win next week.

13 Likes

The list build ended when we gave away all our draft currency for Shiel.

I’d be surprised if anyone tried to argue that he is delivering value for money.

And now…it’s apparent that our midfield STILL isn’t good enough, and we don’t have early draft picks to do anything about it. Probably can’t even access the trade/free agency market because our salary cap is maxed out.

So Dodoro blundered the strategy during that last off-season…and now I’m expecting us to take a few years before we can even cycle back down to the bottom of the ladder to get some good picks again.