Lindsay Tanner - Almost Exident

I couldn’t care less whether he’s “prominent” or not.

The job of the Board, and the Chairman in particular, is to use their oversight to ensure that the club is being well run and continues to be well run.

Since Lindsay Tanner has been in the chair I haven’t had any problems with how the club is being run. It seems pretty smooth and efficient. I’m happy with that.

2 Likes

Another solid re-signing on the back of Langford last week. Formidable midfield in a couple of years.

2 Likes

I should add that even during his time on the board Cuz could sometimes be seen buying a beer in the outer and went to a lot of the VFL games, and was accessible at those times. For all I know Lindsay Tanner might have gone to the footy like most of us at times in the past.

There are blokes like Paul Brasher who was quietly instrumental in keeping the ship afloat financially during the hard times to whom we owe thanks and these days the club is doing OK.

If Tanner is running on his record he would get my vote whether he is prominent or not, still recognising that there are others on the board who have made significant contributions, which sort of “become” part of Tanners “record”.

1 Like

Remember John Elliot.

Never forget John Elliot.

Happy to not hear from Lindsay at all if the clubs going well.

Walk quietly, …

Do members get to vote for the President.?

That’s a fairly extreme example there BSD. Jeepers!

1 Like

Peter Gordon
Tony Cochrane

I think Chair of the Board positions are very much like umpires. They can fark up really badly & pisss everyone off, but if they go completely unnoticed then this is a positive KPI.

2 Likes

They vote on whether he is returned to the board (I will change the subject title) but the board then decides who will be chair.

1 Like

Yeh Nah. I think there’s a bit of a russian doll club within a club situation at that level. There are a number of board positions filled by invitation, whereby suitably qualified upper level individuals can be brought in specifically to fill the position of Chairman, or redress gender inequality or ensure financially experienced and connected people are on the board. There are powerful money people with influence at that level. Its not egalitarian or totally democratic. But I just enjoy going to the footy, and it is what it is.

1 Like

Jake Niall did an analysis for the Rage on member voting rights across the clubs. EFC came out better than most on Board appointments.
Now I’m waiting for Niall to do an analysis of the AFL

1 Like

I preferred my title - but sure, go ahead and be accurate

Tanner was appointed to the board in late 2015, and was appointed as Chairman effectively at the same time without facing an election. IOW he was parachuted in.

All very constitutional. Not really very democratic Big Allan.

Never really hear from him. Not necessarily a bad thing. He might consider raising his profile.

I thought there was something about appointed Board members having their terms extended by the Board (as happened with Heffernan).

He shouldnt be up for election this year. Brasher and Barham should.

If that article is correct it’s decidely odd.

Imagine if anyone with a membership could vote on the AFL board members!

Actually, why isn’t this the case?

Tanner was a Board appointment in 2015. Do appointees get longer terms than those elected.?

Directors that come in for a retirement - as Lindsay was - take on the time already used up in the term of the position.

Lindsay will complete his two appointed terms at the close of this year (as he was appointed to a retiring position) and must go to election.

Hope that helps!

Edit: someone asked if the terms were longer.

Appointed director: Maximum 2x 3 year terms and then must go to election
Elected director: Maximum 4x 3 year terms

2 Likes

Indirectly you do.

Don’t the presidents each get a vote. So if we control the Essendon board we control a vote.

But of course the AFL owns a few licences giving them effective control of themselves.

1 Like