Line in the Sand moment?

I went to the game on Sunday and was bitterly disappointed, actually I was shattered. I have followed this club for 67 years and it was one of our worst efforts in so far as skill and effort. Players can’t be stuffed manning up, chasing hard and making leads. My ex hero Hurley is turning into a sook, he couldn’t be bothered trying to put the Dogs player off,on the mark when he kicked for goal ! Just far*ing stood there and watched him kick a goal. Things like this are not acceptable.The club needs to get tough and drop ANYONE who doesn’t put in 100%. Play some kids too ffs.

2 Likes
  1. ■■■■ the Yankees.
  2. They stick up for themselves more in Baseball than we do FFS! Enough is enough, no more getting pushed around!!!
1 Like

Thread has gone full Casper Jonquil.

2 Likes

I saw that from Hurls, and it did hurt.

1 Like

Pitcher went full Essington - threw the body pitch and when challenged, went the “lift my knee throw my glove” routine. Not the gauntlet - that was a total b*tch move by throwing a body pitch - but the glove - and then running away. This is vintage circa 2009 Essington.

Honestly - the clips above are great - they remind me of how tough and uncompromising 99-01 team was … long time ago. Beat the doggies in 99 with 3 or 4 men down, heard it was the toughest game people had ever seen, replay i saw a year later when i got home was amazing.

This club lives in the past and thinks it is owed more than it has received. It’s probably true in some respects, but what is the point of dwelling on that? There is no gain as a supporter - reminiscing in your own misery and misfortune just breeds more of the same. Sooner this club (and maybe sections of its supporter base) loses that mentality and seeks success by building on the foundations of its success - rather than hiding behind them - it will be better off. It hurts me to type these words. I’m not a huge poster on this site, but this is from the heart. What could have been 2012-15… what could have been. What should have been. Well it’s not and it wasn’t and it won’t ever be - we are where we are now. Damn it’s unfair. So?

All things being equal, would love to see the team turn back the clock and just start breaking bodies a la JJ, MJ, Dimma, Solly era - won’t happen, shouldn’t happen. Will be watching intently from Beijing. Hope here is some spirit left in my team. Believe there is. Have to believe. Because without that belief, they’re just a bunch of entitled millennial douchebags who take my money and give nothing back except frustration that is exacerbated by my own inadequacies on the football field and the the fact that I couldn’t do what they so obviously fail to do on a TV screen thousands of kilometres away.

Go dons. Show some heart. Reckon we’ll roll Port.

4 Likes

Good post.

Everything needs to be appraised on the basis of what are they doing for the team now, what can they do for the team in the 2-3 years it takes to build to a top 4 side.

We gave a lot of free passes over the past 4-5 years, for obvious reasons.

1 Like

On reflection, I remember the direct moment that it was all over for the club… and I knew it.

April 2006, we had a few years teetering. We beat Sydney in Round 1. Lloyd kicked 8 goals.

2 weeks later, we played the Bulldogs. Lloyd led out to the pocket, lunged for the ball on a lead and Brian Lake jumped into his back.
Lloyd got helped from the ground with a hamstring injury. A devastating silence went across the ground.

He kicked 12 goals the first 2 rounds. IMO that very moment was the end of the 2000 era.

Sheedy’s career ended on that very moment. And we never seen the same Lloyd again.

I actually recall, instead of silence, feral booing from Bulldogs fans as he was carried off - all claiming he had dived for a free-kick and was sooking… I remember feeling pretty angry at the time for the lack of respect.

I was sitting on the wing amongst the EFC members and it was dead quiet.

At that time, it was legal for full backs to jump in the back of Forward who was face down on the ground.

Clement & Hudgton were the main offenders.

Geez that brings back some terrible memories. Seeing Welsh struggle at FF/ FP and us dropping that game …For Lloyd to come back and play after that horrific injury is a testament to the champion that he was. Still reckon we were cooked way before 2006 though.

I believe if we play the same way we did against Port in the next 3 weeks.

We will win all 3.

And that should set the momentum up for a strong year.
We were rightly hammered in tbe media, and i think if we go on to have a strong year,and continue to climb the ladder in the next few years, the internal talks post Dogs game will be where the line in the sand was drawn.

Of course,only time will tell.

You look at that team in 2006 and it was horrible.

But the story would be very different.
Lloyd might have held this sort of form for another 3-4 years. Which would have saved Sheedy’s job. Who knows what would of happened had Sheedy stayed on.

2006 draft Would have seen us pick up Jack Riewoldt, James Frawley or Nathan Brown.

Instead of Gumbleton, Jetta & Hislop.

…or it wouldn’t.

The 2006 side was awful. Awful backline, awful midfield. Lloyd fit probably pops us over the line in a couple of those close losses: doesn’t help much overall.

1 Like

I disagree.

He was the captain. He was averaging 3-4 goals a match. The whole game plan evolved around him. He not only beat his direct opponent and he have 2 blokes hanging off him. That brought Lucas into the game (if he wasn’t already).

The team was a lot more confident with him in the team. Literally bomb the ball inside 50 and let him do the work.

1 Like

l was there for that game, and Lake rode Lloyd into the ground, it was a deliberate, callous and cynical act. It looked to me like he meant to cause injury.

This line in the sand is turning into a deep ravine.

Plenty of sand at the moment. We’re the turd in the cats litter box.

2 Likes