List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Stewart and LAV have re-signed

2yrs each

Great to see as I was thinking would lose them.

With Smack seemingly signed as well I suspect Brown/Harts & Dea are going to be traded/delisted

1 Like

I donā€™t understand why theyā€™d delist Brown. He was excellent for basically the whole second half of the year. Well ahead of Stewart at this point.

Trade maybe if they think heā€™s worth somethingā€¦

2 Likes

Come on Bombers sign Mitch Brown. He has been a very handy player for us.

2 Likes

Brown turns 29 next year

As good as Brown has been heā€™s back up as they will be playing Daniher/Smack as first choice duo.

Iā€™d say Stewart & possibly Harts being prioritized due to age. They will be around as our core group comes through together.

If he goes Brown would have a lot to offer another club IMO and multiple clubs would be keen so maybe a trade could occur

I should note Smack also turns 29 next year

Well, Smack hasnā€™t signed on yet either.

Some pretty heavy negotiations going on behind closed doors with the players it seems.

Not a lot of money to throw around this year as we make what may be our last major play before we end up with a pretty tight salary cap going forward.

l would also like us to hang on to Brown, as he showed good value in the second half of the season. However, l understand he could be used as part of a trade, or bait to land a bigger fish.

1 Like

There is no way Mitch Brown gets delisted. Tradedā€¦ possiblyā€¦ Delistedā€¦ not a chance in hell

10 Likes

You may find there arenā€™t many more changes.

If we donā€™t bring anyone in weā€™ve got the three list spots. One FA/trade in could be offset by those you listed or Long.

Any additional delisting without someone coming in means picks in the 5th round and later. The question then is whether who you get is better than a Hartley, Dea or Brown.

1 Like

If McKernan resigns on a decent contract as rumoured heā€™l be upgraded off the rookie list without a doubt, so that is one senior list spot that needs to be factored in (potentially).

Rookie list players can now be on higher contracts and play anytime, so we wouldnā€™t need to upgrade him.

Additionally, rookie upgrades count as as a drafted player, so he would use one of those slots if upgraded.

Leuy and McKernan should also be on the ā€œat risk ā€œ list. Although for different reasons.

Hasnā€™t McNernan been on the rookie list for 3 years so he has to be upgraded this year (assuming we keep him)?

Yeah, but lets face it we will if he signs a 2 year contract because it would be a ā– ā– ā– ā–  move to do otherwise (not to mention poor use of the rookie list).

1 Like

McKernan was on the senior list in 2016, so he can stay another year on the rookie list

Why? The rookie list is effectively now part of the senior list, with a few quirky rules. People considering the two as separate probably should stop doing so. If the pay, conditions and eligibility to play are the same on the senior and rookie list, why would Smack care? Especially if it improves our drafting on the night.

To be honest, they should just get rid of the rookie list, but keep the rookie draft, and have the rookie draft be where you offer 1 year deals but onto the main list.

1 Like

Iā€™d rather keep him in the rookie list and take an extra pick in the main draft, as opposed to the rookie draft

1 Like

I doubt we can pay someone $200k/yr+ whilst on rookie list. There would be some cap regarding it.

Smack has to be upgraded and rightly so. Heā€™ll be best 22

Rookie list counts towards the main salary cap, so yes, everything is captured. And you donā€™t need to be on the senior list, so being best 22 or not is pretty much immaterial. It really just comes down to whether its better for the team to promote him this year or next year.

Forgot Bags. Heā€™s also at risk.

No real strategic reason, I just think it looks poor giving a guy a new contract who is possibly going to be a starting member of the team and leaving him on the rookie list. Sort of like giving a salesman who crushed it a bonus and additional perks but still leaving him a junior salesman instead of a senior one. But thatā€™s just my view on the optics of it.
Granted that analogy only partially works as work titles donā€™t require shuffling staff around, but I think it should be pretty easy to get McKernan on the senior list.

Also Iā€™ve always advocated the rookie list (or last few list slots if they got rid of the rookie list like you suggested and which should have been done years ago imo) be used for talented guys who may or may not make it but have plenty of upside (not plodders or dropping players off the main list for backup). These sorts of players tend to be flaky early and have a lot of flaws to iron out so while the rookie list is still around I feel it would be much better for them if they were on it as expectations on them would be kept in check.

1 Like