List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

everyone from south australia that i know, has wanted to get out of there asap.

2 Likes

Move along sac, nothing to see.

Learn to communicate what is most likely a simple idea effectively.

I think he meant ā€œIā€™ll be surprised if at least one of them doesnā€™t leaveā€

1 Like

And I fully expect all 3 to be on our list next year. Unless someone knows something I donā€™t?

They are all off contract, have loads of potential and will probably be chased by other clubs.
Itā€™s a good position for us to have promising youngsters like these guys, but there might be clubs who can sway them with more opportunity in the short term.

Iā€™m not concerned because I know nothing. But I hope they are signed up by mid year

They canā€™t grasp that logic, itā€™s just too much to bear.

Iā€™d be happy if we traded players in a calculated manner, rather than the recent strategy known as ā€œoh ā– ā– ā– ā–  he demanded a trade to Port.ā€

Trading players can be a good thing for list management, but only if you control the game, which we recently have not.

2 Likes

Clubs chase players all the time. They seldom get them. Who outside of Morgan have we lost in recent years?

Hibberd, Ryder, Crameri, Melkshamā€¦

[quote=ā€œAnts, post:3511, topic:10164ā€]
Clubs chase players all the time. They seldom get them. Who outside of Morgan have we lost in recent years?

We now have fringe players that are of AFL standard or have shown potential to be so, do you think our young talent is immune to being poached ?

Canā€™t think of any extenuating circumstances, either.

Last 2 years weā€™ve chased and got 4 good players. Donā€™t know how much more people can ask for.

To get back to the gist of the discussion.

I donā€™t think weā€™re immune to poaching. At all.

But the last 2 years have resulted in Alex Morgan vs Shiel, Saad, Stringer and Smith.
Itā€™s stacked outrageously in our favour since we cleared the Saga, cleared the Saga TPP whack and settled on a coach.

And I donā€™t see any reason to expect it to be Port or Adelaide doing the chasing. Actually Iā€™d be shocked if we lost anyone to Port, theyā€™re at 100% of the cap and going nowhere. Adelaide slightly less unlikely, butā€¦ why would they be likely?

1 Like

During the saga and none of those you mentioned were in a similar position to those named are in now.

Most of the time teams donā€™t get those players. Especially if the players can see a path into the best 22.

Youā€™re also inflating what the valuation of those players would be.

Well Iā€™m glad we are finally at the crux of the matter, Iā€™m just not sure why you donā€™t rate Zerk, Redman and Drapes good enough to be pursued by other clubsā€¦the talent is obvious.

[quote=ā€œAnts, post:3517, topic:10164, full:trueā€]

During the saga and none of those you mentioned were in a similar position to those named are in now.

You asked a question. I gave an answer

Trade HQ: St Kilda interest in rookie ruckman Sam Draper opens door for Paddy Ryderā€™s Essendon return

Brendon Goddard and Jon Ralph , Herald Sun

July 2, 2019 6:00am

Itā€™s time to launch operation ā€˜free Jake Stringerā€™. Because if Essendon can pull it off, they have what it takes to compete with the top sides in the competition for years to come.

I like the nucleus of this group. And despite some struggles this year, I think the best way for them to get the maximum results is by adding another key forward who is going to command a little more respect from the opposition

Shaun McKernan and Mitch Brown are great role players but dropping someone like Jon Patton into the Bombersā€™ forward line would change the entire dynamic.

That would allow Stringer to take the third best defender, making him an absolutely brutal match-up for the opposition.

With his agility and ability to pinch hit in the midfield, he can be Essendonā€™s version of Dustin Martin.

Essendon rookie ruckman Sam Draper has attracted interest from St Kilda. Picture: AAP/ Chris Eastman.

With attention focused elsewhere, that would make the clubā€™s elite small forwards in Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Orazio Fantasia even more dangerous.

The other area that needs to be addressed is finding someone to play that inside midfielder role. The Bombers have been searching for this since Jobe Watson retired.

Dylan Shiel is a solid clearance player but what they really need is a bull who is going to extract the footy from the tightest contests.

The current list has a great mix of youth and experience but is lacking a little in the 22-24 age bracket. Ideally, their inside midfielder targets would fall in this age range.

Adding Jon Patton would allow Essendon to free up Jake Stringer. Picture: AAP Image/David Moir.

There is speculation [my old teammate Sam Draper has a monster offer on the table], to go to St Kilda.

He is a ripper kid who works extremely hard and the Bombers would be disappointed to lose him.

