List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Webb had a very good game against us a couple of weeks ago in my opinion, assuming he is number 19.

Webb is IMO the type of player we should be targeting.

Where did the Webb thing come from? A bulldogs mate who is a pretty astute football person really rates him

Not sure where the Webb thing came from, but he has been languishing in the Doggies VFL for majority of the season until recently, although dropped for this week. Racking up good numbers in VFL, seems a good size. Was at the the game with a couple of doggies supporters and asked who number 19 was, as he stood out as a strong decent size, good speed, ability to side step, kicked a couple of goals and is young. Hope Dodoro is speaking to his management as would love him and wouldnā€™t cost much.

2 Likes

Surely We have to do a rebuild? With still quite a few older blokes in our best 22 and missing finals (or just scraping in) it isnā€™t worth persisting with.

We have a good core of youngsters but surely itā€™s time to
A) actually debut some youngsters
B) hit the draft as much as we can
C) try and pry away one gun mid to help our crap midfield

1 Like

Masten and Webb both omitted for this weekendā€™s matches.

4 Likes

Our midfield is SH*T

2 Likes

We are a good midfield away from being a good side, thatā€™s basically it imo.

9 Likes

You guys realise we have a pick 1 mid and a pick 4 mid who are in their first and second years? These two will imo, develop into elite mids in a few years.
Throw in the captain whoā€™s 25 and merrett who is all of 22. And we have 4 mids in the elite bracket. (not an unheard of possibility)

Name me another team who has more than 4 gun mids?

Weā€™ve got the absolute top end talent right thereā€¦itā€™ll just take a couple years, with dysons leadership, to develop their game.

This doesnā€™t address one glaring issue tho and that is the need for inside bullsā€¦like what watson was, like what Kennedy is , and sloan and the crouch brothers. Donā€™t get me wrongā€¦all 4 of these mids i mentioned can win the ball i just feel our list is missing a bigger body ā€¦the guy who gets that first handball out. Myers will try for the next couple years but he lacks class and touch

Dont need mastenā€¦dont need webbā€¦dont need pittardā€¦def dont need mcveighā€¦we need inside midsā€¦id love hopper but i reckon we will try and draft one while hoping one can magically appear out of clarke, mutch, langford, francis, laverde or begely

12 Likes

I agree with all that. People keep talking about mids but we have been drafting them and lots of them.
And Begley will be our contested mid. I have high hopes for him.

2 Likes

I think almost the worst thing we could do would be get a whole heap more Craig Bird/Howlett types who are just gunna clog up opportunities for the kids with real talent. Like Begley and Parish and McGrath.

No Jobe next year. Thereā€™s a hole there but also an opportunity.

5 Likes

Iā€™d look at Webb. He can play

2 Likes

One of them already is an elite midā€¦ but he doesnā€™t play for us (you meant pick 5).

What about Macrae from the bulldogs (contracted)

Tom Rockliff is a restricted free agent, we just need to offer more coin than Brisbane - fills the Watson inside Mid Hole.

Harley Balic looking to come home from Freo - hopefully we are working on him.
Darcy Tucker
Brandon Matera
Hopper
Kennedy
Lever
SHould offer Billings and Roberton some coin to up their contracts at the saints, like they did with laverde.

not that many players out of contract

Years Service 	Status

Alex Morgan 2 Gone
Ben Howlett 8 Gone
Brendon Goddard 1 year deal
Brent Stanton 14 Gone
Conor McKenna Hope he is signed up
David Zaharakis will sign
Heath Hocking 12 Gone
Jackson Merrett Gone
Jake Long 3 hope 1 year deal
James Kelly 2 Retire/1 year
Jobe Watson 15 Retired
Joe Daniher 5 Signed
Joshua Green 1 Should get contract extension
Mark Baguley 6 looks cooked but prolly 1 year deal
Sam Draper 1 will be persisted with as long term project
Shaun McKernan Might get 1 year deal as ruck depth
Yestin Eades Delisted

2 Likes

GWS.

Also, this is the outlook of every developing team in the league. They all have a couple of already good players and a few more theyā€™re very confident in. Thatā€™s how carlton supporters feel, and melbourne, and the saints, hell probably brisbane too.

I donā€™t disagree with your conclusion that we need inside mids, Iā€™m just wary of taking the position that weā€™re in an unusually good position with regards to current talent on our list. Iā€™m not interested in trading in 30 year olds, but a 21 year old with room for improvement at the right price? Absolutely.

3 Likes

Forgot about mills bumping us all down but u knew what i meant.

Gee oliver would have been handy

Are you aware that Webb has been playing as an inside midfielder/forward for the dogs VFL side over the past year? Why not get him if he is cheap?

1 Like

I asked a mate who is an assistant at a TAC club who he sees as pick 8-12 range and a potential priority target for us. He said Jack Higgins on talent and output could be top 3 in the country but because of his size is likely to be in our pick range. I floated Constable and before I could finish his name my mate said ā€œabsolute jetā€. He said he thinks Constable is a chance to be a bolter by draft time given his class and size. A good showing in the all stars game could rocket him into the earlier picks. He said he sees Worpel as a perfect need fit for us. He dominated last year but has been consistent this year, but is a full beast at the stoppage. He said heā€™s incredibly strong and would be a direct replacement for Watson and will a player who makes immediate impact like Powell-Pepper did this year. He also said heā€™s quicker than Watsonā€¦which isnā€™t hard. Regarding Cerra he said he has some class but didnā€™t get as complimentary as he was with Constable.

So - Iā€™m putting all my hopes into a Constable or Worpel first pick outcome.

9 Likes

Higgins bandwagon all the way if we have a first round draft pick

2 Likes

Iā€™ve raised this before in the U18 thread - Higgins is under 180cms, and so I wonder about how many more of those we should add to our listā€¦

Similarly, it was mentioned in there by another Blitzer that we had interviewed Moore, who I think is even shorterā€¦

Lastly, I think I heard Brett Anderson talk about how Higgins wasnā€™t doing the last year of VCE, and has already been dedicating all his time to training, so Anderson wondered if that means he is already realising more of his potential, with less upside. But I agree he looks like a natural and nimble and skilful player.

2 Likes