List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Long and Hartley are gone for mine. Dea I think will stay.

Yeah may well be. Figured Francis and Ridley will have Dea covered by years end. Then you have Zerk coming through and Ambrose as depth.

Hartley stays I think still young enough to improve. I think Goddard, Bagley, Jerret and Luey are the likeliest, probably Long as well unless he gets some games.

Iā€™d delist Hartley and Brown.
Hurley and Hooker the main men in defence. Ambrose as depth. Francis and Zerk pushing up.

Canā€™t believe iā€™m saying this but iā€™d keep Smack for another year. We donā€™t have much forward depth. Iā€™d like to start next year with Joe and Stewart as the key forwards. Smack as depth. Smack is also ruck depth if needed. But we need Draper to be 2nd in line by next season.
We need to draft a young key forward to start developing

1 Like

This season still has a way to go, in the sense of us getting a feel for where weā€™re placed for 2019 and beyond, and for kids to prove themselves (or not).

Hartley is an interesting one for mine. Everyone knows Iā€™m in the Hooker forward bandwagon (am I the leader???), even moreso if he loses any mobility as he ages. If Hooker isnā€™t back, weā€™re not that deep for true KP defenders, especially tall ones. Hurley, Ambrose, Francis is it. Zerk coming through, but is he tall enough?

Additionally, Ambrose is injured a lot and none of those are quite as tall as Hartley. Given the need, and that Hartley is only 25 or so, Iā€™d be keeping him around. He can fill a role, and many premiership sides have had makeshift key defenders in them. If we donā€™t keep Hartley, I think weā€™re using a late pick on a tall, and lets delay that at least one year.

Brown would be playing for his career at the moment in my mind (and with an uphill struggle to do it).

4 Likes

Letā€™s help out the poor old Suns give some players, Brown, Hartley, Dea, Long, Jerrett, as long as we get May.

I wonder if its possible to get Swallow from them?

Agreed.

Hooker I want fwd again. Means need to consider kpd options, perhaps just for another year as Zerk is still very raw & Francis hasnā€™t been played in an accountable kpd role yet.

I however think theyā€™d choose to keep Brown over Hartā€™s though, seems to be more in favour with coaches and also can play fwd

Either way one is likely done & actually should carry some trade value. Experienced 196cm+ kpd arent all that common, and some clubs really are lacking in them.

I thought I read somewhere Zerk is 197 now. Plus heā€™s 19, could have another year of growing.

1 Like

Then we can hear commentators say, ā€œHooker to Swallowā€

6 Likes

I donā€™t think brown and Hartley would have any trade value. At best maybe a very late pick swap

1 Like

Think they prefer Brown as heā€™s been better offensively than Harts, although I believe Hartley has been working hard on that part of his game.

Sam Collins is now in the VFL, and probably played as well as Hartley and Brown.

On Hartley over Brown, Iā€™d probably go Hartley based on age.

I probably would tooā€¦plus height.
But I agree with Speedy that theyā€™ll probably choose Brown because heā€™s more in favour.
Iā€™d still delist bothā€¦but a lot will depend on how confident they are that Zerk will be ready to at least be depth next season, plus where they want to play Hooker.

Iā€™ve swayed back and forth on the Hooker forward/back debate. If he goes forward, I think Stewart has to go back to being the depth, because I donā€™t think we should play him, Joe and Hooker in the one team.

But Fraga intercepts.

canā€™t believe I went in for thatā€¦

3 Likes

Mid depth is the necessity, a ruck/key forward but I think we need to clear out a few guys that are not going to make it for some small forwards. Small forwards form fluctuate and we need an extra 2.
Delist/retire/trade: Goddard, Baguley, Brown, Merrett, Mcneice, Laverde and Long. Luey also if we can replace him.
3 small forwards, 3 mids and 1 ruck/ key forward.

We need May, nasty big carnt just what we lack.

1 Like

I was in favour of trading one of Brown/Ambrose/Hartley. With Gleeson, Francis, Dea, Zerk-Thatcher, Hooker, Hurley all able to play on tall(ish) forwards, we donā€™t need everyone. Even getting a pick upgrade is providing us with some value.

Weā€™ve only got two picks in the top 60. I wouldnā€™t be cutting deep this draft. Weā€™ll probably be losing Bags, Goddard, Jerrett, Leuy and one of Brown/Hartley, so that is five without even blinking.

Why would one of those have any trade value when Sam Collins didnā€™t?

1 Like

Disagree depending on who is left on the list.

This thing we did last year where we kept guys for heavens knows what reason is ridiculous. Particularly when our last pick in the main draft was Guelfi who is going alright. And our rookie draft pick Mynott looks to have some skills as well.