But if a rival is going to offer that sort of money, there isnā€™t much they can do. It would leave a big hole in the clubā€™s long-term ruck plans though.

Could a rival tempt Aaron Francis with the promise of a regular position? Picture: AAP Image/Julian Smith.

JON RALPH BREAKS DOWN ESSENDONā€™S BIGGEST TRADE QUESTIONS

THREE BOMBERS RIVAL RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING:

Sam Draper

Why is St Kilda chasing Sam Draper so hard? Consider two of his four VFL games before an ACL rupture ā€” 22 possessions and 39 hit-outs in Round 1 against Frankston (194 ranking points) and 20 touches and 47 hit-outs against Collingwood (182 ranking points). At only 20. No wonder St Kilda is throwing a bundle of cash at him.

Aaron Francis

Francis has come a long way since his aborted trade, [said to be happy at Essendon ]and loving Victoria. But he is out of contract and yet to nail down a concrete position. He has only two goals as a forward and often squeezed out of the backline in nine games this year.

Darcy Parish

Geelong was one of his early suitors after falling out of the side but he has played 13 games and put together five excellent weeks, [declaring he wants to stay] If his contract drifts rivals will still come hard but the Dons would be confident they can keep him.

Our of favour at Port Adelaide, would Paddy Ryder be tempted to finish his career back at Essendon? Picture: Wayne Ludbey.

THREE PLAYERS BOMBERS RECRUITERS ARE WATCHING

Patrick Ryder

If not Patrick Ryder, [who do the Dons target to strengthen their ruck deficiencies, Zak Clarke not the answer and Sam Draper possibly heading to the Saints? Tom Bellchambers is excellent but injury-prone so they must target cover, whether its ex-Don Ryder, Sam Jacobs or one of the younger brigade like Darcy Cameron or Wylie Buzza.

Ryan Abbott

Is a player like Abbott, a mature-aged ready-to-go ruckman, attractive to clubs looking for backup? Six of his nine VFL games this year have been over 100 ranking points, but he has played only one AFL game. Might even get an AFL recall this week. How do the Dons get another ruck without giving up much?

Jack Martin

To be honest the Dons wonā€™t be big trade players. On this list[ because the Dons were so keen on him last year] but told Martin they couldnā€™t get the deal done because of other balls in the air. Donā€™t have a first-rounder so would need to use a future pick. Seems less likely.

Jack Martinā€™s attacking prowess would be a good fit at Essendon. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos/Getty Images.

RATE THE 2018 TRADE PERIOD

7/10

You can say what you like about whether Dylan Shiel has won enough matches yet but Essendon went out and got their man when everyone else wanted him. Right now the price for that is 2018ā€™s pick 9 (Jye Caldwell) as well as their first-rounder this year (currently pick 9), with the GWS second-rounder this year back (currently 33). So itā€™s plenty to give, but at his best heā€™s exactly what they need in the midfield. Then the Dons let Travis Colyer go for a future fourth-round pick that in an ideal world might be used if someone like father-son Mason Fletcher deserved recruiting further down the draft. As a collective two years of trading, they have nailed Devon Smith, Adam Saad, Jake Stringer and Shiel, proving that they have got rid of perceptions they are hard to trade with. Also picked up Irving Mosquito with pick 38 and Noah Gown with a late pick in the draft plus Brayden Ham, who has already debuted.

WHY CHAMPION DATA LIKES THE BOMBERS:

The Bombers have so much talent under the age of 25, with 8 players in this age group rating elite or above average ā€” the equal second most of any side

5 Likes

I donā€™t mind the Patton idea. His health is a concern in terms of multiple ACL injuries, but heā€™s the type of hulking forward presence we need. Hooker provides that when he down there, but heā€™;s still far too important in defence. The backline is set, Iā€™m not messing with it. A 2-2-2 forward line (2 talls, 2 mid size, 2 smalls) of:

Talls : Daniher, Patton
Mid: Laverde, Stringer
Small: Raz, Walla

is pretty nice looking to me! What could you get him for, a 2nd-3rd round pick? worth a go. He can be the bruiser close to goal and allow Daniher to roam. I like that. Hopefully Draper stays, we re-contract Francis and Parish. The list looks good enough, it just needs to be better used in better system, and we need to stay fit.

He would have to be dirt cheap. you wouldnt go anything higher than a 3rd rounder considering his injury history

Youā€™d definitely have to cough up more than a 3rd rounder. Thereā€™s a few clubs interested in him too. If you could get him for an early second round pick heā€™d be worth it.