List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

I can see the argument for trading a tall, but I’d be far happier to trade one of the 27-28yo guys than Stewart.
We have virtually all our eggs are in the one basket, that being Stewart’s age group.

2 Likes

Who have been all the key forwards in the premiership sides the last few years?

Key forwards are 100% overrated. The game is built around pressure and speed. We’ve got joe, and yes I do think stewart is a good second tall. But if someone offered us a decent midfielder/half forward in return I’d take it every day of the week

What would you get for Stewart?

We’re ok with the outside talent lack inside grunt that the top teams have havent replaced Jobe.

The strong and reliable ConDom Tyson

Like Zaha and Smith and…
umm

But it’s OK, because coming through the reserves we have Colyer and…
erm…

Vs Stringer, Heppell, Begley, Clarke, Langford, Mutch who will all end up as inside midfielders.

We’re getting creamed on turnovers week after week after week, despite winning plenty of clearances, plenty of contested ball.
We need outside pace class.

2 Likes

The key forward was also dead before Hawks found a way to get Roughead, Franklin, Tim Boyle to work. I don’t think it’s as cut and dried as that.

2 Likes

Tom Boyd went alright in the Dogs GF

exactly.

Wouldn’t be worth it.

You forgot Parish,Mcgrath and Fantasia who can play through there

We really need to give Clarke a run to see if he has a chance to be the player.
But we probably do still need to find another inside mid, at least for depth to replace Myers when he falls off the cliff.

Id still like to target a younger player - Setterfield, Brodie, Tyson, Hopper, Tarranto, Mills, DeGoey, salem, Billings, Ross

If we could get a gun in their prime then one of - Shiel, Ward, Coniglio, Parker, Heeney, Fyfe, The Bont, Shuey,

That would depend on who wanted him and what your getting in return

I’m not advocating ditching stewart, I’d rather keep him in a perfect world and no doubt we will. But in a hypothetical, he is what I’d consider trade bait to land us a good midfielder. Would you trade a first round pick and stewart for matt crouch? I would

And who else helped him out?

Tigers had reiwoldt and…

Midfields wim premierships. The sooner the club puts everything they can into building a elite midfield which I hope is what we are doing now, the better off we’ll be

We got left behind while every other team was building midfields.

2017 Tigers leading goal kickers
Reiwoldt 54
Martin 37
Butler 30
Castagna 26
Rioli 25
Caddy 21
Cotchin 17
Townsend 16

Essendon 2017
Daniher 65
Hooker 41
Fantasia 39
Tippa 34
Stewart 22
Green 17
Colyer 12

Tiger’s don’t exactly have a great midfield though, ranked 17th for clearances

1 Like

They don’t care if they win the clearance, the fact they run Grigg as a ruck kinda proves it. But there intense pressure means they will win it off you.

1 Like

A midfield is far more than just clearances, although that is a surprising stat tbh.

Since when has Mitch Wallis been a big body.

2 Likes

Their game plan doesn’t rely on talent, at least not in the traditional sense. Pressure around the ball and especially in the forwardline is their MO, you don’t need talent to do that. A small forwardline that are committed to defense and a somewhat negative, defend first mindset at the stoppages is what works for them.

Their midfield only consists of Martin, Cotchin, Prestia and maybe Edwards are their only A-graders. It’ll be interesting to watch them play against a team that uses the same tactics with a more ‘talented’ team.

EDIT Whilst I’m thinking about it they don’t really have any slow players outside of Nankervis, even their talls move really well

1 Like