List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

None of them were really considered a big fish in the whole scheme of things. But on output now they have all been fantastic.

Let’s see how it all pans out at years end.

Oh, I’m not against cutting one, especially if Zerk and Francis develop this year. I just don’t think they have any trade value.

2 Likes

Take it to the Dodorro thread

Yeah I think he gets another year at this point.

Unless he falls off a cliff in the second half of the year.

1 Like

It’s not an either/or decision.

At this point we’re probably cutting 3 main list, and 2 or 3 on the rookie list before even looking at someone like Bags.

Mid - mid - small fwd
Re-tread ruck on the rookie list + best of the rest

I expect 8 or 9 list changes. 6 off the main list and 2 or 3 rookies.

But the mids! I like and don’t like jackets depending on the blitz wind at all times.

In seriousness though, we pressed hard on SSS, do we try and get an extra pick this year or go again, we’re hard to evaluate… I’d hope hit the draft as list seems overall inconsistent enough to be more future focused.

A lot more losses (Koby stevens, Hugh Goddard, McCartin, McKenzie, Long, Battle), than wins (Gresham, Sinclair, Jack Steele, Lonie, arguably Carlisle) over the past 4 years.

The draft before this guy took over they went pretty well: Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Weller.
I expect Alan Richardson will follow end of year, they’re putrid most weeks.

And then snap up Caracella.

1 Like

Who have we got on the rookies list? McKernan (doubt it), Draper (no chance), Mynott (doubt it), McNiece (possibly), Lavender (Cat B)

Main list - possible - Goddard, Baguley, Leuenberger, One or two of Brown, Dea and Hartley
Probable - Merrett, Long
Vague possibility- Laverde, Green, Houlahan

1 Like

If we keep McKernan again, does he have to go back to the main list?

Dunstan is not talked about as a potential inside mid in any trades. Could he be prised away and develop his game at EFC?

Edit- why am I on Blitz asking this at 7.36am? I need to get a life.

6 Likes

IF ONLY.

I doubt Caracella will come to Essendon.

About how I’d call it, but Leuey’s a probably for mine. Not anywhere near pushing Bellcho for a spot and right now I think they’d roll with McNernan too.
An unspecified AWOL injury is not good either.

Another great read by Shawry and his assessment of where the club sit halfway through the season.

In particular interest to me is how he believes we need to continue to get games into the young guys as this is where our long term improvement comes from.

He believes that this doesn’t need to come at the expense of results and I totally agree.

1 Like

Love this man’s insights

1 Like

Long is a rookie, McNeice Cat B (via Indian mother)

I expect we’ll have 1 live rookie pick (assuming we take Fletcher as a rookie); Draper upgrade, Long delist; McKernan, Mynott hold

Long’s not a rookie. He was promoted to the main list after last season.

What does “inside defensive and forward arcs” actually mean to the commoners amongst us?