List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

I’ve only seen one VFL game for the year so I can’t comment much on Mutch.
But his stats are interesting for the year.

first 6 games of the year he averaged 19 disposals and 2 tackles.
Since then he’s averaged just over 22 disposals and 3.5 tackles. I think it’s a good sign that a first player is improving as the year goes on. Often the workload wears them down over the year.
The other good sign is the consistency. In the last 9 games he has had between 20 and 25 disposals in every game.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen him play for quite a while but what I saw I have been very happy.

How has he been going playing a more inside mid the last month? Could he possibly develop to be an inside player or is he more just rounding out his game?

He has good vision and can go both sides so my gut says he would be good in close qtrs…

I’m not sure that he’s seen that way, but personally, from what I’ve seen, I reckon he’s more in than out, though he can do both.

1 Like

Re our Midfield overhaul.

I feel like if we can make some smart choices for 1 or 2 lesser lights and can get 1 out and out gun via free agency or throwing big overs or making the hard decision to trade someone of worth, then we’d be resetting as well as we can.

Then we can work in Mutch, Begley and co into the team also next year and hopefully not have to take much of a dip on the ladder.

Think Rockliff is the only FA left assuming Martin stays

Not sure Rockliff is the right age for us but him, Heppell, Merrett, Parish and Zaharakis is a good step forward IMO

If we could nap Rockliff via FA, then try for Kelly or even draft the best possible mid available at our pick then that would be a bigger bonus

Add to that hopefully one of Mutch, Begley and Langford step up into our best 22

Probably wishful thinking but I can’t see why we couldn’t add 1 or 2 quality midfielders to our list over the off season

1 Like

I do not care who we trade or how much money is involved, Get Kelly

2 Likes

Obviously if Kelly or Rockliff can be got terrific. But otherwise, we we to target some young players who have potential but would be cheap. Balic will be available for a 4th round pick or less. A risk, but from reports has significant upside. Webb sounds like a good prospect to, and should cost a third. Griggs at Adelaide has flaws, but would be cheap and could possibly act as our extractor (although I doubt he’s particularly better than Bird, but they won’t play him). Get those thre and we would still have our first and second round picks to use.

Delist/retire Watson, Stanton,Hocking, Jerrett, Morgan (maybe rookie), and Howlett from the senior list and you could have the three above and our required 3 picks.

Edit: obviously Bird may go, and Kelly too. In the above circumstances, I wouldn’t be totally against taking Pittard. Salary has to be used on someone, he’s free, we have to replace Kelly, McGrath (to midfield) and Bags shortly. Redman is looking good, but that is only one piece of the puzzle.

Grigg delisted from the Crows and is back at Norwood. Would be in top 5 for Margarey I’d think, racks up good numbers as a inside mid

1 Like

We need an extractor, with Watson leaving, Bird not being played and Myers currently meh. Would you back us taking Grigg, or Panos, or another SANFL player to fill that hole?

1 Like

I think we could trade one of our Key defenders to GWS for some of their talent. They’re in need of KPP down back.
We aren’t going to play all of Ambo, Hartley, Brown, Franga, Hurley, Ridley and Dea in the same team.

I think Hartley may be the best bet for a trade, as he was from Western Sydney, or Brown.
I’m not sure Dea should be gone mainly due to the fact a small defender spot may open after next season if Bags retires.

Would ideally want to try to bring in some of:

Rockliff
Hopper
Kelly
Martin
Kennedy (GWS)
One of the Saints uncontracted players

Would give up this year’s and next year’s 2nd for Aaron Hall, has proven to be a very good mid at times and he could do with a fresh start.

2 Likes

Panos is the silkier player with a bit more polish but Grigg is the most in and under player in the SANFL and is pure grunt. Gets a lot of touches and uses it well when kicking 15-40m or using hands. Has a pretty long boot and similar to Suckling he tends to stuff a few up when trying to overhit them. His major knock is his lack of pace but that hasn’t stopped guys like Mitchell x2 or Priddis

1 Like

Offer Rockliff 850 over 4. We need a clearance player SO bad

1 Like

Clearance Leaders
1 Patrick Dangerfield
2 Dylan Shiel
3 Dustin Martin
4 Lachie Neale
5 Clayton Oliver
6 Ben Cunnington
7 Callan Ward
8 Tom Rockliff
9 Tom Mitchell
10 Luke Parker
10 Ollie Wines
12 Matt Crouch
13 Josh P. Kennedy
14 Rory Sloane
15 Joel Selwood
15 Taylor Adams
17 Luke Shuey
18 Nat Fyfe
19 Stefan Martin
20 Gary Ablett

If we cant get Rockliff, we should enquire with Sydney on a trade for Luke Parker.

Centre Clearance
1 Dustin Martin
2 Dylan Shiel
3 Joel Selwood
4 Patrick Dangerfield
5 Ben Cunnington
6 Josh P. Kennedy
7 Stefan Martin
7 Rory Sloane
9 Jarryd Lyons
10 Callan Ward
10 Clayton Oliver
12 Gary Ablett
13 Nat Fyfe
13 Luke Shuey
13 Lachie Neale
16 Luke Parker
17 Jack Viney
17 Adam Treloar
17 Taylor Adams
17 Tom Mitchell

IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES

B: FRANGA Ambrose Gleeson
Hb: Mckenna Hurley Ridley
C: Merrett Heppell McGrath
Hf: Tippa Daniher Orazio
F: BBB Hooker Stewart
R: Leuneberger, J. Kelly, Rockliff
Int: Kennedy (Gws), Zaharakis, Hopper, Parish

2 Likes

no way would get kelly, Hopper and Kennedy from GWS. If we got Kelly, that would be it, it would still be good.

1 Like

Kelly and Hopper achievable ?

would need to send a player of Value back GWS way like Francis to balance the trade, wouldnt get it done with just picks.

Hartley, 2017 1st Rounder, 2018 First rounder for Kelly and hopper/kennedy? Surely.

Dodoro get it done