Lindsay Tanner - Almost Exident

What have profits got to do with moving to the G?

If there is a contract requiring buying out…

Hmmmm. I done a bit more digging.

I think it all depends on how Tanner got onto the board in the first place.

If he is an Appointed Director then he can be appointed for another term (clauses 73 and 74 of the constitution).

It looks like Tanner was appointed as a director to replace either Greg Brown or Phil Pryor. Even though both of those guys were elected directors the Board ‘appointed’ Tanner as an appointed Director rather then him filling the remainder of the casual vacancy.

I think that article from the The Age saying that Tanner is standing for election is incorrect (as you originally pointed out).

It doesn’t work that way.
It doesn’t matter how much money you have, or how many contracts you wish to buy out, if the MCC say we don’t have a place for you, or the AFL say we want you at Etihad, then that’s how it.
Well unless we want to play in the EDFL.

1 Like

You reckon that would break our premiership drought? If so I’m in.

4 Likes

Hadn’t thought of that.

I think Katie pointed out earlier that Tanner was originally appointed to replace an elected Director who retired before his term was up… it’s all a bit confusing TBH.

I’m sure Katie’s across it though and will set it straight.

What was wrong with the Rage article was Tanner’s reference to being re-elected. He was never elected, but under the current rules now has to stand for election ( as explained by Catherine).

Yep that bit is clear… what is not clear is what happens with the two guys who should stand for election this year. Do we elect three?

I did earlier put the question whether an elected Board member could be appointed by the Board as an alternative to standing for re-election.

An interesting concept. I’m sure it’s possible. Would manipulate the process more than a little but that’s nothing new.

Yeah but that still doesn’t make sense.

Elected members are in office for 3 years at a time.

Tanner joined the Board in March 2015.

If the person Tanner was replacing was in their last year, then Tanner should have been up for election in Dec 2015.

If they were in their second year, then Tanner should have been up for election in Dec 2016.

If in their last year, election in Dec 2017.

Whichever way you look at it Tanner should have been up for election already.

Which is why I think that Tanner is an appointed director.

Yes he is. He took the seat of an elected director who resigned. He was then appointed to Paul Littles seat I believe.

Lolz actually the more I try to explain it the more ridiculous it sounds.

I’m not sure how that can happen.

“A retiring Elected Director is not eligible to be appointed as a Director under clause 71.1.”

But he wasn’t ‘retiring’. He took the seat of a retiring elected director who had not served his full term. He then was appointed to Littles seat when he retired.

This is all speculation … I truly have NFI :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Lindsay Tanner and Andrew Muir join Essendon board

March 11, 2015 7:13pm

Grant BakerHerald Sun

ESSENDON has continued to reshape its board, which now has just four remaining members from the ill-fated 2012 season.

Yesterday, the Bombers added former longtime federal Labor member for Melbourne Lindsay Tanner and The Good Guys executive director Andrew Muir — whose fortune was put by BRW last year at $315 million.

The pair will replace veteran board members Greg Brown and Phillip Pryor, who have both recently resigned for personal reasons.

Since the 2012 season that spawned the long-running and still unresolved supplements saga, David Evans, Ian Robson, Kevin Egan and Jo Anne Albert have also moved on from the board.

Chairman Paul Little, his deputy Paul Brasher, Chris Heffernan and Daryl Jackson remain.

Only Jackson was there before James Hird was appointed coach in 2010.

Club bosses have conceded the position of directors who were in place in 2012 will be called into question if the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal suspends current and former Essendon players charged with using a banned peptide in that year.

Tanner, in the parliament from 1993-2010 is a former Finance Minister.

In addition to running and growing the appliance chain started by his father in the 1950s, Muir also runs The Good Foundation — promoting health and nutrition.

Essendon chairman Paul Little said the club’s nominations committee had identified and recommended the pair to address gaps in the current board’s expertise.

“Andrew and Lindsay are highly respected individuals who will bring a diverse range of professional experience and the skills identified by the nominations committee to the Board table,” Little said in a statement.

“Following the resignations of Greg and Phil, the new appointments were ratified by the full board of the Essendon Football Club this week.”

Little said Brown and Pryor had been good servants of the club.

“During a difficult period in recent years, both Greg and Phil have helped the board and management team oversee record membership growth, strong commercial partnerships and a significant reduction in the overall debt position of the club,” he said.

Other recent additions to the Essendon board include former champion Simon Madden, who was elected in 2013, before Catherine Lio and Paul Cousins won election in December last year.

So does this mean Muir will be reappointed but Tanner can’t?

Andrew stood for re-election and was re-elected unopposed with Simon Madden at the end of 2016.

4 Likes

Who needs pesky elections anyway?

It gives me great pleasure to formally announce the appointment of Mr Peter Allen to the Essendon Football Club Board. Peter was unanimously endorsed to join the board as a nominated director, effective immediately.

Peter is the current executive director and chief executive officer of Scentre Group. Prior to the establishment of the Scentre Group in 2014, Peter was an executive officer and chief financial officer of Westfield Group. He joined Westfield in 1996 and between 1998 and 2004, was Westfield’s CEO of the United Kingdom and Europe, responsible for establishing Westfield’s presence in the United Kingdom.

A lifelong Bombers supporter, Peter’s vast commercial acumen and entrepreneurial experience will be a significant asset to the club’s board.

Blue blood big end of town type.

He will be a good boy and do whatever Gil asks.