List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

I think the club has said we owe it to this group to go as hard as possible at a flag while they are still playing. I agree with that policy. I look at our squad and think, why couldn’t we? Defense is solid, better than that if Hurley can hit AA form again. Midfield is strong and getting stronger with the continued improvement of Parish and Merrett. Forward line looks like it will be a major strength with Hookers clunking ability, Joe’s year on year increased output and Fantasia looking like the most natural forward we have had in a decade. We have a tonne of depth to cover injuries with guys like Howlett and Hocking battling to get a game, and talent young players like Francis and Begley waiting for their chance. We have a great draw and a hungry supporter base that will show up in vast numbers all season hopefully spurring them onto an extra win or two. I don’t subscribe to their being many of any standout teams in the league at the moment. I think there’s no reason why with a bit of luck we couldn’t make top 4. And from there who knows?

As far as the list stands, I think just natural attrition will take care of itself. We will lose probably 2 of our older greats per year - probably Kelly, Hocking this year answer Watson and Goddard the year after. But I think we have drafted well and got games into a good bunch of kids and will be able to replace them. I think nothing drastic trade wise, slowly fade out the older and fringes players (Brown, J Merrett) and continue to head to the draft.

1 Like