List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

I think we can all agree that our 2018 list was beautifully ‘balanced’. For arguments sake I’m going to assume we will re-sign Hartley, Dea, Leuenberger and Baguley…and then also delist Long (seriously he’s been given long enough with zero output).

So that’s a loss of Goddard, Merrett, Green, Colyer and Long - a midfielder and 4 x quick winger/ small forward types.

We’ve already replaced Goddard with another elite midfielder in Shiel…tick. So I think we can all agree that we particularly need to address the replacement of the 3-4 wing/small forwards we have lost.

Draft Nick Hind to fill Colyers spot. And draft another 2-3 Willie Rioli/ Liam Ryan types.

Ps - crazy to think that Long might actually be given another year given the state of our list. I wouldn’t agree with it…but you can conceivably see the merit in keeping a player of his type given he is still young, he knows the game plan, and we now have zero depth in his position during a year where we don’t have the best draft position.

Hartley :writing_hand: 2019 :white_check_mark:

4 Likes

Hartley is a good backup. Glad we re-signed him for another year.

Dodoro has built a very balanced list its just up to the coaching staff to get the team motivated and consistently perform for the year.

8 Likes

With Baguley shifting to the rookie list, that does mean that we now have some choice regarding how we utilise our picks. One of those picks can be used on the rookie list if we wanted. Or we could use all 3 in the national draft.

We need one more ruckman on the list and a small fast crumbling forward. Most other positions we have adequate backup for.

Senior List -
‘INs’: Shiel, McKernan
‘OUTs’: Colyer, Goddard, Merrett, Green, Baguley *retained as rookie

There are our 3 open list spots for picks 34, 66 and 84.

Long & Dea still in limbo (Luey 1 year extension reportedly close, offer has been made). McNiece & Mynott the same from the rookies.

It seems odd to put Baguley on the rookie list if we aren’t going to roll will the 40senior-4rookie (+CatB rookies) combination.

Rookie List -
CatA

1. Baguley
  2. Draper

CatB -

1. Lavender
  2. Jordan Morrissey *potentially
2 Likes

We may be chasing someone out of contract as a DFA and that will tip Long/Dea out the door.

Good summary from AFL.com.au here:

Rookies going to be interesting with we do with Fletcher, McNiece is a handy backup for Saad/McKenna imo. Should get another year.

I note Alex Morgan has not resigned.

1 Like

With Leuy still around, why do we need another ruckman? We seem to have pretty good coverage.

1 Like

All I ask for is another Disco special at 34 ala Begley amd Guelfi. Be nice to get Mason and Hind too.

wasted selection by us

Just to put another food-for-thought idea out there…I don’t know why the AFL doesn’t allow trading of rookie picks.

The value might be small…but I think there might be some clubs willing to trade late draft picks for earlier positioning in the rookie draft…

They should just remove the rookie draft.
Does the pre-season draft still exist?

One draft and one list is all that’s needed. ■■■■■■■ stupid morons at the AFL want to ■■■■ around with stuff every year but don’t fix simple ■■■■ like this. ■■■■■■■ dumb ■■■■■■■.

10 Likes

Draft Nick Hind

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/news/7vfl-richmond-v-essendon-winning-goal-facebookfbdownnet/video/083acdb64a556317f57e2f9d92ca367b

1 Like

I really don’t know why I am defending the AFL, but these things once had a purpose. I find it funny that someone is complaining that they aren’t changing something, as I think they change too much too quickly.

They could leave the game alone and fix stuff like this instead.

Edit: Actually, I want to continue my rant…why the ■■■■ is the pre-season draft still given a different year to the National and rookie drafts? eg. Last year’s drafts…2017 National draft…2017 rookie draft…but 2018 Pre-season draft.
This is just a hangover from when the pre-season draft used to be in the new year isn’t it.
FFS…it’s on the same day as the rookie draft, yet somehow according to the morons at the AFL they are held in different years.

Anyway, in the last 4 years there have been 2 pre-season draft picks taken… both by FCFC!!! If that’s not enough proof that it’s a waste of time, what is?

Let’s hope we rate him higher than about 7 other clubs.

Levy is good backup but his body is very fragile.

he was, but if you look at our draft strike rate, weve done very well. cant win them all i guess

At the moment, given the position of the picks we’ve done pretty well out of that draft. Eades and Morgan were busts, Parish and Francis look like guns (but were high picks), Brown, Hartley and Walla were great value for their selections and Redman is the real wild card.

Overall, you’d take that talent every day of the week, although obviously having picks #5 and #6 helps!

5 Likes