List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

There are lots of teams that can win a flag. Only one of them will.

Is it likely that we win it next year, no but itā€™s also not a ridiculous suggestion.

Iā€™ve been very critical of our list, recruitment and general running of the club for quite a long time, so am not one that defends the club at every opportunity, but i believe now we are headed in the right direction and have a pretty decent list, a good football dept, a stable club and that gives us a chance.

4 Likes

What do you think of this @Alan_Noonan_10 ?

On the interchange, I can handle it. Both of those two can play almost anywhere.

I just hate it when you set up to play a loose man. Loose men in defence develop as the game unfolds, but to base your whole strategy on it is brought undone pretty easily. Itā€™s a total softcock strategy.

4 Likes

That was way nicer than I was expecting.

2 Likes

Well, weā€™re 3 short, for a start. And it would be pretty arrogant to pass on pick 8 and 32ā€¦

2 Likes

I agree with the talent but again I think you underestimate how much change we had from midfield from 2017 > 2018, and how long it takes sides - all sides - to blood and integrate 3 or 4 mids.

Not the case for this year coming, though.

Gleeson will have bulked up in his time on the sidelines. Will not be the twig we remember. Another factor to make things complicated.

How did you feel about Collingwoodā€™s list early this year?

This has been floated beforeā€¦

In relation to Ambrose, he started forward, moved back. He has a great tank, can monster blokes in a tackle and can look after the kids.

Thoughts about him playing midfield?

As much as I like him, I just canā€™t see a role for him down back.

1 Like

No. Not enough agility or clean enough with ball use.

4 Likes

His role down back should be depth for Hurley and Hooker. Thatā€™s assuming Hurley is playing a more defensive role of course.

1 Like

Could see him used as a tagger. And certainly attacks ground balls like they said something distasteful about a close family member. Donā€™t think heā€™s got enough tricks or class for much more than a jobber role in there.

1 Like

Thereā€™s about 15 ways we could go with tall backs.
Hurley/Hooker/Francis is probably the best credentialled off this yearā€™s efforts, but Francis/Hurley/Ambrose could work, Hooker/Francis/Gleeson could work
Hurley/Hartley/Francis

Etc etc etc

1 Like

lol, god no. if there was one player on the list who is more an athlete than a footballer, its Patty Ambrose. Clearly works his @ss off and is a strong contributor to the team, but hes very limited with his talent. he would be a liability in the midfield

What about Gleeson?

He personally thinks his role is no longer kpd but on your DeGoeyā€™s and Caddyā€™s etc

But with the way Francis came on and the upside to intercept marking and his weapon kicking Iā€™m not sure Ambroseā€™s shut down game is enough

Ambrose should be trained as a tagger. Woosha doesnā€™t believe in the worth of taggers but; the top 4 teams all tag and also get tagged. Woosha is yet to prove he is the coach we hoped he would be.

2 Likes

Why? I think the list is plenty capable. Building consistently is what we need to do. I am not sure we have the coaching staff to win one though. Not saying we donā€™t but Iā€™m unsure.

I think the coaching staff need to build a no compromise attitude throughout the side. Loosing to easybeats is unexecptible, we need to smash these sides. We can win against sides we are not expected to beat. But then loose to a ā– ā– ā– ā–  side the next week. I donā€™t think it would matter what gun player we brought in, we would still loose to those sides. Itā€™s all about mindset and attitude.

Collingwood beat all the sides they where expected to beat and lost a lot of games to sides in the eight. And almost won the flag

2 Likes

One of Gleeson, Ridley or Redman should be training with the forwards this pre season to build our team flexibility to build on the versatility of Hooker, Brown, Hurley, Francis to switch mid game or match up dependent against teams with shorter forward lines.