List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Walla is top of that list. Then the 3 you mentioned. Just in my opinion. The way i like to assess guys is what they’d be worth on the open market. Clubs would jump over each other to get Walla but the others aren’t in that league yet.

1 Like

Walla is also far more critical to the side.

Would be very dificult replacing him, where as we have lots of midfield depth.

1 Like

He’s also originally from Victoria, so that probably helped. And, speaking generally, who wouldn’t grab the chance to get in the AFL system again.

Most important for mine is Francis. Oozes talent and even though he’s stated it was a mistake to seek a trade back to Adelaide the go home factor for Adelaide boys is there.
He will form the backline for the next ten years and based on his last few games his form this year should kick on. He will have interest from other clubs, no doubt especially Adelaide when they realise how much they farcked up not taking him. On our list there’s not many more natural footballers as Francis.

Next is Draper. This kid will be a star I reckon and he could be our main ruckman for the next 10 years. Also the go home factor worries me as it does with Orazio, for no reason other than Adelaide boys seem to want to go back to Adelaide. Family reason I guess cause it’s not for the town.

Walla ain’t going anywhere, clubs may come and ask bit he’ll stay put.

Parish lastly but for no real reason. I rate him highly and in his first year he showed how much inside ball he could dish out. Hope he signs on quickly, we have such a great young list, and mixed in with our seasoned “veterans” who arnt really veterans we’ve got some amazingly great years ahead .

Enjoy!

1 Like

Because they are not used to amenities such a drinkable tap water and electricity which are to be had in Melbourne!!

2 Likes

Priorities are Francis and Draper. Francis due to his talent and the age of Hooker and Hurley. Draper because Jacobs could be fading, and if Draper shows a lot Adelaide might come calling with a best 22 position on offer. And again, with Belly’s age we really need a replacement to follow through behind him, losing Draper would hurt.

Walla would suck, but I think we could work around his loss. Not to say it wouldn’t hurt, but the cost in draft picks/trades wouldn’t be anywhere near the cost I could see Francis and Draper replacements being.

1 Like

And Francis isn’t from Adelaide, he’s from the Riverland.

Crows have Reilly O’Brien pressing hard for Jacobs spot. Was article recently with Jacobs saying welcomes it but not ready to give it up yet

Comment about drinkable water still applies.

This was originally going into the Ham thread, but this seems the appropriate place.

The way I see it, the best 22 has no obvious holes. There’s depth in each role across the ground, so we can cover most issues throughout the season with the best 30 on the list. Our age demographic has us set for 5 years of minimal retirements.

Most of our improvement over the next 5 years will come from natural development of the players we already have. With our strong 21-25 group dominating the best 22, it will become very difficult for a new draftee to come in and improve the team, especially with the loss of first round picks. Any kid would need to rely on talent alone as they won’t have an afl physique.

The ways Dodoro can strengthen our premiership chances are to primarily hold the list together, but also to bring in outside talent and finally to draft players that are talented enough to break into the 22. We’ve little salary cap or draft currency left, so we’re probably finished with major trades.

So drafting… we don’t need role players, they wouldn’t have the talent to compete against the list we have, so would never play a game. No point. The only type of draftee that can make our team better within the 5 year period of our window is one who bashes down the door through sheer talent. We’re talking a player that becomes best 22 in a strong team within 2-3 years of being drafted, without using a first round pick. Think a Zac Merrett level of drafting brilliance.

That’s the context I view the 2018 draftees. It’s the same situation over the next 2 drafts. It’s a search for raw talent that can be harnessed in time to be part of a premiership.

If we draft kids and they don’t develop as hoped, then it hasn’t made a difference to our premiership chances. But if one of the long shots pay off, it could be spectacular.

3 Likes

They were running the same line last year.
I know he’s a ruck, but two games in four years (both in 2016!) and out of contract at the end of this year…Adelaide would be doing very well to keep him.

Pretty well summed it up. We are in good shape.

I wouldn’t mind adding a key position defender to start developing.

We have Hartley and Zerk and then a bunch third talls.

1 Like

If we only focus on the next 5 seasons, a KPD draftee isn’t likely to impact. That’s a hole covered by a free agent if really necessary.

2 x Fletchers in the pipeline for the long term, fingers crossed they are good enough.

1 Like

And Gown is proven in defence and attack. They might have hedged their bets with him so he can fill a roll at either end when the time comes.

My thoughts on Gown is he’s going to take 3 years to be physically ready for senior level, so timing is ok. Personality seems to be the risk that held other clubs off. If he can mature into a disciplined footballer, could be important. Risk is he never gets his head in the right space. Fully support giving him the chance.

1 Like

I didn’t know he had issues with professionalism. I agree he will take 2-3 years. Maybe slot in when Hooker is done. He looks a pretty talented player.

It’s my vague, long distance impression, reinforced by @fogdog comment. But he’s not even 20 yet, he has time to work it out. Also I could be completely and utterly wrong about what makes him tick. Just makes sense on why he slipped to a late pick after being the dominant 18yr old KPF.

2 Likes

Eeehhhh, not sure of that.
Every side, whether terrible, middling or great, has role players.
The great sides cover their insufficiencies. (Think Dean Wallis 1993 or 2000).
The bad ones don’t. (Think Dean wallis the other 29 years of his career).

If Hooker blew out a knee in round 20, and with no first rounder. (And assuming Ambrose/Hartley are still in their current no-man’s land).
You bet your sweet bippy we’d be chasing a cheap role player to play that spot!
Probably only for a year or two, until Zerk really comes on stream. But still.

I agree the list looks good. But there still is 5 or 6 guys who are only really role players.

He was never the dominant 18 yr old KPF. He had a good few weeks at the end of the season. He didn’t even get an invite to the national draft combine. He went through the state combine. He is a kid with a bit of talent that we took a speculative shot on at pick 60.

6 Likes

We’re pretty close on this one. I think role players are necessary, ideally as depth. We’ve got a good complement of senior players that can slot into each role and be serviceable. If we end up with Hooker going down and Zerk-Thatcher isn’t quite ready to step up, a draftee isn’t going to be ready any faster.

Ironically, Sean Gregory is probably one of the best options to bring in if we did need that role filled.