List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Yeah, I can’t see the clubs letting go him or any of the other of the best 22 TB4 players

AFL botched it should have had no winner in 2012 would have saved them a lot of head aches.

Ryder
Carlisle
Melksham
Hibberd

They have requested the trade, but we have facilitated it without much fuss.

Entirely different situation.

Agreed. A quality midfielder is the thing that would improve our best 22 the most. Another key forward strengthens the depth of the list the most.

Given our work last year, I’m hopeful (almost certainly too hopeful) we can fill one role via our first pick and one with a trade/FA…

Ok, I may be blowing rainbows…

1 Like

By letting go of, I meant forcing them out. I should have phrased it better. I can’t see Hurley requesting to move, nor us asking him to.

1 Like

Where’s the contract thread these days?

Without knowing, and considering that the list is tracking in the best shape it has been for years with all the younger to 25yo guys coming along really well I’d imagine we’d be going for close to minimal changes next. Hartley and Brown. Only room for one and it seems like Brown is a bit more versatile and handy at this point. Myers is still contracted next season. Baguly has been a revelation forward so has some solid claims on next season too. Leuenberger might be at the end but who becomes the second string ruck? Do we chase someone or does McKernan survive again until Draper matures more? Goddard could probably get another year if he wanted it. Matt Dea has been great this season and deserves another imo. Everyone else should be kept unless they ask for a trade.

Leuenberger
Brown
Hartley
McKernan
Goddard
Baguley
Dea

We lose Leuenberger and McKernan we need a recruitment to replace.

We could manage without one of Brown and Hartley but not both.

Do Goddard and Baguley decide to call time? Perhaps not if we finish strong and they’re both performing.

Dea isn’t essential but he’s a very handy defender. Might end up in a trade deal?

Going to be interesting. Don’t want to lose too many talls at once. Nor both of Goddard and Baguley. We’ve already felt the pangs of leadership vacuum early this season.

If I had to guess I’d say Leuenberger, Hartley and someone gets traded. We’ve got a few highish picks in the draft from memory. Use them on mids and/or package for a trade. Maybe someone’s second string ruck. We have half backs, flankers, young rucks, talls, and small forwards coming out the wazoo. Goddard and Bags live another day for a tilt.

I expect both to be on the list next year unless Hartley is involved in some trade.

Hartley is still a work in progress and still young. The club will be patient with him. He has important size.

2 Likes

I hope Hartley makes it. It’s a great story and he has showed something at times. I just don’t know if there’s room for him. Francis, Ambrose and Brown all vying for spots with Hooker and Hurley. Yes, he has the size thing about him though. True. Zerk Thatcher looks promising. Someone makes way I reckon.

1 Like

IMO…Hooker, Hartley, Lavender are in their own special grouping = guys who are potentially tall and strong enough to spoil a player of 200cm+.

…but Hooker might have to go back to FF…
…Lavender is very speculative…
…so I don’t think Hartley is going anywhere.

3 Likes

At a stretch Ambrose could play a little taller, only 4cm between him and Hooker.

Just give him some cuban heels and he’ll be right.

1 Like

I don’t think we will.
I’m saying I would.
Makes a heap of sense from a list build perspective.

I doubt Leuney - just on 30yo, long injury history, and playing second ruck in the seconds - would have any trade value whatsoever.

I think we may be better off keeping him.
I’d probably let him, Smack & Brown expire, and see if there’s any DFAs who would be better. If not, happy to keep them all.
I would get rid of Hartley.

Don’t see any justification at all for trading picks for backups, unless it’s a pick 90 type situation. We only have 2 decent picks, & didn’t have any last year.

2 Likes

Loyalty is overrated. Get the players you need, whatever means necessary.

Yeah…but you’re a ****!

3 Likes

umm, ok

I think he meant you are a guy with a leaky bowel…

Not leaky, just selective

So you tell a guy who’s contracted, whose contract signing was a major relief to everyone connected with the club (bar you, obviously), to get on his bike.

Good luck with preaching loyalty to the players and fans. You’ll need it.

3 Likes