List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

I wouldn’t trade Stewart, but I would like us to pick up Tyson if the price was right.

2 Likes

I’d pass on Tyson. If we can’t snare an elite mid, at the right age, for the right price, I’d rather keep the faith in the kids we have.

7 Likes

I’m one that doesn’t see much point in Wallis or to a lesser extent Tyson. We need to know if Langford, Clarke, Guelfi, Parish, McGrath etc. are the future of our midfield or not.

The only way to do that is to give them significant midfield time at senior level. Bringing in more mid-range players won’t improve us by any significant margin and will hamper the development of others.

5 Likes

I have the feeling that unless there was a Wines or a Cripps on the market, our list is well worth persevering with.

What we do need to do is pour money into creating an elite coaching environment, with Neil Balme like football management behind it, and getting the players heads in the right spot, in all circumstances, a la the Richmond FC Mindfulness training that Dusty trialled and the rest of the team took up when they saw the results.

1 Like

I think we need another couple of mids and I don’t think they need to be elite to improve our list. It’s important to remember that David Myers plays when fit. If we can find a bigger inside player that can be an upgrade on Myers we should explore it and if we can find a good runner on the outside who can draw the ball and use it well we should consider it. I think we are putting a little to much hope in the likes of Clarke and Mutch.

2 Likes

I think we are putting a ridiculous amount of hope in the likes of David Myers, but that’s just me.

2 Likes

Agree. I felt our small midfield might actually work really well for that reason. But I feel as if we have a tendency to go too big for it to be a point of difference in the match.

The young bloke running around with Port Albert, Powell - Pepper open the cheque book.

1 Like

I believe that is a misconception, as it would mean the opposition would have 12 to 18 players in defence.

2 Likes

Having anyone playing in our forwardline is a misconception. The problem is there is no one in there.

1 Like

FWIW I don’t think this is anything like the truth.

If anything we are more focussed than other sides on our wingers holding position wide. We’ve dropped a few back at times (too often), but rarely stacked the midfield. And when we have, it’s to add the “spitter” off the back of the square, not another contested type.

1 Like

rip Zerret

I wouldn’t call any of them outside midfielders.

Question
In hindsight would youbtake McGrath or Powell Pepper ?

Hurly

2 Likes

Can only hope this question is a joke question…

Taranto.

:heart:️ McGrath but I think consensus might have been right about mcluggage.

McGrath, P-P, Taranto and McCluggage will all be good players; only1 of them will be a premiership captain and we chose him

How quickly we all forget.

McGrath has had a bit of a stop start season. Hasn’t settled in to the groove yet after some niggling issues.

Is an absolute gun and worthy number 1.

Also McCluggage, Taranto and McG will be head and shoulders better players than SPP. SPP was projected to make an immediate impact. But as time passes even guys like Florent and Simpkin will outgrow him.

1 Like