List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Don’t discount the bonds these players have and the desire for them to play together.

Even walkuo starts like Heppell and Hurley would be significantly impacted by the selection or non selection of their fellow suspended teammates.

I am talking about the collective. Not individuals.

Against the crows. Had 28 touches for memory.

For a start Picking the pick 1 kid should be a no-brainer for the coach of the previous spoon side.

Secondly, If Worsfold ever wavered over the “courage” to pick a kid over… struggling to think of which other back pocket we even had fit…Dea? then he should find alternative employment.

It’s his job. He can cope.

Just as Hocking and Stanton and whoever can cope with playing VFL when the form isn’t there. I doubt any one of them would want freebies or feel like they weren’t contributing.

1 Like

I have washed my hands with soap for typing bad things about Francis. :grinning:

Woosha is short sighted though. With Ambrose and Brown injured, it was the peferct opportunity to play Francis as the 3rd tall defender.

Watching Brown and Waite mark everything was a clear indication we need that 3rd tall defender. Play him.

If Howlett was getting games early in the season, it was a perfect opportunity to play Begley. He has missed that opportunity.

Langford has gone back and performed consistently at a high standard in the VFL. Why would you leave him there and let him get used to lack of intensity. Why would you play Bird ahead of him.

If it is a player like Morgen who hasn’t shown any potential in the VFL, it would be hard to play him. But guys who performed or shown huge potential have been missed.

He took that opportunity with McGrath. Even after quiet games he was given chances. Which is what we want with these other youngsters ae well.

1 Like

The Langford does not need to get used to lack of intensity.

2 Likes

Except Francis is not that tall at 1.93, same as Hurls. Waite is a little bigger at 194, but Ben Brown is 2 m and Fletcher type arms.

Ben Brown had a ripper game, and perhaps only Fletch at his best would have spoiled his day, though Paddy Amrose has consistently made these tall Monsters earn every kick. Not sure this will be the Francis game, more like an attacking back an like Hurley.

If our ruck stocks need bolstering Ty Vickery may be on the market.

You need to put in a crazy eyes emoji so people know when it’s a joke. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

For purely ruck work I’d rather pick up Tippet and let the Swans pay most of his salary - and that’s saying more about Vickery than him.

I think Bell’s been a revelation this year. He’s far exceeded my expectations. Lueys a very handy back up. And from all reports Draper’s coming along well.
I don’t think it’s an area of weakness like it looked like earlier in the year.

Haven’t you read the news? We might get a 2nd round draft choice for taking him.

Comes with a Bonus Jake King for when things don’t go his way.

http://i.imgur.com/7F4118c.gif

Francis won’t play seniors again until he can last a whole game. He has the talent, but not the fitness. End of story.

Given their age I’d really like to have a decent crack next year before Jobe and BJ finish up. Martin, Hopper, Kelly, Jones. All fantastic targets that given our history of recruitment we will probably miss out on. Another couple of names we should consider are possibly from left field.
Ablett- not sure that Geelong can get the deal done. Given our location at Tullamarine (Kelly does the drive up the highway daily) I wonder if we could have a crack considering he wants to move back for family reasons. Sure he’s 34 but he’s still elite and would certainly be an asset as HFF. May cost us our first round pick however.
Rioli- supported us as a kid. Hawks have history of offloading aging stars cheap. May cost us 4th round pick so would not be too much risk.
Both players have huge injury histories. EFC has shown itself to be elite at managing players though.
Our list has great depth. But we lack match winners. Ablett for 12-14 games might push us toward top 4 and give guys like Jobe and BJ a last ditch finals crack.

You’re on drugz.

13 Likes

Have we not learned anything from the past about topping up our list with players in the twilights of their careers. We need young talented footballers that will fit our current age demographic.

3 Likes

If we cant entice Hopper, find the next Powell Pepper with our first and the next best mid with our second.
Give the halfbacks a pass this draft.

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen, Worpel is a bit of a manchild who keeps trying fend-offs and his kicking looks a bit iffy…so I think he is what you seek.

1 Like

Are Matthew Allen and Justin Murphy available?

The only way is up!