List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

You’re forgetting Laverde, Langford, Ambrose and Parish also out of that team.

And of course Draper

Ahm…

Yeah, nah.
They were about 6-7 off full strength and we were 3-4.

You’re right about needing to play more kids BUT that’s not about one week or another. That’s because we’re playing the 3rd or 4th or 5th oldest side every week, and we’re about mid pack.

Langford
Redman
Mutch
Begley
Francis
Are guys we need to see more of, for the medium term health of the list.

1 Like

I feel if we could nab a gun mid in the draft and another quality mid in a trade, we could be a solid team. Our backline has performed OK given its been pumped in their so much every game. And our forwardline is up their with the most dangerous. And I don’t care what anyone says Hooker needs to go back!!!

I am leaning towards a prune of the ‘older depth’:

• Hocking
  • Bird
  • Stanton
  • Kelly
  • Howlett
    (Keep Watson and Baguley unless they decide for some reason that they can’t go around again)

Rookie list pruned:

• Eades
  • Long
  • McKernan (take the risk of Draper as third ruck option, and draft a younger version of McKernan)

Survivors:

• McNiece (only if he remains on the Rookie B list)
  • Morgan and Jerrett (cut if the above numbers are not enough…I still dream of a day when the running ability of these players sees them find a place in AFL football…would only be 1 year contracts)

I reckon Smack will be gone as well, especially if Draper continues to develop

Because if you’re like me and take the view that we are a 7th to 10th level team we shouldn’t have a 33 year old in our best 22. They should be moved on

hartley hurley bags mcg gleeson ambrose

zerret hepp parish mckenna coyler goddard

tippa fanta JD green hooker langford

redman begely mutch ridley morgan draper laverde

Like to see on our list next year, probably missed someone.

1 Like

I don’t think it’d be batshit crazy to keep Kelly. He’s playing good footy and still offers more than his younger counterparts. Maybe just one more year if the 2nd half of this season shows that we’re good enough to push for top 4. If not, Gleeson can take his spot, anyway. Not Dea, I can’t see him reaching Kelly’s level - he’s a bona-fide defender, anyway.

Too much talk of who people want to cut without saying how you would replace the list spots.

Do we really give up on 2nd year players who may take time just so we can use pick 80+ in the draft, or players who have tried and failed at other clubs?

6 Likes

That’s just absurd. Your best 22 is exactly that. Your BEST 22. Age has nothing to do with it. You might think that for development purposes it should be different, but that is a completely different argument. Your best is your best. that’s it.

11 Likes

4-5 national draft picks on kids
1-2 free agents
1-2 mature agers from state leagues
1-2 cheap trades

We effectively did 9 main list spots this year (McGrath Begley Ridley Mutch Clarke as draftees, Green as a FA, Stewart as a cheap trade, Dea as a delisted FA, McKenna as a rookie upgrade)

plus Kelly as DFA

Was the year before.

Pretty sure Kelly was a top-up the year before, just like Dea.

1 Like

I thought he was a normal FA but you might well be right… so 10 main list changes
But no way we can do 7 this year…

Someone made mention in the father-son thread, of the idea that we put all our money on Mason Fletcher in the 2018 draft.

Trade our 2018 first round pick, for another first round pick this year.

Which gives us 8 first round picks in 4 years.

If there are more KPP’s available this draft, we need to invest.

Or even trade this year’s and next year’s first round pick for no. 1 or no. 2 so we can take the best Key Forward in the draft.

…and if it turns out he’s a gun, and we can’t afford him with our other picks, that’ll be really really great.

1 Like

Or if he turns out to be another KAV, and his form as a 17 yr old is as good as he gets. That’d be pretty good too …

1 Like

???
Our weakest area is midfield

In the next year or two we lose our four most experienced playersers, all midfielders/half backs

We’ve got a decent forward line and a decent backline plus 2 other tall forward and 2 other tall back options on the list

And… you want the club to throw 2 x first rounders at a tall???

3 Likes