List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Jack Bytel

Club: Calder Cannons, Vic Metro

Position: Midfielder

Size: 188cm, 82kg

Champion Data player comparison: Brad Crouch

foxfooty.com.au says: One of the Cannons’ co-captains for 2018 and a member of the AFL Academy, Bytel is a gun inside midfielder who impressed in his bottom-age season. In the TAC Cup last year, Bytel was ranked third in the competition for disposals (27.7) and contested possessions (14.2), while he was ranked fourth for clearances (6.7). Not only can he win the footy, he can also hit he scoreboard, highlighted by his seven goals from 10 games in 2017.

Bytel.

BRING.

Not sure if been discussed but apparently we are one of three teams into Zac Jones.

Would add a hard edge to our side so would be very welcome.

2 Likes

If we lose to the Hawks our season is pretty much done we should then tank.

Tank?

Play the kids, Yes!

Tank, No!

We need to start building a winning culture and stop worrying about draft picks.

4 Likes

Interesting as we were into him big time last year I thought as well. I thought he signed extension however. ??

4 Likes

Doesn’t name a source so its probably garbage.

Yeah, he’s contracted until next season.

I looked it up myself as well

Signed to end of 2019 but appears as though may be a free agent then so Swans perhaps will pull trigger on it end of this year for best value, especially with so many clubs keen.

1 Like

He’s a good mix of skill and toughness.

Would be a good get.

The Zak Jones I’ve seen is a HBF

Yep, perfect recipe for a mid role at essendon

4 Likes

He started as a HBF, swans midfield a pretty hard one to crack over the years.

Then played wing and now goes through centre a fair bit.

Quick. Aggressive. Hard at it. Runs both ways.

Would love him on our list.

2 Likes

On Gaff and Sloane, remember they are both free agents. So it is salary cap rather than draft picks which we would be losing.

On whether or not we need a Gaff outside type player, well we do have two wings, and I don’t know if anyone’s noticed but our disposal sometimes has some, how do I put it, issues. So someone who can actually hit a target might be useful. Our clearance numbers have often been not bad this year, but we’re using it terribly.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Draft picks have done nothing for us.

The draft is false hope.

Never deliberately lose. Tanking is a cancer for a football club.

4 Likes

If had to choose between Sloane or Gaff (don’t think we could afford both salaries) I’d choose Sloane.

Gee if Sloane does leave - how many good players have they lost!

More likely to attract good free agents if we start winning.

I’m tired of being ■■■■

Right now I think win or lose doesn’t mean much for us. Wed probably only end up falling into the 8 or around 10th. It’s all about how we play and who we play.

That said, I’ve given up for this year, so TANK.

Sadly, we don’t have to tank.

2 Likes

Myers needs to go but what club is going to go after him. He can protect the kids in VFL.

I think we missed the boat on that one during & post saga with Saints & Dees keen

Crameri is pretty much the only one we’ve done well out of leaving. All the others hurt plenty.

3 Likes

Don’t think loosing Melksham has hurt Hibberd,Ryder,Carlilse are the ones that hurt