List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

He looks fast running, and may be running fast up and down the field not doing much, and not really getting anywhere, but I barely recall many times this year he actually used that pace with the ball in hand, or infact I barely recall using his pace for any chase down tackles. He laid 3 tackles in the last 3 games, kicked 2 goals for the year, and whatever small pace advantage he held was more than offset by his constant fumbling and ability to disappear for large proportions of games. He was too often a low possession player but he had nowhere near the impact or skills say someone like Tippa could do and get away with it.

Fremantle is the place where we ship the guys we’re putting into contention for delisting for a veteran fund over the last decade or so it seems. I think his best game this year was against Hawthorn and the rest of the year was pretty glum, so good on him for somehow getting a 3 year contract.

3 Likes

I’m sure opposition coaches are sleeping easier now knowing speed demons Green and Colyer won’t be terrorizing them anymore.

1 Like

I thought he only got a 2 year contract with Freo?

Edit: there you go… it is 3 years. Colyer has done very well with that

Oh I agree he was getting games he shouldn’t have, and that he didn’t do a hell of a lot in those games. Also agree he’s better off at Freo, because he wouldn’t be in our best 22 next year and beyond. I merely commented on his pace. And all the numbers the club have say he was still in the quickest handful of players we had. Which I’m guessing is probably why Freo wanted him. It sure as shitt wasn’t for his clean ball handling skills.

2 Likes

Possibly when he didn’t have the ball (or in time trials), but when in possession he looked noticeably slower than in previous years (and when compared to our other speedsters). Maybe it was just his decision making that was making him appear slower with ball in hand.

Colyer was injured for half a year, suspended for a year, and then injured for another half a year. A lack of continuity has meant he’s lost form, not pace

4 Likes

Assuming he can have an injury free run from here it will be interesting to see how he goes. He could still bounce back to his early 2015 form. I personally hope he does.

Edit: But still gets an attack of the fumbles in any games involving Essendon

1 Like

There were times that he should have just put on the burners and run past his opponent, but he stopped, went back onto his right, got hurried and either lost the ball or kicked ineffectively.

2 Likes

I hope that next time we play Freo, he’s best on ground and we win by ten goals

1 Like

Agree with that. Was looking great in first half of 2015 before injury, then 2016 happened, was serviceable in 2017, think it was always going to be tough for the suspended players to find their groove again, especially ones that were injured prior to the bans. Then Colyer hurts his foot last pre season & doesn’t have surgery until much later in pre season meaning he starts way behind the eight ball when he comes back. I still think we played him at AFL level too early, only one full VFL game and a few games where he was heavily managed. Don’t think he had a run at it post 2015 injury. I hope he gets it back though, deserves to have a strong finish to his career. Is a ripping bloke and despite his colours next year will always be a Bomber.

P.S. did he qualify for life membership this year?

3 Likes

Not as an auto qualification (10 years on list or 150 games or premiership)
He was on the list 9 years - 2010 to 2018 inclusive, only played 87

Yes, but that sort of comment (and Crazy’s) just highlight that people do not realise what players actually do.

A game goes for about 100 minutes
An average player plays about 80% of that
And has about 15 touches, which take the ball (either run or kicked forward) about 250m
But runs about 14km, total

So that average player has been in possession of the ball for - maybe - a minute, in which time they’ve run the ball probably 100m, and kicked it forward another 150m.
So they’ve been on the field without the ball for another 79 minutes. In which time they’ve covered 13.9km

The vast majority of running is done without the ball.

I reckon the best thing you can do to properly understand all of that is watch a game from the top tier at Etihad and pick a player to watch. Preferably a flanker or outside type. And just ignore the contest and watch that one guy.

4 Likes

Playing the man and not the ball

Yeah, nah.

I understand perfectly well how much running is done without the ball (other players who aren’t Colyer do it too). He simply used to be faster and when he had it. Perhaps his endurance has suffered with recent injuries and he was tired quite often when he got the ball.

Perhaps he was instructed to slow down a little with the ball and not sacrifice disposal accuracy for speed, but didn’t quite nail it?

Possibly, that was certainly what he was doing in his great patch of games back before the suspension.

The club in its generosity should have GIVEN all the banned players life membership.

Except the GPS doesn’t agree with you…

He also added another trick to his 2018 football tool kit, an ability to completely run past the ball, as in completely miss touching the pill. Perhaps it was a problem with his vision. Played a decent game against the Roos, not outstanding, but a decent contribution.

3 Likes