List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Years as a member and time spent supporting the club.

FIGHT.

1 Like

32 year member and 4 year supporter

3 Likes

Is Deckham the class clown around here ?

Only been here 5 minutes but that’s how he/she comes across.

2 Likes

Nah. Deckham’s OK. There’s a few of us who take pot shots at each other all day long.

3 Likes

Why are you named after my shoes?

1 Like

I am pretty excited about our list and the things it could produce in 2-3 years time, but is anyone else a little nervous on what juggernaut GWS and their plethora of talent can do for the next 8 years?

In 2014, GWS has pick 4 (Pickett), 6 (Marchbank), 7 (Ahern), 24 (Steele). They traded all of them last year after their contracts expired. This was probably due to injury, opportunity, homesick and $$$ so I don’t see why we couldn’t lure Setterfield back. I think the trend of their young draft picks leaving is going to continue due to their core talented mids and the ones before their 2016 crop rising. Hopper is another is who could follow the trend. Would love to chase after him because that is the type of midfielder we need!

Setterfield out for 10 weeks with an ankle injury. Surely only worth a Jerrett + 3rd rounder now?

Realistically, how are some of our kids coming along, and when will they feature? The Mutch, Ridley and Begley types and also kids from the year before e.g. Morgan.

We won’t know until 2019 when Hocking and Stanton retire

You the full quid mate or what ?

2 Likes

I am fairly certain that a 3AW reporter was on the radio last week saying that the Hurley/Hooker contracts cost us a pretty penny. I think it was mentioned in a discussion about Parish’s contract negotiations…Hopefully this noise was just Parish’s manager shaking the tree.

Jacob Hooper -get it done Essendon

2 Likes

I didn’t hear it but saw something online about SportsDay on 3aw and Matthew Lloyd and them saying there is a tight squeeze with Daniher, Parish and Zaka out of contract. Or something to that effect. Probably just clickbait and I’m confident anyway given the likes of Fog say we are cashed up.

Looking at Ridley, he’s a stick, and also has had an injury; wouldn’t expect much from him this year. Begley’s probably going to be doing more fitness work than anything this year, his tank is behind what you’d expect from even a first year.
Mutch, dunno. Probably most likely to debut next, of this year’s draftees. Seems OK from what I’ve seen but he was pick 50 or whatever so there’s got to be a reason for that

I should add I’d like to see all of them (and Clarke) this year, even if it is only for a little taste.

1 Like

Wouldn’t have thought his fitness is an issue at all.

At the draft combine, Villani said he “blew them away”, completing a 13.8 beep test, 10.39 minutes for the 3km time trial and 3.01 seconds for the 20m sprint.

I’d imagine he’s still just learning the game and the disciplines of AFL footy for a guy pretty much picked straight out of local footy and limited TAC experience.

5 Likes

Nobody even knows what the salary cap is this year yet, so I wouldn’t worry about how much money we do or don’t have.

The good kids are getting high 15s in the beep test (record is over 16) and 9:30 for the 3km time trial (record is 9:15)

From what I hear, and read, he improved a lot over last year, so there’s hope he gets there sooner rather than later, but he’s still behind most of his peers.

1 Like

All I know is that he played one game in the pre-season and kicked 4 goals.

1 Like

Two games