List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Coniglio is the one. Haynes doesn’t play for us. Francis has him covered every day of the week.

Langford should be included as inside depth.

2 Likes

So what time do we start watching draft night(s)? Midway through the second night?

1 Like

That’s a good summary.
Personally I don’t see inside mid as a need at all.
Aside from the blokes who are going to be in most people’s best 22’s, we have Clarke, Mutch, Mynott and even Begley who would all be targeted at inside spots long term. They’re all 185cm +.
They won’t all make it, but if the club gets another inside mid in this draft, then they’re pretty much signalling that they’re giving up on one or all of those blokes as inside mids. Plus of the blokes above them in the pecking order, only Myers is likely to leave in the next year or two.

Small forward /outside mid we’ve got zero depth apart from Long if they keep him. There’s more reason to believe Long won’t make it in his role than the above blokes in theirs.
If there are only 3 list spots available i’d be getting 3 fast outside running types to fill those outside runner / wingman or small forward roles

8 Likes

Fair enough. I don’t rate him but I can see the logic behind keeping him and there is still hope he can make a big jump forward because it’s all in the head with him imo.

1 Like

Definitely Coniglio the priority, but Haynes is four years younger than Hooker so could play a role from 2020 in my view.

He’s a top flight VFL fullback, and quite competent coverage for the senior team. Not everyone is best 22. There is a spot there for him until such point as a couple of guys go passed him, or we trade him for something we need more. I’m not his biggest fan, but I can see the reasons for keeping him.

3 Likes

I think we need to pick up a couple of small forwards now.

10 Likes

I tend to agree regarding inside mids. When the heat was on we were pretty competitive on the inside against some very good teams. The thing that really hurt us was turnovers, and some of our ball use going inside forward 50. Having that player who can go to a stoppage and really impose their will (Cripps, Pendlebury, Kennedy etc) does help in crunch time though, and will always be a target area.
I will be interested to see who of the 1 year left on contract players signals that they may want out at the end of next year. Guys like Petracca, J Steven, Taranto, Brodie and B Crouch will all have one year to run on their contracts and may be worth a run at.

I think we are way down on fast dynamic small forwards. If either of Tippa or Raz get injured we are really lacking and quality. We should be targeting them and another developing ruckman in the draft.

5 Likes

Yep, small forwards and wingmen.

Benfti time.

7 Likes

Hepp, Shiel, Zerrett, Smith, Langford in the 22.
With guys like Clarke, Begley and mutch in the twos. That’s fine IMO.

Vs our outside mid stocks, Zaha and McGrath, with depth of… uuuhhhh… Jake Long
Or small forward, our coverage is non existent.

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if we took another ruck in the draft. Doubtful a quality tall makes it that far down the order. Plus I think what we’ll see is with the new mid season draft is that teams will be more willing to let some of these guys show how they compete against men in the VFL etc and target them mid year if promising

Yep. Target a speedy small (possibly state league, proven goalkicker) and 2 outside runners (preferably rangy types with good foot skills). I think that would round put our depth chart and provide some points of difference.

3 Likes

speed.

EXCITMENT.

This is what we need 2 of.

1 Like

And we do appear to be using the Cat B rookie list to try out ruck sized blokes.

Seems like a reasonable strategy.

Yep and rookies (Draper, Nyuon)

I don’t see a pressing need TBH. bellcho and Leunberger, McNernan after that then Draper. Lavender is a bit of a long shot TBH but who knows.

There is an Irish lad, Jordan Morrissey who we are targeting with a Catb rookie spot.

Jordan Morrissey Ireland/Country Carlow
20/02/1999 Height: 185cm Weight: 80kg

A medium forward who is an outstanding underage prodigy with Country Carlow. Progressed from Under-18 straight to the senior ranks and made a significant impact in an outstanding year for Carlow. Has speed, goal sense and is a natural leader. A very committed individual to his training and preparation, he is highly regarded in the Gaelic circles.

11 Likes

Is hepp B shown enough in the vfl, thoughts