Lil Hepp Hype Thread

Yeah, I’d be listing him and grooming him as Baguley’s replacement in a year or two. Has attitude and desperation and heart.

Totally agree that he has attitude, desperation and heart, and if he can back that up with a good level of pace, endurance, footskills and footy smarts I reckon he’s half way there at least. From what I’ve seen, these attributes have been improving well. We’ve got to at least rookie him IMHO.

First pick rookie draft or last pick national draft either way need him

We need to be careful not to underestimate Hepp A’s worth with Ego In the wings.

Last year a rookie pick seemed rash despite obvious rapid improvement.

I think pick 41 should be considered unless someone more compelling is still available. If we wait longer than pick 59 we could be waving him goodbye.

Our VFLrookie picks have generally been better than our late draft picks in recent times, so we should start valuing the VFL boys more I think.

After he won the B&F, I was disappointed that he missed out in the draft. At the end of this year he moved to the midfield and I thought showed something as a clearance player TBH . At the age of 21 he is still young. Hopefully he can continue to improve and learn his craft as a mid, and if he sticks at it, next year is in no way out of the question.

Two drafts ago, we had three great back pockets in the VFL. We’re picking them up one at a time.

That pesky McGrath just got in the way.

Two drafts ago, we had three great back pockets in the VFL. We're picking them up one at a time.

You’ve gotta pick a pocket or two.

I wish Yestin all the best in life and concur with @“Preliminary Point2” in Yestin’s thread.

We have been lucky enough to get Ben McNiece on our list as an extra rookie so that offsets the list gap somewhat.

I wonder if the Rookie list B is still open and we can get Hepp A as an alternative sports talent as I understand he is a couch surfer.

https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/aaron-heppell

Why bump this thread. We can’t pick him up until the draft. He is no way eligible as rookie b and the argument about drafting him instead of Yestin has been done to death

Why bump this thread. We can't pick him up until the draft. He is no way eligible as rookie b and the argument about drafting him instead of Yestin has been done to death

But he’s a couch surfer …

Why bump this thread. We can't pick him up until the draft. He is no way eligible as rookie b and the argument about drafting him instead of Yestin has been done to death

But he’s a couch surfer …

Pay him outside the salary cap in the form of Bomber fans’ lounge rooms.

Couch Surfing: “It only costs a root for free accommodation”.

Heppell’s midfield ambition

Simon Conway April 4, 2017 1:27 PM

Aaron Heppell is hoping to spend more time in the midfield when the VFL season gets underway next week.

The reigning best and fairest winner averaged 20 disposals per game in defence last season.

But he lifted his output to 24 disposals per game when moved into the middle of the ground from round 18 through to the semi-final.

“It has been really good to take that next step with my football,” Heppell said.

“Coming into the Club I was pretty young and under-sized and I had a fair bit to work on.

“I’ve worked on that pretty aggressively over the last three or four years and last year it started to pay off for me and hopefully I can have another alright season this year.

“I want to keep working on my craft and hopefully move through the midfield a bit more this year, so I’m looking forward to that and hopefully we can have some success as a team.”

The 22-year-old Heppell was appointed Vice-Captain with former AFL Bomber Nick O’Brien named Captain.

“I’m really honoured, it’s a pretty big opportunity for me this season.
“I’m really happy with Nick O’Brien as our Captain, he should be great this year.

“We’ve got a fair bit of experience in the leadership group this year, so I’m really looking forward to it.”

Former Geelong player Michael Luxford, ex-Coburg goal kicker Daniel Younan and Victorian state squad member James Ferry round out the leadership group.

The Bombers will be looking to compete in their third straight finals series under new Coach Paul Corrigan.

Heppell said the camaraderie within the playing group has played a key part in the recent success.

“Coming to the Club, that was one of the first things I noticed,” he said.

“The culture down here is really great … it’s something we continue to work on and really make sure it’s a good culture among the group so that allows us to play the best footy we can.

“We make sure it’s a fun environment and all of the boys enjoy coming to the Club.”

Heppell was named in the VFL Team of the Year in 2016 and said the goal of earning a spot on an AFL list remains.

“It still lingers in the back of my mind and it is something I’m still striving towards but I really enjoy playing VFL footy here … so if I can play the best standard of footy I can, I’m more than happy with that,” he said.

Sounds so much like big bro in that interview.

Heh - just had a thought - if HepA doesn’t quite make it to the 1’s, we may have two teams with a Heppell as captain in the future.

Should be back next week with a touch of luck.

6 Likes

How did he go?

Defender. Limited time. Virtually invisible.

1 Like
1 Like