List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Pretty much everyone who criticised Knights?

You don’t have to have a plethora of fast players, if you have highly skilled ones (example 1: Hawthorn. example 2: Geelong). But you need one or two. However, having a plethora of fast players can be useful.

As someone said earlier in the thread, no point making mass changes unless we have something of worth to replace it with.

For any draft watchers, is there much depth in this years draft? Heard Shifter Sheehan say(like he seems to say every second year) that next years draft runs a lot deeper than this years.

If you think about the game of footy, any given player is lucky to be touching the ball for 3 or 4 minutes a match. That’s the time when the skill comes into it. The other 116-117 minutes you’re running to position. That’s when speed, and fitness comes to the fore.

2 Likes

Wow. What an interesting perspective. Thank you, Henry.

That’s not Henry… it’s his pills.

On a more important matter, Luke Davies Uniacke… that’s who we want.

1 Like

And to get the ball to guys on the outside you need players with strength.

That’s why we need a Jobe replacement, a Myers and Hocking upgrade.

And just some pure ready made silk, if we can lure someone of note.

Hopefully the strength comes from Langford/Begley/Clarke/Mutch.

1 Like

This is absolutely our most pressing need

Hooper?

They say next year’s draft is deeper every year

2 Likes

If you’re going to have unskilled footballers, they may as well be fast

1 Like

Geelong spent a zillion on Dangerfield who is… slow, I guess.

You’d never call Dangerfield slow. Not that slippery speed like Raz or Trav, but gets across the ground PDQ.

He’s one of the quickest players in the AFL.

2 Likes

So? Doesn’t change my argument at all.

Seb Ross would be considered slow in a race, but he covers the field quickly enough. Knowing where the ball’s going to go covers a multitude of pace sins.

I’d love to pinch him from St Kilda but not at all likely.

1 Like

As I expect a clear out of older mids (Hocking, Bird, Stanton etc) at the end of 2017, I think the experimentation in search of inside mids needs to be extreme from 2018…just cycle multiple young players through clearance situations in the VFL and see who stands up…

So Clarke is already getting this treatment, but I want the same to happen with Begley…

I have some concern about Mutch’s pace, so I want to see him tried inside as well…

If Laverde and Francis can get them their bodies right, they can get longer stints in there as well.

Ridley was viewed as having midfield potential? Sounds a bit unorthodox to me, but once his back is right, after another preseason, let’s cautiously test this theory…

Basically I want to see a VFL clearance midfield that are all under about 22 yrs old. Don’t care if we lose regularly at that level.

How about we GO AFTER Seb Ross. Get him for our midfield, he is going to be a star in the not too distant future.

Make him an offer before he is offered a contract by Saint Kilda.

We had our chance. We picked Kav.

2 Likes

Plenty on here wanted Seb Ross if I recall correctly.

Kicking is pretty horrendous

1 Like

iirc Saints we offering Seb Ross as a part of the Carlilse trade.