List build - where are we going in the next 10,000 posts?

1 Like

You can’t have every player getting 30+ possessions a game. When you have an option, you funnel the ball through your playmakers, like Merret and Martin.

15-20 possessions a game, largely won at the coal face is not a bad output from a second rotation player. As long as the pressure is being applied and the field is stretched on attack, not every player needs to rack up possessions.

4 Likes

So was Fletch.

Fletcher’s rookie footy card has him listed at 198cm/92kg. The AFL don’t publish weights any more, but Hayes last year was listed at 199cm/84kg.

Fletch also got monstered by key forwards for the first 10 years of his career (while simultaneously doing very good things). He really came into his own when Dean Wallis was able to take the gorillas.

1 Like

We need so much atm but another AFL deserving small forward who kicks goals and applies defensive pressure would be great. Also a running halfback is a must for our structure. Each year they are available but we don’t seem to address our needs. We got Gresham but other clubs e.g Geelong, Melbourne etc. have multiple players for the distinctively different positions on ground. We really have an unbalanced list with Caldwell, Menzie, Guelfi etc. being too similar for the roles they are being asked to play. I hope conversations are taking place now.

2 Likes

Article talks about the high half forward role in footy and does point to an area of defensive structure/list development where we have room for growth I reckon.

A lot of focus has been on our lack of genuine small forward goal-kickers (which we desperately need also), but this role is also becoming crucial to defending opposition ball-movement.

Guelfi, Caldwell, Gresham go through here at the moment - we probably need to further look at bolstering this area through trade/free agency IMO.

3 Likes

To be fair to him, Will Snelling did play this role quite well in 2020 and 2021.

5 Likes

Yeap, the best and fairest results for Snelling and Guelfi in recent years absolutely confirm the internal importance of that role to the coaches.

5 Likes

And Cahill’s U18 CV would have indicated he’d be made for the role.

We need to trade for Aliir and play him in our forward line. He’s the only player we know how to kick to.

1 Like

I think we’re at a point that deep down we we all knew was coming, we have a list that just isn’t good enough to compete with the better teams, we’re a good average team that’s going nowhere, the worse place to be and it’s going to take years.

5 Likes

Speed and power, if you don’t have that in today’s game, you’re ■■■■■■. Tonight’s midfield:

Merrett
Parish
Setterfield
Caldwell
Hobbs
Perkins
Duursma
Martin

Where’s the speed and power there? We got brutally beaten by Rozee, Butters and JHF. Their legspeed was stark in comparison to ours. We couldn’t keep up. Durham, Tsatas, Shiel at least have some explosive ability to break away from congestion. I wouldn’t call Durham lightning quick but he’s got a quick step that allows him to get through congestion. Recruiting a midfielder with absolute wheels has to be a priority, either in draft, trade or FA.

3 Likes

Relton Roberts and Eric the Eel make us look slow.

I follow the NFL and one of the great features of the game is how quickly you can turn over a list and go from garbage to contending. They have the draft which draws from a massive pool of players from college, so only the best, game-ready players get picked, as well as full free agency that sees players move more often. It’s cut-throat but teams can always make big changes in a short period of time.

AFL has such a shallow pool to draft from, and they’re all 18 year old kids so you can never be certain if they’ll be a bust or not. It means your list is so hard to make meaningful changes to, and a rebuild basically means signing up to 5 years of patient suffering with no guarantee of success. If you don’t have core of excellent players, then the 3-5 list changes made each year are just going to nibble around the edges, and if you go for wholesale changes of 8-10 list spots it’s doubtful you can bring in enough quality players due to the cost.

With Tassie coming in we’re going to find ourselves stuck in no-mans land again like with GC and GWS where we aren’t at the top contending and also can’t get access to good picks. What we are doing now isn’t working, so we should probably say “fark it” and gut the list for as many high picks as we can get from Tassie and try the shotgun approach to drafting. We might stand a chance of building an elite core group, but it’s gonna suck for a long time anyway.

4 Likes

Spot on @smooth ……leg speed and strength ……our midfield athleticism is 2/10……can’t run both ways

3 Likes

Nothing changes, we’ve been the same for 20 years or so. You feel like giving up.

1 Like

I almost have. I’m at the precipice of apathy.

You may be over the edge soon.

I’d be happy to bin the whole list apart from a small few. Just need to keep turning players over until we find a core group that we can build a GF team around.

1 Like