List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Agreed. I think somewhere between 4 and 6 will go off the main list

Really, thatā€™s a reasonable cull for a pretty balanced list. I could easily see us moving on the minimum this year.

1 Like
  • As others have said, Looney and Jerrett are certainties to go.
  • I personally think Hartley will be delisted.
  • Some of Long, Baguley, McNeice and Goddard will go. Iā€™m not really sure which one/s, but Iā€™d be surprised if we keep more than 2 of them, although if we trade someone else out, they might keep 3 of them.
  • I think someone will be traded out, possibly someone we donā€™t expect. I have no inside info, I just think someone will request or trade or the club will offer up someone to try and improve the draft position. It wouldnā€™t surprise me at all if Laverde asks to leave. It could be Smack.
1 Like

Reckon that Laverde may be shopped around (assuming he doesnā€™t want to look elsewhere through own choice).

1 Like

Itā€™s a fair assessment and Im not really advocating either way. But I think both Bagley and Goddard could easily get another year and we might let just the three go.

Possibly. Iā€™m not against either of them staying on.
It will certainly be an interesting off season because there arenā€™t as many obvious calls this year as there usually are.

1 Like

But is it strong that deep? Iā€™ve heard nothing about the 50+ range. And we donā€™t have a third rounder. There may be not much benefit delisting someone for a pick 60 odd versus any other year.

I suspect if we let more than 2 go, the extras will be creating list space for traded and FA players coming in.

1 Like

guelfi ambrose hurly

saad hooker gleeson

mcg langford zaka

fanta jd stringer

smith francis tippa

tbell zerett hepp

redman ridley mckenna smack parish begley mcniece

round 1 2019

mutch

At this point I would:
See if anyone wants Colyer as a trade. Keep if not.

Tap on the shoulder for Bags & Leuey (-2 off the list). Cut Jerrett, Hartley, Long, in that order. (-5)

Hopefully find a ruck as a DFA, or very cheap trade(-4). Smack comes up onto the main list (-3).
If both Colyer and Lav go, Iā€™d keep Long and take 4 live picks, otherwise go to draft with 3 live picks

Itā€™s possible McNeice plays his way into an upgrade too, which might put someone else out the door.
Iā€™d still want at least 3 live picks.

Oh and if the cap stretches to Gaff, abso-frigging-lutely.

If Colyer and Lav go and you keep Long, doesnā€™t that leave it as 4 live picks?

Bags has kicked two bags of 3 this year and is causing all sorts of mayhem in the forward line that Green and Colyer could only dream of. Unless we find another small forward with nouse, overhead ability and a bit of mongrel why wouldnā€™t we keep him? Durable as ā– ā– ā– ā–  also

4 Likes

Yes.

Aim for 3 live picks: mostly because we only have a 1st, 2nd & 4th rounder. I donā€™t know about picking into the 5th, 6th round, particularly if other clubs see it as a deep draft, itā€™s more likely other clubs will still be picking.

But if Colyer and Lav go, we should end up with at least another pick in the top 40 odd, if not two. Iā€™m confident (ish) with Disco picking there.

My main aims would be to get a good outside mid, a good small forward, a backup ruck, and a project tall forward. Roughly that order.

1 Like

Harsh on the young guys, didnā€™t realise you have to win a Brownlow in your teens to be considered a good draft choice. Weā€™ve also lacked opportunities to give young guys a game and you canā€™t put them all in at once.
Pretty poor listening, there general understanding of football isnā€™t great.

If theyā€™re making errors, whatā€™s the point of trying to draw conclusions?

1 Like

Colyer, Hartley and Laverde would be good candidates to shop around. I think they would have some currency, not a huge amount but enough to test the water with.

Iā€™m not a fan, but I still wouldnā€™t be shopping Laverde around just yet.

6 Likes

Do we really need any more rucks? It feels to me, weā€™d have to spend time getting in a ruck who:

a) is happy to sit behind Belly in the rankings
b) is good enough to play AFL without any issues
c) isnā€™t concerned that Draper will get played in the ruck in the VFL ahead of them

I donā€™t think almost anyone will fill that criteria. A Belly/Draper/Smack combo, with JD and Lavender as emergency break glass options seems to make far more sense from a list perspective. If Draper ends up getting more games than expected next year, I donā€™t think its a disaster. Draper will be competitive, and would learn heaps.

Given how tight list spots are, I just donā€™t see the point in grabbing a journeyman ruck when Draper and Smack are there.

Of course, if Smack leaves then it becomes an absolute priority.

2 Likes

Comments:

• I agree on shopping Colyer around, although he might at best get a 4th => 3rd round upgrade (IMO). More about releasing list space.
  • Iā€™ve already mentioned the ruck situation above.
  • With McNiece, even if he earns an upgrade, you can now give him more money and keep him on the rookie list. I would think we would do so.
  • I donā€™t see why Bags would go from being best 22 ahead of Colyer, Green right now, to being delisted. If nobody can force him out now, why weaken the side by delisting him?
  • Given our concerns over tall defenders going forward (i.e. post Hurley/Hooker) and Ambroseā€™s fragile body, I think it isnā€™t a great move to cut Hartley. At least wait until Zerk/Francis are more proven.
4 Likes

Maric and the Russian were break glass options in their last years, I think Luey could stay on one more year. Iā€™m with you on not going after a mediocre ruckman, either keep Luey one more year or risk it.
Daniher is another option who played ruck his whole junior career and the argument of not putting your best player in the ruck because of injury is a crap argument because heā€™s just as likely getting injured at full forward.