List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

They don’t take up a list spot, if you think they will be a good player but it might take a few years you keep them on the list. That’s unless they have terrible attitudes or something and are affecting other players obviously.

2 Likes

One year is not long enough (unless a Zac Clarke type)

from what is have seen of both of them at training and on the videos they look promising

McBride is super competitive and shows good athleticism McQuillan has the pace and skill, he could be a chance for a game this year. Have the vfl would have helped heaps

1 Like

I like what I saw from McBride in the preseason games. It’s pretty rare to find a tall not just as fast as him, but with his agility. I want to see more of him before he gets sent home.

2 Likes

Reckon he’ll do a McKenna and want to go home club shouldn’t be wasting time on Irish players

1 Like

McKenna hasn’t even done a “McKenna” yet

9 Likes

Looks like another year middle of the road (ladder) so another later first round pick.

1 Like

The Irish lads get a two year contract

… Tadhg Kenelly, Zach Tuoy, Setanta O’Hailplin, Jim Stynes, Pearce Hanley?

1 Like

And a soft draw

Thanks to corona any kid taken from Victoria this year could end up being a boom or bust pick

Looking back at this draft is gonna be very interesting reading, there’s gonna be AFL stars all over the place.

I was watching ‘First Crack’ on Fox Footy last night and David King (yes, I know he’s a flog) put a table on the screen showing the numbers of high draft picks in the last 5 premiership teams. Some were high draft picks from other teams and they acknowledged the WB team was a bit of an anomaly, as they had some F/S picks who could have been picked earlier.

Essendon’s current numbers are 4-7-8.
4x Top 5 (McGrath, Parish, Hurley, Stringer).
Another 3x Top 10 - Total 7 (Daniher, Francis, Heppell).
1x Top 15 - Total 8 (Smith)

Plus we also have Dylan Shiel who was a GWS Underage Selection (surely Top 15).

So, my question is this - Why haven’t we won a premiership yet??

1 Like

You will find the answer you seek in here.

3 Likes

See the ‘we are ■■■■’ thread.

1 Like

The quality of the draft varies year to year

1 Like

Bingo! Hence reinforcing that David King is a flog.

1 Like

Age demographic (are they ready?) + personnel on the park also major factor

1 Like

That, plus you would always expect that unless a teams been finishing top 4 all the time, that they’ll have around 10+ top 15 picks as long as the guys they pick have 10+ year careers. So the third column is pretty meaningless, except to highlight the Doggies were an outlier. Which their finishes before/after should also indicate.

It’s almost like multiple years of tanking for top end picks doesn’t work…

Not a fair comparison - those are numbers from particular games, not the totality of the list.

Our equivalent numbers for the most recent game were 3 - 4 - 5

If you made it total list, WCE would have had NicNat & Gaff (top 5 picks) and Shepherd (top 10) and probably others I’ve forgotten.

Either way, it’s drawing an arbitrary line.

It would be more useful to look at the total composition of the sides/lists. That Dogs side was stacked full of late picks, I know that. I suspect (outside of them) most other sides would be similar, mostly early_ish_ picks.