List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Crazy Vossy

Yep. Pick 28 Iā€™m pretty sure. They also lost Polec, Docherty & Aish around a similar time for second round pick after investing considerable time & development into them not to mention low first round picks (Aish pick 7, Polec pick 5 & Docherty pick 12). Think they originally selected Yeo in the second round but ask Jonathan Brown about Yeo from the moment he walked in the doors, Brown said he had Simon Black written all over him with his preparation and work rate. Fkg devastating for Brisbane to lose players of this caliber for mediocre second round picks to start again with. Set them back years.

2 Likes

From AFL - itā€™s all about us getting a midfielder.

Trade target
Mitch Wallis: An inside midfielder who has been in and out of the Dogsā€™ line-up this season. Essendon needs big bodies to complement its mix of smaller midfielders.

Dom Tyson: The Demon is fighting for a spot as one of Melbourneā€™s first-choice midfielders but would walk into Essendonā€™s on-ball brigade. Can find the ball and feed it out.

Will Brodie: The Suns donā€™t have much midfield depth themselves but Brodie is a genuine inside midfielder and the Bombers need as much depth in that area as they can find.

On the table
Matthew Leuenberger: The former Lion has fallen behind Tom Bellchambers as the clubā€™s No.1 ruck option. Heā€™s mature, experienced and ready to play so could be of interest to clubs in desperate need of a ruckman.

Shaun McKernan: McKernanā€™s capacity to take a grab up forward and pinch-hit in the ruck means he could come into a side and play a role straight away.

James Stewart: Stewart was dropped from Essendonā€™s forward line last game against Brisbane. He has kicked 15 goals this season from 11 games. - Callum Twomey

James Stewart on the trade table?

That would be a stupid idea considering heā€™s still only 24 and has shown a lot of improvement since arriving at the club.

Itā€™s not like we have great depth for tall forwards either.

6 Likes

Iā€™d put him up if it landed us a midfielder.

Since when has Mitch Wallis been a big body.

2 Likes

Midfielders game these days Killer, got to give some quality to get some back.

Stewart and a 2nd rounder for Brodie ?

Ignoring the pros/cons of Stewart (or any tall) versus a midfielder, trading Stewart would be stupid because of the message it sends. We lured him from another team only 2 years ago (2016), to trade him on now would be a terrible precedent for anyone considering coming to the club.

Let alone trading him to Queensland!

2 Likes

Anthony Miles is too, apparently.
Itā€™s Blitz terminology, it translates to ā€œslow and canā€™t kickā€

1 Like

You donā€™t need to tell me that its a midfielders game, I have been complaining all year about how many talls we carry, but we have no depth in forwards and thatā€™s why we currently have Smack and Brown filling roles.

I think we have midfield depth but not the top end quality that other sides have.

Brodie wont fix that.

Okay, so who would you consider putting up for trade to get a couple of decent mids in to the club ?

It has been for a long time but there is a chance that KPP might have a bit more importance when these new starting positions, slashed interchange and whatever other rules designed to ease congestion come into effect for next year.

Imo we are fine for KPP atm though.

No way does Stewart go. Our kpf depth was nowhere previously and if they are keeping a Hooker back more often than not we need him.

Stewart was in middle of re-signing and may have already IIRC

Our kpp depth is in defence. One of Harts / Brown / Ambrose would likely go.

Got no problem with keeping Stewart, just saying heā€™s not untradable if the right deal came up for a quality mid.

3 Likes

If we traded Stewart this year, next year there would be a similar article talking about how we need a key forward

And tall forwards not only take a lot longer to come on, but are also far less available for trade.

1 Like

I agree you have to give up something to get something but you donā€™t give up a 24 year old KPF when we have no others.

Dodoro got us 3 elite players in the last trade period so it can be done.

The truly elite mids(which there is probably only ten of) arenā€™t available often so I agree they are more valuable.

Shawry mentioned in this weeks article that we as a club need to develop the youth we have on our list if we want to take the next step and I agree with him.

Everyone here knows Iā€™m a massive fan of Langford so lets continue to pump games into him. Stringer is another that can improve us and then there is the wildcards like McKenna.

I like our depth of talent in midfield but we desperately need one or two to step up and become guns.

Replacing a key forward would be much harder.

1 Like

Heā€™s job would be to win the ball in tight and apply tackles.

Now that Wines if off the table which other elite inside mids are avaible?

I dunno, itā€™s your story, you tell me.

We certainly need to add some more outside mid talent. Crying out for a fit Colyer, which says a bit.

1 Like