List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Francis and Zerk will replace them anyway

And if not both we will poach someone

We have one of the best track records in finding and developing KPDs in the comp, we shouldnā€™t be worried about it.

Franga may end up a CHB, he may also end up a Mid, at the very least heā€™ll be a multi-AA 3rd Tall/sweeper

1 Like

Yeah but there are many ways to skin a cat. The great recent premiership sides of Geelong and Hawthorn both had at least 3 top quality KPP at any given time. WC this year is top line also.

Geelong - Scarlett, H.Taylor, Hawkins and then Mooney, Podsiadly as B grade support
Hawthorn - Lake, Frawley, Gibson, Franklin, Roughhead, Gunston
WC - McGovern, Kennedy, Darling

Iā€™m not advocating ā€˜going tallā€™, just that I hope we donā€™t lose sight of them. Over the next 2 years I think we should try to add 2-3 top midfield talents to an already promising group. Adding something like Setterfield & Martin to Heppell, Myers, Merrett, Zaka, Smith, Parish, Langford, McGrath, Stringer, Walla and Raz is IMO, a group capable of challenging the best midfields providing we get expected natural growth from those young players in bold.

But it would also be nice to add another KP prospect that will minimise the hole Hooker and Hurley will leave but also maximise our KP strengths while we are hopefully contending in the next 2/3 years. Whether thatā€™s a FA like Stratton next year or our first round pick next year. Weā€™d at least have them to fill the H&H shoes and not be forced to rely on a Ambrose - Zerk (could be nothing) - Stewart - Daniher spine.

1 Like

The recent Hawthorn/Sydney/Geelong situation was because their natural competitors were denied access to to talent for a number of years, allowing ā€œtopped upā€ teams with a core of quality to stay at the summit far longer than at any other time.

1 Like

Zerk (could be nothing)
[/quote]

Such blasphemy is unacceptable!

2 Likes

Francis is in no way less physically capable than Michael Hurley other than judgement coming with experience. Physically he is the same height and weight just as strong, with a better leap and hands. I canā€™t see why he canā€™t play KP defence if Hurley can do it to AA level. The problem may be that he is needed elsewhere.

With Ridley, he seems more in the Gleeson mould as a third tall type, but who is to say what his limit is, he is the third youngest player at the club (until the draft at least), so his ceiling isnā€™t set yet. He will get bigger, and may even get taller, but probably wonā€™t take on the gorillas.

If Zerk can build a robust enough body, I believe he can be a dynamic full size KPD, he is already punching way above his weight range, and is a similar height and has a similar leap to Ryder.

And as far as future options go, Dodoro has found KPPā€™s like Hooker, Josh Jenkins, Stewart, McKernan, Brown, Hartley, Zerk-Thatcher etc. with nothing higher than a 4th round pick.

1 Like

Hurley not as strong and tough as he used to be
Needs to eat meat

1 Like

Your head is meat.

1 Like

Is Hurley a vegetarian?

We need:

• a hard as nails small lock-down defender with an attacking side (perhaps a mature age pick late in the draft or in rookie list)

• a first rate inside clearance winning machine with burst speed, two-way running, and good foot skills (Coniglio, shiel etc)

• a gut running ball winning mid on the outside (in the mould of gaff, Scully, sidebottom etc)

• another ruck/fwd prospect (late draft/rookie list)

• more depth in the middle (late picks on the likes of Mitch Grigg)

4 Likes

Youā€™re happy with Colyer and Baguley as small forwards in our 22?

2 Likes

Nope. Iā€™d move both on this off-season ideally.

Jack Martin would be an ideal upgrade.

2 Likes

Just because heā€™s indigā€¦ Martinā€™s a midfielder.

100% need a crumber in the mix. Chopped Green, chopped Jacko, they played about 12-15 games between them in that role this year, Bags is 30+ and Colyerā€™s really not suited to that role. Obvious hole is obvious.

6 Likes

Anyone else like Bugg as a small defender?

1 Like

Donā€™t hate it. But then, Iā€™m not convinced itā€™s the highest priority. Has he been delisted?

Lockdown defender - Nope, back 6 is stacked already
Clearance Machine - Agreed, but not certain Shiel has the good footskills criteria covered. Heā€™ll do though.
Gut running outside mid - Agreed, we could absolutely use a good wing. Needs speed though ideally.
Ruck/Fwd prospect - Nah. We need a back-up main ruck if Leuey leaves while we wait for Draper. We donā€™t need a ruck / fwd at this stage, in my opinion.
Midfield Depth - Canā€™t hurt. But I do think we have midfield depth. What we need is midfield elite, and that has been covered with the above positions.

Small Forward who can impact in the middle - I reckon we could do with another two on the list. Tiwi islands, letā€™s see what youā€™ve got.

2 Likes

Read here that he was, so definitely maybe.

Edit: Just checked. Yep, cut.
Only played three games for them this year.

Pretty sure he plays forward as well. These days your forwards need to be able to push up the ground. Stay at home small forwards are a thing of the past. Would complement Fanta and walla beautifully.

1 Like

He could, but why would you go recruit a superstar outside mid to play in a forward pocket? And why on earth would he come?

Only played 3 games? Thatā€™s not good.