List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Don’t think we can get rid of Looney just yet. Draper still a bit away and Looney is still a AFL standard ruck and would have to best the best backup ruck in the comp I’d think

4 Likes

There hasn’t been many debuts however the following players have all played less than 50 games.

McGrath
McKenna
Hartley
Parish
Stewart
Tippa
Langford
Laverde
Francis
Fantasia

We’ve gotten games into our kids. Most weeks has seen 8 of them play at anyone time.

3 Likes

He might be getting on but i would like to grab Goldstein from Norf.

Goldstein is wrong age profile, too expensive and not what we need.

1 Like

Still contracted for another 1 or 2 years on $700k plus. No thanks. North would want a decent pick for him also

What do you mean by a significant figure??? And can he live a couple of states away without more personal problems.

Wouldn’t go anywhere near flicking Dea or Loony. Both great depth and not as far from the 22 as people suggest. I actually rate Dea a fair bit.

8 Likes

Dea is really solid depth. Even that is underselling him a bit. I would have no problem with him replacing mckenna in the backline, and pushing connor up into the midfield to take colyers spot

5 Likes

Yep. I think he has that rough as guts/unsexy look/feel about him but he is better than he seems IMO. Takes a very good grab for his size, and is a decent enough kick. Probably just knock him in that he’s not super quick enough to provide great rebound (but still has the balls to take the game on) and is surprisingly/disappointingly poor on a good small fwd.

1 Like

I don’t mean anything, that was all quotes from the linked article. It was saying Bennell mentored him.

1 Like

Pretty sure Dea is contracted for 2018 too isn’t he?

I have questioned delisting 10 players. That is partly though due to what I’m reading on this year’s draft (that it is shallow), and also that I’m only referencing senior list players.

I also believe you need some depth, and question letting players in the best 22 go. I would be surprised if Watson and Kelly both are pushed (if they choose to go that’s another thing) as they’re both best 22. Myers is contracted. Dea is contracted. We almost certainly need to keep one of Hocking, Bird and Howlett, and my preference would be Bird. We almost certainly need to keep one of McKernan and Leuy, and arguably both unless we’re getting a ruck cheap ala Stewart.

Ironically, you don’t have Morgan on that list and I’d consider him to be on thin ice.

So really, I look at your list and find the idea of even losing 9 senior listed players pretty dubious. If the draft is weak, its also likely we don’t want to delist 9 senior list players either.

Yep.

I wouldn’t be delisting Loony,Bird or Dea. The rest yep

1 Like

I think I prefer Howlett over Bird, if it comes down to that…just think he has a little more polish.

Trade or Delist

Yep no way Dea gets delisted

Clubs need depth
Dea in my opinion is very very handy depth

3 Likes

Stanton, Hocking, Jerrett, Watson, Howlett, Eades are certainties. Throw in Kelly, Morgan, Long, and McNeice as likely and we are way up there for delistings.

I reckon Mcneice gets another year. Long possibly 1 more as well and if Kelly finishes the year strongly he may go around again too.

I’d add Bird and Mckernan to the list of those in danger.

1 Like

Bird may aswell clean out his locker now. It’s pretty clear the coaches don’t see him as part of our plans going forward which is disappointing as I think he offers more than some of the guys being gifted games each week

12 Likes

I agree, the one game he played he was good, can’t say that for others.

If they were playing Langford or Mutch I wouldn’t care, but Bird is a way better inclusion than Howlett.

3 Likes