List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Yeah, sorry I didn’t mean Zerk and Draper were ready for next year, but more that they need a run for reward.

Francis, Parish, Stewart and Ridley at some stage should be best 22 in my opinion so I think that should start now. Their apprenticeships are done and I believe they will be best served playing seniors.

Clarke for Myers is a no-brainer for mine.

I’d bring in Parish for Myers myself.

1 Like

As long as Myers is out I’m happy.

Former Richmond coach Danny Frawley is buying stock in Essendon for 2019, expressing his belief they could easily work their way into the top four after missing finals this year.

The Dons come off a close 16-point loss to Collingwood and look increasingly likely to miss finals, sitting 12th on the ladder and two wins outside the eight.

Frawley believes with the list they’re building and the brand of football they have put on display this season, fans should be optimistic for 2019 where they could potentially rocket up the ladder.

“I think the fact that Joe Daniher is not out there, probably their best player other than Zach Merrett, it’s hard when you lose that,” said Frawley on SEN Breakfast.

“It’s about growth for the future.

“McKernan has put back to back really solid games in,” he added.

“If he can maintain the form throughout the rest of the year, he could be a really good foil for Joe coming back.

“Devon Smith’s probably going to win their (Best and Fairest).

“McGrath’s building as well.

“It’s going to be a disappointing year if they don’t make it (finals), but look out next year.

“They’re building, they’ve still got Hurley, hooker, they need to play finals.

“They could quite easily miss it (finals) this year and go straight to the top four next year.

“If they were a stock right now, I reckon they’re a much needed buy.”

2 Likes

If spud is buying in I’m out.

7 Likes

When was the last time we used our first round pick on a highly rated, big bodied mid?

Oh…

1 Like

Langford? 2014

Kavanagh? 2012

Heppell? 2010

Melksham? 2009

Myers? 2007

…Not sure to whom you are referring

1 Like

The vast majority of big bodied mids are trucks.

Just becuase the top half a dozen big bodied mids in the comp are superstars doesn’t mean you just pick heaps of them up. I mean look at our success with it.

1 Like

Speed and overall running power is the key to success for modern midfields and midfielders, if they’re tall or big bodied that’s a bonus

2 Likes

Why not???

Why not play some of the youngsters and give them game time and have a good look at them playing under pressure??? We are not going anywhere, other teams do exactly the same thing. Are we above it?

Or are our coaching staff and selectors so skilled they know already all the information they need to cut out the dead wood at the end of the season. If so good, I can’t wait to see what decisions they make. If not, we’ll just get more of the same old same old.

I forgot that Langford was a 1st rounder. And of course Hepp is a star.

But him and Hepp still only make ⅖ success rate. I think if we had ⅗ from these, we’d be a lot more potent as a team. Seen from the fact that when Myers plays well, we win. Unfortunately Myers big games are too few and far between.

When it comes to drafting there is so much luck involved.

Where players fall on draft day, especially early is usually predetermined to some extend and sometimes there just isn’t the type you need at your pick.

Then there’s injuries/development hiccups, and in our case losing 2 first rounders from sanctions doesn’t help considering access to players like Bontempelli and Cripps were stripped from us. If we got Paddy to go to GWS we likely would have ended up with De Goey.

2 Likes

I personally don’t see the need to rush Stewart back. He’s had plenty of time at AFL level and knows what’s needed. He needs to prove he’s improving on his deficiencies before he comes back now imo. Brown and Smack are both performing adequately, to the extent that they’re probably both ahead of Stewart in the pecking order as Joe’s foil.

I’m not convinced about giving Zerk a game. That might do him more harm than good.
I agree on Draper getting a game .

I’m not sure about Brown and Smack being ahead but both are currently playing to structures which is all you can ask.

Stewart in my opinion should continue to develop well and strikes me as pretty smart so hopefully should adjust to the team ethos soon enough.

Zerk is no where near a senior starter just yet but I firmly believe you should reward young talent as soon as they are playing at a high enough level, consistently.

Zerk has already played quite a few high standard games this year.

Who do you bring Zerk in for? Presumably he’s being groomed as a KPP. So he waits for a Hurley/Hooker injury?

Woosha obviously doesn’t like making big calls but that’s what needs to happen.

Rest both Hurley and Goddard for the Gold Coast game and bring in Francis and Zerk.

1 Like

Middle of the road team and I’m over it sick and tired on banking on potential we need to see results

1 Like

I think that’s a bad idea to bring them both in together. Francis i can agree with though

1 Like

Nope.

What happens with Francis in the next game after that one?