List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Hard to criticise anything if we win a flag I guess…

We may win the 2017 flag, but more importantly, are we on track for a deep finals run in 2018? We really need to finish top 4 to have a chance.

I get your point but I find it very difficult to criticise the coaches on those decisions.Stanton had to be given first chance because firstly he was a returning player and for public perception we had to include as many of the returning players as possible, and secondly because he’s done the job before. Whether it’s right or wrong I can’t blame Woosha for making that call. I do give him credit for sticking to his principals though and having the returning players that aren’t up to the level playing in the reserves. In an ideal world we would have young kids filling those places on our roster but it’s not a perfect world. The wealth of experience those guys have would no doubt be rubbing off on our young draftees playing in the VFL.

Langers is in my opinion tracking well. He’s in the unfortunate position that he is in the back of a long line of midfielders that want a spot in the senior side and he’s basically a newbie. We all tend to forget that he’s played the majority of his career as a forward. Considering we are stacked for forwards and he has shown a great deal as a mid I think it makes perfect sense that he does his apprenticeship in the VFL.

I think Woosha has done pretty well with the way he’s managed the match day team. We have a great blend of extremely talented kids and also a handful of seasoned veterans to lead by example.

The real questions are actually going to be next year if and when we lose some of the experienced guys. I have no doubt that some of the young brigade will continue to grow because they have already proven themselves at the top level.

The questions will come from the ability of Langford, Laverde, Begley and Parish to take the next step and become genuine AFL players. Three of those four will have done a very good apprenticeship and Woosha will give them an opportunity to carve out a name for themselves. Some will make it and maybe some won’t.

2 Likes

I just can’t agree with that
There’s merit in the argument that he was the best choice, but no-one 30+ should have a guarantee. Ever. Let alone after a year off. Time and tide…

You want competition for spots. It’s called depth!

And someone having a guaranteed spot creates competition because…

I responded to your post in which you suggested that Stanton and others were given priority over guys like Langford. Neither are playing in the team and both need to improve to get back in. That’s competition for spots.

Only our high performing players have been safe this year. Our more fringe players have alternated between VFL and AFL according to form and structures.

I personally believe it’s creating a clearly defined pathway to the team and everyone is being treated on there merits. That’s what you want at a club.

1 Like

I think the season has sorted out who’s in the best 22/25 despite the bullshit games being handed out in the first 4-6 weeks. Not because of it.

1 Like

I agree.

Woosha has been refining it as he goes and he’s worked out who is prepared to commit to his game plan. I would imagine there will be very few changes from here on out. Green may come back in and that’s about it.

I’m fine with that though. If I’m somebody sweating it out in the VFL while the seniors are playing finals then I’m thinking I better have a big preseason.

This year was always a development year and next year is when we will really start to take shape.

I just don’t see how you can build a strong culture at a footy club by putting these players through the wringer, them staying loyal and then starting the season playing a bunch of kids ahead of them.

Anyone would think we played a team of lepers in the first 6 weeks. Fact remains that if the kids were better options than Howlett and Stanton then they would be playing better in the VFL. But there ñot, because on merit those blokes are outplaying Langford, Begley etc.

If Stanton was sub 30 he would be playing. Now. But he isn’t so he is paying the price. Let’s not pretend we weren’t playing well because we had some older players playing. We were doing alright and they were contributing.

HAP and co you really are beating a dead horse. I see some people complain that Woosha isn’t getting the team emotionally right for games we should win; meanwhile I see others criticise selections that were made to ensure the fabric and confidence in the footy club weren’t destroyed.

Seriously!

Football culture will inevitably overcome selection differences. If you don’t get that right then you are nowhere. And if anyone thinks playing all the kids ahead of club stalwarts at the start of the year in 2017 is better for culture then I challenge their understanding of basic human psyche.

1 Like

always has to be a what can you post police.

2 Likes

Hard to watch Curnow doing really well and Francis not even getting a game. Did we fark that up?

I am not sure about Stewart still. Would have been great to have a 3rd tall like Curnow in the forward line.

We were hoping Langford or Laverde be that 3rd tall forward. Then Francis, but it seems he has gone back to the backline and the other 2 are struggling so far to cement a spot.

From last year’s draft Witherden doing well. We could have picked him. I remember he was in consideration for our 2nd round pick and we selected Ridley. If Francis or Ambrose is that 3rd tall defender then where does Ridley fit in?

Not really sure if we nailed these two selections.

Yeah, our forwardline is a huge concern.

2 Likes

Holy ■■■■. You just questioned Francis!

1 Like

I would be seriously disappointed if most of those guys came back from their year out and sooked up at playing VFL. Especially given so many of them missed big chunks of 2015 too.

I’ll say it again, guaranteeing ANYONE games is the wrong message.

1 Like

Contemplating missed draftpicks in hindsight will drive anyone crazy, look at the positives and start considering that we may be finals bound…we are going alright.

Gues we’ll have to wait and see. Let’s take this up in three years

1 Like

McGrath had a poor preseason but I’m glad Woosha had the courage to pick him.

Was he nominated for the rising star in the first couple of rounds?

Curnow was practically tanking to get to carlton.

2 Likes

Drink driving is a sure way to get to Carlton