List build - where are we? Where are we going next (Part 1)

Basically stating what everyone here is thinking.

It’s definitely a case of ‘we owe them one’ for the returning players. I can’t see any other reason for our ‘young, up and coming’ team to only blood 2 new players this year whilst all the top 4 fancies debuted at least 4 players!

Thought he was younger, pity he doesn’t qualify as a free agent.

Isn’t Grigg the one EQ said we’d go for at the Ashby pick? 35 in 2012?

I could not agree with the Connolly article above any more. In fairness, Ridley has been only just building after injury, and Long/Redman aren’t where we’d want them form wise.

1 Like

Doubt he would want to come to Essendon, given how his uncle was treated.
Though if the choice was Essendon or no AFL he would take it.

wonder if Libba could be enticed to leave the dogs. Would be a very good pickup

1 Like

Is Jack Trengove shot, or is he worth a fourth-rounder.

Gotta be mids who aren’t getting a gig, eg Mitch Honeychurch.

I know Tom Sheridan was an Essendon fan who isn’t getting a game, but I can’t say I’ve ever thought he was much chop.

Only really thinking of mids. I’d prefer to look at our own guys like Redman and Ridley and McNiece. We will probably need another young tall in there too.

It’s like he just read blitz and wrote that article

Most of it was spot on though

Hence why our delisting at the end of this year and our drafting strategy will give us a good indication of the direction this club is heading

Ripper of an article from Rohan. Spot on about pretty much everything

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be worth a fourth rounder in the rookie draft.

1 Like

Balic would be a good get.
I thought his personal ■■■■■ was more about his old man falling ill (or maybe another family member).

The only worry would be if his injuries and lack of game time (even at WAFL level) has stunted his development.

To be fair it’s pretty obvious that you shouldn’t manage your list Ross Lyon style unless you’re really really close to a flag. And we’re not. And haven’t ever been.

1 Like

We could have played some kids but instead we decided to go back to the well and play howlett, Myers, even colyer and Watson for too many games this season. Massive opportunity wasted and all to finish 9th.

Morgan and Redman don’t even look close to playing seniors, not that it matters anyway as those who look close still can’t get a game

3 Likes

Reasonable article by Rohan but hindsight is 20/20.

We beat Swans and Lions which we should have and we would have a home final at the G’.

But he is right. But shouldn’t have been and a bad 5 minutes of footy across 2 games will cost us big time!

Josh Kelly and Anthony Miles. Get it done.

I think my favourite trope of the year is “stop playing that slow B grader Ben Howlett! Play that JET Craig Bird instead!” but people wanting Anthony Miles is getting close.

5 Likes

Is miles the bloke from Richmond? How many games has he played this season?

He was injured at the beginning of the season. Caddy and Prestia have kept him out, but he is a very handy inside midfielder, which we are going to need. Plus he will come cheap.

It wasn’t a bad 5 minutes. We ■■■■ the bed for the whole last quarter. Brisbane scored 5 unanswered goals in 15 minutes, and 6 goals to 2 for the quarter.

There is a reason for him coming cheap and that is because he would offer us nothing different from what Ben Howlett offers us.

He is Ben Howlett of 2010-12, that’s it, plain and simple.

2 Likes