Lid On 2019: The Lid remains on, until a final is won

Ambrose/Hartley/Long will not make it with Redman/Ridley/Guelfi all in better form and Zerk-Thatcher not long off and Hooker to come back.

Nah, he’ll be right. You’ll see. Bookmark it if you like, and bring it up in a few months.

Lol, wtf did parish or guelfi do tonight?

I’m pretty ■■■■■■ on tonight, but even the most positive posters will tell you they were utter garbage tonight.

2 Likes

See the other thread.

Parish and Langford were very disappointing. The former couldn’t find it, the latter was so soft. That Cunningham goal was abysmal. Not good enough.

Guelfi whilst not great showed enough. He is tough, versatile and generally pretty composed. I think he has a role.

Hartley is sadly embarrassing. Panic merchant. Clearly doesn’t back himself and too often is caught in no man’s land. Conservatively he conceded 5 goals. Truth is, it was probably closer to 7. Very poor and not up to it. Should we have injuries, I would prefer time is put into BZT.

I have some concerns over how many easy goals they kicked. Our set ups at stoppages and at marking contests were very poor. We were not balanced. Too often we allowed space which resulted in easy take aways and goals. A concern.

Btw. I am Smythy. No one will believe me but I am he. 225k plus super now.

2 Likes

Yes Langford was poor and yes he was soft at times but he still had 5 clearances which was the third highest on the ground.

He needs to lift though and that one armed tackle in the pocket that resulted in a goal should be replayed to him over and over again A Clockwork Orange style.

4 Likes

Fkg Herald Sunners.

1 Like

I’m gonna hold my darkest thoughts & cling on to “it’s just JLT1”.

Some other observations…

I really liked the potential that Jok displayed. Someone needs to explain to him that sometimes a handball can be just as damaging as a kick. Also, he doesn’t have to bee line forward so much, try some sideways action.

I wish Francis wouldn’t try the freakish one %ers so much. Just sweep, tidy up and clear defensive 50.

I’m more convinced than ever that Irish needs serious time in the guts.

A good half dozen who played seem to fall in the “too good for VFL but not ready for AFL” camp. Got to bring more intensity kinda thing.

But I guess, most importantly, there was an obvious lack of cohesion. It seemed, at least to me, that there wasn’t a clear team game plan. (yes, I understand this might be saved for Rd 1)

Here’s hoping for better in JLT2

Only problem was his he’d win the clearance and turn it over. 7 turnovers is a nightmare. He wasn’t alone though. And we know he can play. Certainly not worried about him.

2 Likes

yep. He’s generally pretty good with ball in hand though I’m prepared to forgive him on the skills.

Needs to toughen up though.

1 Like

Don’t know if it was instructed or not but saw quite a few of what I call “Zaka tackles”
Blokes putting out a short arm to appear to tackle but having no intention of actually tackling.

2 Likes

Zaka was at his softest last night. I saw long tackling harder

2 Likes

Considering our no.1 ruck didn’t play and our first string midfield barely played at half in not jumping to conclusions just yet. McGrath showed enough to suggest he is going to another level this year and will be a potent weapon when played next to first string midfield.

I didn’t think parish was as bad as some suggesting. albeit that He wasn’t especially productive 14 touches in 70 with service from tbell and our bigger bodies around him is hardly worthy of the crisis talks some are holding.

Langers had some very disappointing moments. At other moments he competed well. He’ll be better for the hit out and beer for being 2nd string rather than starting mid.

I was ■■■■■■ off by a complete lack of intensity across the board in all facets of the game rather than any particular individuals

1 Like

They cant put is through 2018 again. They just cant. We’ll be a laughing stock.

I REALLY do hope this chatter about it just being a JLT game is on the money.

Last night did definitely indicate that we are further back in our preparation than a lot of us thought.

4 Likes

Finally got a chance to watch the match

The skill errors didn’t worry me so much, as it always takes a bit of time to get back into the speed of the game.

What I found very concerning was our lack tackling and pressure. Was almost non existent. That was a big reason for our turn around last year, and it was on show last night. Defensive pressure is a mindset, their minds weren’t on the job

2 Likes

I think many (including myself) are nervous as this was pretty much what happened during JLT last year.

It was just brushed off as a match that didn’t matter and we’d ramp up when the season started. And then started the season so badly.

Really hope it isn’t the case this season.

4 Likes

Exactly

1 Like

Is it possible that they were asked to focus on positioning?

And if they were, why were there so many times that a Carlton player had a paddock to work in. Centre square, in front of their goals, didn’t seem to matter.

1 Like

Real Lid On threads are made when the season actually starts.

2 Likes