List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

I would like to see Bags get another year.
Farkin sue me.

2 Likes

I understand the sentiment. But would it really be that difficult to find someone in football land that can provide the small defensive forward pressure that Bags does, plus have a bit of forward craft about them, that maybe isnā€™t over the age of 30?

2 Likes

Ok.

Itā€™s not sentiment for me - I reckon Bags is a valuable part of the team and has a role to play next year.

I think you are reaching. He has already been kicked out of his career position in the back pocket. Played some good games as a forward, but it is a very big call to see him cementing that spot for any length of time in my opinion.

3 Likes

Totally agree. Heā€™s doing well to prolong things, but heā€™s done. Iā€™d actually like to see Long given a go in his spot at some stage before the season is over. I donā€™t think Long is going to make it, but Iā€™d like him to get a 3 game stretch to find out for sure.

1 Like

It obviously depends on how the recruiters rate the draft late, and who has done what. There are others (e.g. Long) who would be on the fringes as well and need to show something this year.

If McNiece had come on, Iā€™d agree.
We still need an agile and fast back pocket. I want Guelfi & McKenna as mids, and Walla as fwd/mid.
The game is heading towards smaller, agile forwards and attacking mids. Ambrose/Hurley/Gleeson/Zerk/Hooker/Dea/Brown/Francis/Ridley do not fill that particular need, in my opinion.

Iā€™m not convinced Geulfi will end up a mid for us. Iā€™d like to see him tried in the backline. He seems to have spent big chunks of time their recently.

Isnā€™t Gleeson a small defender, and Dea has been doing jobs on smalls recently? Bags is also slowing down considerably, so saying he can handle someone fast is a bit of a stretch.

Maybe thatā€™s his role for now, and that takes Bags out of it, I donā€™t know. But what I see in Guelfi is a different spread of talents that would be wasted in the back line.

I donā€™t think he is (Gleeson). What are his strengths? Primarily, his marking, and his willingness to take on the game. He has a good blend of defense/attack mentality. He is one of my favourite players, and unfortunately - has the most common skill set on our list. Ridley/Hurley/Brown/Gleeson/Francis all very talented, all have similar skills though arte also built differently from each other. Francis would be Hurls replacement. Brown is depth. Ridley & Gleeson are HB/wing and interchangeable.

Who do we have that could take a fast agile small forward? Someone around the 180 (or plays like one)?

Saad is currently getting the role. McKenna, Redman, McNiece and in a pinch McGrath (if we want to sacrifice the midfield) can all do that.

I admit Iā€™d quite like to get Hind late, who would then be another addition to that group.

3 Likes

Yep, Saad. Heā€™s the one. How did I forget Saadā€¦
Ok, maybe Iā€™m just ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  sentimental.

Hind - I love some things he does, but he would be a very frustrating player on an AFL list I reckon. He does have costly brain-fades.

The reasons Iā€™d trade / delist one tall is they are largely depth, we have plenty of them and we have gaps galore that late picks could fill. Plus it gives the player an opportunity for more game time with another club.

Look for a Guelfi type that could play inside midfield or small defender. One year contract and turn them over. We keep complaining that we hold players we donā€™t need for too long. This is an example of that.

Hind is taking the game on, it may not work out every time but atleast heā€™s in there taking a risk and creating play.
His kick to handball ratio is pretty high, would be interesting to know what his disposal efficiency is.

1 Like

I see St.kilda have sacked thier list manager only if Essendon had the same balls to sack Dodoro.

Saints list build is nowhere against their 5yr plan or whatever it was.

EFC were on verge of something then saga tore us down and now building back from that again.

Disco landed us SSS last year and heā€™ll try go better than that this year IMO.

Has been a good servant of the club but this has to be his final year along with Goddard

Whoa whoa whoaā€¦ better than SSS??? What land of fairies and unicorns is this?

Letā€™s not for a second think that last years trade period is now the expected standard. It was beyond extraordinary. It should not have been remotely possible.

5 Likes